Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What Tyres for Antur Stiniog
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

Well it makes a change from the Bike Park Wales threads!

I am thinking full on DH tyres for not loads of money and was going to get some Muddy Marys but they have sold out from where I was going to get them from and I can’t see any others at that sort of price. Everything is coming out at about £70 for the pair, I missed out on the £20 each on one deal and now the £25 each Bike Discount deal.

I think Dual Ply and super soft rubber is the best bet. I just cant find what I want for the price I want to pay.

I cant even see any second hand Minions!

Any ideas or does anybody want to sell me something?

patriotpro
    Free Member

Hans Dampf
    Smorgasbord

What’s up with your HRs?

Northwind

Butchers are good and can sometimes be found for not much money (because they’re not cool)

Having said that I just used a regular singleply on the back with a little extra pressure, no bother. It’s fast and rough but as long as you stay on track it’s not really tyre-slashy (offtrack is another story, lots of loose flints, it punishes strava-dicks hilariously)

I_Ache
    Free Member

Mate of mine, who is admittedly bloody fast, destroyed his tyres and recommended dual ply. I want the super tacky for skill compensation.

I currently have a ST High Roller 2.35 on the front and a 60a Larson 2.35 on the back. Great for trail centres, not so much for full on DH.

The Butchers look like a carbon copy of the Minion.

What are they like on size?

st

High Rollers, Minions etc, dual ply and softish all good. No need for mud tyres as apart from odd patches is’s all imported surfacing / rocks

peachos
    Free Member

have you looked on on-one? they had schwalbe on cheap recently

rascal
    Free Member

I recently used single ply ‘normal’ High Rollers with DH tubes pumped right up. One off and no flats – worked for me.

I_Ache
    Free Member

ST I was thinking of the muddy marys as they are supposed to be a really good all round tyre. My local is Style Cop and as you know it can get a bit wet down there, do you run Minions at Style Cop?

Northwind

I_Ache – Member

The Butchers look like a carbon copy of the Minion.

Similiar but with a bit of progress… Even made by the same people.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Least tyre-fussy place I can think of. It’s a BMX-esque all-weather surface.
    Anything will do so long as it’s tough enough to resist being cut by the local slate.
    Dual ply HR/Minnion for me.

havinalaff
    Free Member

Where you from? Ive got some nearly new 2.5 st high rollers dual plys here in telford. Might be on your way to antur.

I_Ache
    Free Member

North Brum, I will probably be going straight past Telford.

What would you want for them?

chakaping
    Free Member

I think Dual Ply and super soft rubber is the best bet

Yep, but no need for sticky rubber on the rear – it’s fast and rocky.

Minions £30 each at CRC isn’t amazing value but by no means a rip off either…
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/maxxis-minion-dhf-front-mtb-tyre-dual-ply/rp-prod4620

I_Ache
    Free Member

They are out of stock on the 2.5s and if they wern’t they are £37 🙁

havinalaff
    Free Member

30 quid the pair

I_Ache
    Free Member

havinalaff can you mail me. Mail in profile.

Thanks

havinalaff
    Free Member

Already sent one

havinalaff
    Free Member

Also got some st swamp things and michy dh tyres.

Sandwich

Hurrah not too late. Round and black do for me.

st

L Ache,

Minions in the Spring – Autumn for the cop then Swampthings for the winter. Picked up some Wet Screams of a chap during the Summer but can’t see me using them as a pair.

Muddy Marys look as though they might be decent enough though. Depends on how you’re riding at the Cop. A pair of Minion Fs with something more mud oriented for the front in winter would be my choice if I was looking to keep to a sensible number of tyres.

It’s mentioned above but I’d be wanting maximum puncture resistance for Arthur, easy to catch the back tyre on hard edges. A couple of us have been trying tubeless ont he big bikes and last visit to Arthur was great, a fair few sealant burps but some proper hammer on the back wheel and other than a quick top up of air halfway through the day no issues.

Running tubes I’d want dual ply tyres with DH tubes. That way you can run whatever pressure you prefer and reduce the risk of losing uplifts while you go back to the car to swap tubes.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, its too difficult to turn down havinalaff. I am used to High Rollers too so there shouldn’t be much adapting needed.

I’m planning on getting some DH tubes too, I might even put a bit of sealant in for extra measure but maybe not as they will only go in for DH sessions.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Do you want to offload one of the HRs? If so are they folding?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Both of the High Rollers are going on my bike mate. Gonna grip like shit to the bed sheets.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What Tyres for Antur Stiniog’ is closed to new replies.