Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • what type of wood do I have?
  • roper
    Free Member

Can anyone identify which tree this wood came from?
    Wet

and dry

lerk
    Free Member

Teak?
    What is it, garden furniture?

stumpy01

Yeah. Looks like teak to me.

perchypanther
    Free Member

what type of wood do I have?

Morning?

Pigface
    Free Member

Sod your wood we want arachnids 🙂

roper
    Free Member

It has been cut 13.5cm wide 2cm deep, I have two pieces of different lengths. I was told they came from a ship wreck and are quite old. I have no idea how true this is but we don’t have exotic woods here, just pine. It is quite heavy for its size. I need to work with it but wanted to check what I have first.

crankboy
    Free Member

visually and from your description mahogany my granddad was a cabinet maker in the shipyards fitting out liners such as the Aquitania my family have a house full of furniture he and my dad made from mahogany liberated from work and a cellar with the bits they never got round to repurposing.

chiefgrooveguru

Mahogany was my first thought. The grain tends to be tighter than in teak, it’s usually a bit denser and has a more reddish tinge – but wood varies a lot from location to location and tree to tree.

philb88
    Free Member

Got any pieces without a finish on top? Much easier to tell then

roper
    Free Member

Maybe some spiders soon pigface :D.
    The photos are of the wood untreated. The cut sides are the same colour as the side in the photos.
    I am looking for a natural look so I am unsure about varnishing, oiling or waxing the wood.

ajantom

Might be Sapele – though Mahogany or Teak are a possibility too. Top picture looks a bit too red for Teak. I’d go for an oiled finish – something like Danish oil is easy to apply and gives a nice even, slightly shiny finish.
    Be aware that the dust from many tropical hardwoods can act as a skin and respiratory irritant.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

My money is on Afromosia.

slowoldman

Morning?

Ah you too? I think it’s age related.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Morning?

Ah you too? I think it’s age related.

We will find out on Facebook soon enough

philb88
    Free Member

Could be very aged Iroko, green tinged colour when fresh sawn. But darkens quickly to a deep brown when exposed to UV

muddy_bum
    Free Member

You might find it on here:
    The Wood database

I’m going with Mahogany

slackalice
    Free Member

Afromosia could be a good shout actually.

Does the grain reverse at any point? If so, then it could be a mahogany/sapele/ tropical hardwood. I’m not convinced it Iroko unless it’s been previously stained as per the top pic.

The bottom pic doesn’t tell me much as it just shows how all untreated wood tends to go when exposed to UV. A wider shot of the board to see the fuller grain pattern would be handy if you really want to know what it is.

Best supposition at the mo is that it’s a tropical hardwood and oil will work nicely for the type of natural finish you say you’re seeking.

philb88
    Free Member

Definitely tropical, all the mahogany, iroko, padauk, sapele etc get that white powdered look when exposed. Be nice to sand it back then oil, for a richer colour and grain!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘what type of wood do I have?’ is closed to new replies.