Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • what tyre pressure for cx bike?
  • Gooner
    Free Member

riding a mixture of roads and frie roads

thanks

RestlessNative
    Free Member

I run my maxxis raze at about 65-70 psi for the same thing

clubber
    Free Member

I run my Conti Speed King 35mms at 85psi but I weigh 16 stone.

convert

50-55ish off road, 60-65 mixed.

traildog
    Free Member

The eternal question. Cross races are full of people talking about what pressure to run. I'm light, so can usually get away with lower pressures. However, for those conditions I would say about 60psi but I usually run about 40-50psi.

JoB
    Free Member

somewhere between pinch-flat and eyeball-rattling, YMMV

RestlessNative
    Free Member

hmmm yeah JoB hit the nail on the head there

clubber
    Free Member

Exactly but it'd save the OP some pinch flats to get an idea of where to start 🙂

FWIW, for road and fireroad which should basically be smooth and non-technical I'd be running as much pressure as I could to make it roll better.

crazy-legs

What JoB said!

For proper off-road use it's a really tricky balance between pinch flats or zero traction eyeball rattling, there's a very narrow band where it just feels right. For me (at just over 10st) it's about 70psi.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

thems some high pressures. for cross racing I have run 30-35 on softer ground with normal tyres (at around 13 stone). but generally as JoB said. but i would go soft as you can.

nbt

I run mine at 100psi, but I don;t race, I use it for commuting: road on the way in to work, 50/50 split road and off road on the way home. Might try a lower pressure but with 28mm tyres I doubt it'll make a huge difference to the comfort, but it might increase the risk of me pinch-flatting

traildog
    Free Member

By the way, if all you are doing is fire roads and tarmac then get some solid big touring style tyres on there and then you can run lower pressures.

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

You've mentioned pinch flats. Anyone been using tubeless on their cross bikes? Thinking of getting a rim strip from justridingalong and trying it out for the rear wheel on mine.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘what tyre pressure for cx bike?’ is closed to new replies.