Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • What tow-ball mounted bike rack?
  • dangriff
    Free Member

Need to carry 2 bikes and would like something secure supplied with a light board.

Recommendations?

boxelder

Thule are good quality and value. We have a 3 bike version, which will distance two bikes and avoid hassles.

weeksy

as above, 2nd hand Thule.

stevious

Can’t speak for any other racks but our Thule is great. We bought it 2nd hand.

igm

As above, buy a 3 bike one and seperate the bikes a bit more.

Check the weight rating if you have DH / AM bikes to carry. Also check the cars nose weight.

Then check the Roofbox company. We’ve just bought our second Aterra from there. Sold the first one (six year old original Strada – which is now the DL) on and bought an EVO for the slightly better separation and load capacity.

Roofbox’s range of other options and info on the site is superb.

occamsrazor
    Free Member

Would help if people can list which model they are using, not just the brand. Anyone using the Thule 9503 (or its 2-bike cousin the 9502)?

househusband

Another vote for Thule. Not only for model range and function but also for spares availability; mine is over six years old and spare parts are readily available.

weeksy

Mine seems to be a 9503.

It’s great… it’s off to France on Friday…. with me 🙂

dangriff
    Free Member

I need to pick one up on the way home tonight, so only options are what’s in stock at my local Halfrauds.

How is the Thule Xpress Pro 970 Bike Carrier? They have it for £51.29.

It’s only to take the two kids bikes, and carried on a volvo, so weight is unlikely to be an issue.

weeksy

dangriff – Member

I need to pick one up on the way home tonight, so only options are what’s in stock at my local Halfrauds.

How is the Thule Xpress Pro 970 Bike Carrier? They have it for £51.29.

It’s only to take the two kids bikes, and carried on a volvo, so weight is unlikely to be an issue.

I gave that type (not thule) away for free… hated it with a passion, bikes flap about all over the place etc.

slowoldman

Thule 921. Apparently not available at Halfords though.

dantsw13

I’ve just bought a buzzrack Quattro 4 bike carrier – really happy, just driven to Cornwall with 5 bikes strapped to it ( 3 kids, smallest one bungee’d to the 4th bike.

It may not need to be Halfords. Google your local towbar fitter – most will stock bike racks too.

househusband

Would help if people can list which model they are using, not just the brand.

Euro 908 2-Bicycle.

mrben101
    Free Member

Atera STRADA DL was the rack of choice when I asked a while back. Finally got the tow bar fitted but not got round the buying the rack yet!

davewalsh
    Free Member

+1 for the thule 9503. I got mine second hand 5 years ago and has been used weekly since. Neither the bikes or the rack have never moved in use. One thing to watch out for is the neoprene on the downtube support eventually wears through and leaves metal on metal contact. Mine has been fixed using the free chain stay protectors supplied with magazines.

brassneck

You’ve left it a bit late, but my MaxxRaxx is great – simple and effective.

occamsrazor
    Free Member

Glad to hear some recommendations for the 9503, thank you. I have to pull the trigger on a rack soon and had been wondering what extra you are really getting by jumping from the 180-quid 9503 to the 300/400+ quid other models.
    I notice the more expensive carriers tighten around the towball with a lever whereas the cheaper 9503 you need to use a spanner – how easy is this and how wobble-free is the rack?

project
    Free Member
    Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I notice the more expensive carriers tighten around the towball with a lever whereas the cheaper 9503 you need to use a spanner – how easy is this and how wobble-free is the rack?

Really is a one minute job to lift on, run bolt up finger tight, then 3 or 4 nips with big spanner. Very wobble free, must be a sort of elyptical shape too, as it self centres as well.

As above, I have a 9503, but don’t even try to put 3 bikes on it nowadays, too much faffing, not well enough spaced for 3 bikes, especially 3 big bolt through full sussers. I keep meaning to modify it by spacing the bike carriers an inch further apart, just no got round to it.

occamsrazor
    Free Member

You’ve left it a bit late, but my MaxxRaxx is great – simple and effective.

Regarding these type of carriers where the bikes hang from an arm on the top-tube – what I don’t understand is what there is to stop each bike from swinging into the next bike, or indeed the first bike from swinging into the car boot?

househusband

I’d go for the clamp as it is a 3second job with the Thule I have, and the clamp has a lock.

Another consideration for you might be whether or not the bike carrier tilts down to allow boot access.

danrandon
    Free Member

we purchased one of these for the 2nd car, hold 3 bikes and tilts.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/mont-blanc-tow-travel-3-id_8313339.html

been all over the UK with it and no hassles with it. Very stable and easy to mount. lever type fitting to towball and has a lockable cover.

Shadow
    Free Member

Ive just used an Atera STRADA DL 3 bike model, for touring round France for 2 weeks and its been absolutely fantastic

andermt
    Free Member

Another vote for the Atera Strada, been using one for about 3-4 years now and been excellent, done a few alps trips with it now and no issues, even at silly speeds on the Autobahn. LOL

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Another + for Atera, got the 2 heavy bike model.

andyl
    Free Member

I’ve got the cheaper Thule 3 bike 9503. Bought it second hand and didn’t want to spend too much as I really wanted the old folding one that you could add a 4th set of fittings to but they are hard to find 2nd hand. They have just released the new easyfold but it only does 2 bikes which is a bit pants but it does look quite slick with a locking lever to the tow ball and foot pedal for the tilt. Watching the videos though it looks like the locking arms don’t lock to the rack, unless they have a mechanism that locks with the bike clamp?

Nick-Scots
    Free Member

I have an old 9503. It locks on the ball with a lever and needs a key to get it back off the tow ball. Although it is a bit bouncy with three bikes on, as long as you are slow over speed bumps it has been perfect for about 8 years now. We use old inner tubes to avoid frame to frame or metal to metal rubbing.

Euro
    Free Member

A got a Thule Xpress Pro 970 from Halfords a few months back. Holds two 30lbs bikes firmly on bumpy roads and at motorway speeds on er…motorways. Hard to beat for 51 pounds and 29 pee.

matt_outandabout

Thread hijack – 4 bike carrier suggestions as well.

Must be lever/qr type / foolproof as possible, as kids and mrs_oab will be taking it on and off….

Must be good separation and weight, as the kids bikes will only get bigger….

hot_fiat

Atera strada with the 4th bike adapter?

belugabob
    Free Member

I have the Thule 9503 too, and it’s been faultless for the roughly 5 years that I’ve had it.
    Fitting 3 bikes isn’t really that difficult – some combinations (Depending on who I’m picking up) may require removal of a seat post, but a few strategically placed pieces of pipe lagging stop rubbing.

I use a deep 19mm socket and a torque wrench to tighten the tow ball connection, but that takes about a minute at the most. 5 minutes to load the rack and bikes is about normal.

FOG

Anybody used the Aiston ones which seem very reasonably priced? I noticed that the wheel loops were only 60mm wide which might mean you have to deflate tyres if you are using 2.25+ tyres

codybrennan
    Free Member

I’ve got a Buzzrack Quattro, and there’s just nothing as good for the money.

brassneck

Regarding these type of carriers where the bikes hang from an arm on the top-tube – what I don’t understand is what there is to stop each bike from swinging into the next bike, or indeed the first bike from swinging into the car boot?

The most inboard can’t swing against the car as the upright from the tow ball is in the way – covered with pipe lagging to protect finishes. The upright also curves a bit out.
    The next bikes are loaded onto the hangers, and pushed against the next in line as best fit dictates.
    Finally, the ratchet strap cinches it all down and holds it really tight – they don’t swing about at all.
    Number board just hangs off a hook. Also has an integrated cable lock that seems pretty resistant to all but bolt cutters.

It doesn’t sound promising in print, but they are well worth checking out. 5 minutes to load, fully secure for long runs and you can get a 5 bike bar – I’m running 2 adult bikes, a 24″, a 20″ no trouble (the 16″ is broken up and in the boot – but I’m toying with the 5 bike bar, can be bought as an add on).

Potdog
    Free Member

How does that Buzzrack go on with the bigger tyre sizes? Does it fit a good 2.3 / 2.4 ok?

More to the point, will it take 4 bigish AM bikes?

wheelie

Fog. I have an Aiston 3 bike carrier. 2.3 or 2.4 will slot in nicely, and yes wil take 4 big DH bikes…..as long as your car will take it!
    I have had one or two carriers over the years and this is the best by far. It is infinitely adjustable sideways so that you do not clash the 1st and third bike bars, very secure and just need 18mm spanner to clamp everything together. Rack breaks down to nothing when not being used. Just a bit heavier than the average, but sturdy. Robin is a hell of a nice guy too. He will build what you want and what ever bike spacings you want. Give him a call.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If anyone is interested I’ve got a Thule EuroWay 3 bike rack for sale
    It’s cheap.£50.
    Why? Because it’s been damaged. The back bar that holds the lights has been bent in after I was hit from behind. All the lights are fine, the tilt still works etc and it’s structurally fine.
    Email in profile if anyone is interested.

occamsrazor
    Free Member

The next bikes are loaded onto the hangers, and pushed against the next in line as best fit dictates.
    Finally, the ratchet strap cinches it all down and holds it really tight – they don’t swing about at all.

Apologies for the delay in replying and thanks for your explanation. So if I’m reading it right the bikes do touch each other as they are sandwiched together with the ratchet strap? Seems the platform-type towbar racks would have advantage in this respect in terms of separating and protecting your bike from scratches/damage etc, particularly if you happen to drive offroad sometimes.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Be very wary of the total weight on the 4 bike carriers. It’s a lot hanging out the back there for most cars. Check the ball weight!

dantsw13

Potdog – re the buzz rack it would be fine with 4 AM bikes. As above , check the nose weight of your vehicle for towbar mounting – I drive a 4×4 which is 95kg nose weight, so fine for the rack and 4 bikes at about 80kg.

I would reccommend pedals off on a wheel mounted rack, just to make the fit easier, but it will be ok with them on. The clamps accommodate all frame tube shapes and sizes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘What tow-ball mounted bike rack?’ is closed to new replies.