Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What Tyres for Dyfi Enduro
  • slee182
    Free Member

Looking for some advice on tyre choice for this years (2017) Dyfi Enduro

Any suggestions

qwerty
    Free Member

#rungwhatchabrung

It’s mainly gravel fireroad, rock, slate from what I recall last year. Worry more about what mudguard & waterproof 😉

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Minions are always a good standard. Also a Butcher on the front works for me.

Tougher casing recommended.

Tubeless with sealant. Low pressures.

I’ll be marshalling somewhere on the course.

northerntom
    Free Member

Magic mary or maxxis shorty front, unless it’s bone dry, which it won’t be.

Decent mudguard as well.

dazh

Bit early isn’t it? But after many dyfi’s I still can’t tell you what the right tyres are. If you want to go fast uphill, get light and fast rolling ones and hope you don’t puncture. If you want to go fast downhill, get big tough ones. If you want to do both then something in between. Did it on 2.25 Ardents last year. Seemed about right.

gixernick

29er Hans Dapmfs did me well lat year.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Last year was mostly fireroad climbs and rocky/slate descents, I don’t recall grip being a problem anywhere much. If I were going back this year (wish I was) I’d go for something tough as I can’t be arsed fixing flats in the rain

from what I recall last year. Worry more about what mudguard & waterproof

It was a touch moist 🙂

sandwicheater

Took some Specialized Purgs and managed to get around fine*

*i should point out my bike died the morning the the Dyfi so i’ve no idea what tyres i had on the bike dazh kindly lent me.

dazh

Ardents on that bike too. Just get some ardents!

greyspoke
    Free Member

If you want grip on the descents it will be more about having a soft compound than big knobs. The course can be very wet, almost always with a rocky bottom (but not quite always). A lot of the loose stuff is slatey shards which are just slithery wet or dry. If you want a fast overall time, go for a fast xc tyre, but with volume for the fast rocky descents. You will be on your hardtail if that is the case obv.

I ran a Nobby Nic front/Racing Ralph rear last year on my hardtail and made the cut-off for the first time ever, they worked OK. The big rubber some of the guys above are talking of would definitely drag on the fire-roads, but make the descents more fun. Or less “interesting” depending on your POV.

I am going to take the full sus this year just for a change and won’t be too concerned about speed. I may put the NN/RR combo on that as the alternative would be Magic Mary/ Hans Dampf, which is a bit ott. Or I could buy some new summer tyres for it. Or just run whats on there and sod it. Probably the latter.

BillOddie

Something grippy on the front and something fast rolling on the back.

Set up tubeless.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What Tyres for Dyfi Enduro’ is closed to new replies.