Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What tyres for …Dubai?
  • z1ppy

[Seriously] As my m8’s over for a couple of weeks, and wants to take some new tyres back with him.

It’s for an original Blur Classic, so needs to be relatively thin (2.1), and be able to manage rocks (apparently the terrain is very rocky more than anything else) but still be reasonable fast rolling as he’s an XC boy @ heart… oh and UST would be nice too.

I’m not really sure what to suggest, any idea’s? (or locals?)

catsplums
    Free Member

mountain biking here must be a silly idea I am finding it too hot to do anything woithout air con!!! at the moment it is 40+ in the day and 30+ at night

add to the list for requirements the sand and dust sections too I would have thought!

(PS I am only here for a few weeks so maybe not seeing all the MTB potential so only my opinion 🙂 )

sambob
    Free Member

Maxxis Crossmark?

z1ppy

he lives there all year round, has done for years, and can deal with the heat apparently. Though I believe they tend to go out later in the day… another m8 went over & out biking and said it was horrendous.
    From what he’s said it more about going up dry river beds and rough mountain tracks, rather than trek out over the desert..
    So I imagine it’s what you get used to.

edd

I lived and rode in Dubai for 18 months. Dual ply Maxxis or similarly reinforced tyres are essential, as is Stan’s sealant or equivalent. I rode with the Hot Cogs, a great group of people, if you go out with them say hi from Edd.
    Hot Cog MTB[/url]

edd

…and don’t bother with soft compound tyres, the rocks will destroy them.

AngusWells

Here in Jordan I would immagine some of the terrain is similar to that in Dubai, especially from your description. I use Michelin XCR Dry[2] in 2′ variety and my son is on Conti Speed King 2.2. My son doesn’t rate his Contis – too sketchy on hard stony surfaces and they are proving to be pretty fragile. However, I’m pleased with the way my Michelins are performing, even though they are dual compound. They are quick and quite secure. Just cary lots of spare tubes and patches so I can’t comment on UST but I’m not sure I’d want to risk it.

ilovemygears
    Free Member

tell him to stop supporting a dictatorship that does not believe in human rights…

z1ppy

Any other suggestions, from the bored Mondayite’s?

Prefereably about tyres…

mboy
    Free Member

Either the Maxxis Crossmarks, Michelin Dry2, or Hutchinson Cobra/Cougar combo I’ve been running lately.

The Michelin Dry2’s are awesomely fast, and grippy for what they are though perhaps not as grippy up front as the other suggestions. The name “Dry2” puts UK buyers off them, hence they can be bought very cheaply in the UK.

Crossmarks are ace, just been trying a 2.25 60a compound on the back of my bike and it’s much grippier than it looks like it should be. Not quite as fast rolling as the Michelin’s or the near semi slick Hutchinson Cobra, but fast enough.

The Hutchinson’s are way better than they look like they should be too. Proper UST case here in the case of my tyres yet they’re still only about 600g each. Super fast rear tyre combined with a front which is slightly more agressive helps with confidence and grip etc. Again way grippier than they look. But not cheap!

Whatever he gets, proper UST casings are pretty much a must if riding rocky terrain, as is some sealant. Shame his bike wouldn’t fit the 2.3″ Michelin Dry2’s in as they have a heavily reinforced casing (yet still only weigh 700g each) that seals tubeless very well, a slightly softer grippier compound, are a good size yet still very fast, and are silly cheap from On One right now!

christofalus
    Free Member

Visited Dubai in March this year and had a fantastic time mountain biking in the wadis in Shawka with one of the hot cogs. Possibly the hardest mountain biking I have done to date, there are no soft landings if you overcook a corner, just lots of rocks. It is the only time I have ever had to wait for camels to get off the trail.
    I ran Maxxis LUST High Rollers, 2.35 on the front and 2.1 on the back, with sealant, I ran at about 30 psi, 5 psi lower than normal, which worked well for me. I was advised to run tubeless with sealant due to the number of punctures you would otherwise get from pinch flats and thorny bushes.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What tyres for …Dubai?’ is closed to new replies.