Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What Tyre Lever
  • soobalias
    Free Member

Ive just had the toughest tyre filled evening and am now in the market for a super tyre lever (and possibly a compressor)

Having played the ghetto tubeless game, im used to tricky to seat/seal tyres. Having put a new set of 2.5 UST SuperTacky Minions on a pair of 823’s i thought i had experienced tight.

However the pair of Maxxis ADvantage 2.1 LUSTs ive spent the evening wrestling definately take first prize. OMG tight, Muthaphukka tight, aaaaarrrgh my thumbs tight.

One is now on a stans crest rim, with a tube – stretching itself @ 50psi
    the other wouldnt go, i decided to pop it on an old rim with a tube to stretch it a bit and even struggled with that. Even using a tyre lever, or rather three tyre levers, all now broken. Its on, its a start……

i need a new tyre lever and i want one that kicks arse.

(i swear maxxis are getting tighter and stickier)

h4muf
    Free Member

Pedros. End of.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Soma. Steel-core. As tough as an economy class sandwich on BA. 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

Pedros. +1

rewski
    Free Member

Pedros all the way

fasthaggis

Pedros,and for some OTTness ,take some wet n dry over the edges 😉

druidh
    Free Member

Pedros. Great to use and bright colours so you won’t lose it them the trailside.

Tracey

Ive got one of these, tyres on and of in seconds

Northwind

My pedros ones have been relegated to the toolbox in teh car- not a patch on Lezyne’s powerlever IMO.

birly-shirly
    Free Member

I have a couple of Lezyne saber levers. Steel I think. Mostly they sit in the toolbox – but just knowing that they’re there scares most tyres onto the rim.

superfli
    Free Member

The only tough ones I have used have been the Pedros ones. They are excellent. Makes fitting Dual ply tyres a doddle, just like standard tyres now.

BenjiM

Topeak Shuttle lever. Surprisingly Good!

z1ppy

Tracey, wtf is that?

Pedro’s here, never failed me yet, loved my Soma’s but the plastic eventually cracked off the inner metal core.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i’ve got some nice yellow Pedros. they seem pretty unstoppable.

Tracey

Its a CYCLO Tools Tyre Removal and Fitting Tool, saves me breaking my nails

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YtPRjMrcwFw

PaulD
    Free Member

Remember, if you have this much trouble fitting them at home, just imagine the fun/walk when it goes wrong on a cold, wet dark ride.

Bright colours are good, and Park sell packs of 3 for a reason…I always have 3 levers (2 on Hummer and a loose Park) in the ‘Bak.

PaulD

z1ppy

Cheers… a tad industrial for my backpack 😉
    Looks good though.

davemonty
    Free Member
    Tracey

We have got one in Kevins backpack

z1ppy

😯

rocketman
    Free Member

I don’t want a badge or anything but I find it fairly easy to remove & refit tyres without levers.

Stubborn tyre/rim combinations can be overcome by unseating the bead from the rim then pushing the tyre back into the well of the rim. It creates enough slack for the tyre to move in the rim and then it’s easy to get the bead over the edge. Dual ply wire bead 2.5s no probs.

I used to have some Bontrager rims that were a total PITA but it was only because they were just a little bit ‘aero’

I_Ache
    Free Member

After using spoons for years and bending some on a D321/Wildgripper DH Comp 24 (IIRC) I got some metal levers from halfords. Now these levers need to be handled carefully as they don’t have a plastic covering and are just plane metal but they work fantastically.

swavis

The worst combination I’ve ever had to fit were Intense dual ply Intruders on Sun MTX rims, I invented a whole new language getting them on. As a result I bought these Park tyre irons and they’ve never met they’re match 😀

soobalias
    Free Member

thanks rocketman, if only i had known that

still i think thats a record on STW, nearly 15hrs of good advice

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What Tyre Lever’ is closed to new replies.