Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What Touring bike frameset?
  • scruff9252

I curently have an On One Pompetamine set up as a touring bike running 3×9, front and back racks, dynamo hubs and 36hole Sputnik rimmed wheelset that feels like they could outlive a nuclear blast…

I like the thin tube steel look, I like the disk brakes, I like the knowledge that due to the tubing I an stick it in a CTC bike sandwich bag, throw it in a plane and it’ll be fine despite baggage handlers efforts. Over the summer I rode it across France over two weeks in the summer and it was as comfy as a sofa and carried the weight of camping stuff admiably.

However the ride is dull, the paint is seems to get chipped by the wind and the bike weighs more than Jupiter.

I will either get it re-powder coated or replaced, but if replaced what would match the good atributes of the Pomp and improve on the negatives?

One option would be the Surly disk trucker, but this seems to weigh the same as the pomp…

MoreCashThanDash

Something from Spa Cycles. Steel or Ti. Not lightweight’s but proper touring experts and great value.

RustySpanner

Can you cope with narrower tyres?

There’s a disc version of the Spa Tourer out shortly, to be called the Wayfarer, I believe.
    Tried a prototype at the shop, one of the nicest steel frames I’ve ridden. Planted yet still fun.

I ended up with a Disc Trucker, as I wanted to use bigger tyres.
    Not massively heavy as a frame and fork, about the same as a Croix de Fer, but much more able, imo.
    Not as stodgy as I was expecting – steering not at all barge like.
    Absolutely unaffected by load.
    A very pleasant bike all round.
    Very happy with it.

Wife has an AWOL, which despite having different size wheels rides very similarly to the Trucker, perhaps a little slower steering and a slightly more relaxed feel than the Surly overall.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

In the tradition of recommending own bike I’m saying Genesis Vagabond? Ticks all my corresponding boxes anyway.

simondbarnes

Very happy indeed with my Genesis Tour de Fer. Not exactly light but then once luggage is added nothing is.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HUfGV4]Bowness on Windermere[/url] by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/wUhS6F]Anglesey-17[/url] by Simon Barnes, on Flickr

PJ266
    Free Member

I’m in the same boat and think I will be plumping for a disc trucker.

steelfan
    Free Member

Fairlight Faran

Dom Thomas the ex Genesis designer now designs these. I plan to get one later next year.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^ Looks nice!

Listed (medium sized) weights for comparison

Faran = 3.40 KG (frame and fork)
    Vagabond = 3.88KG (frame, fork, headset and seat-clamp)
    Tour De Fer 725 = 3.90KG. (frame, fork, headset and seat-clamp)

slowster
    Free Member

However the ride is dull, the paint is seems to get chipped by the wind and the bike weighs more than Jupiter.

I will either get it re-powder coated or replaced, but if replaced what would match the good atributes of the Pomp and improve on the negatives?

Presumably the handling only feels dull, and you you only notice the heavy weight of the Pompetamine, when you are riding it unladen? From what you write, the Pompetamine sounds perfect for what you need when you are touring heavily laden. Instead it sounds like what you want is a second bike, whether a full on race bike, a more lightweight fast touring or sportive type bike, or a ‘gravel’ style bike.

I think that otherwise you are in danger of spending a lot of money trying to make a tough heavy touring bike into something it isn’t really suited to being.

Does it even make sense to get the Pompetamine resprayed? As it is now, you can probably happily accept any chips the frame gets from being handled roughly on tour, but in your shoes if I got it resprayed I would only be upset when the inevitable happened and the new paint job was scratched by baggage handlers or by hard wear and tear on tour.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

In the STW tradition of advise with what you own..

Why not a Salsa Vaya?

Love mine.

ampthill

Wife has an AWOL, which despite having different size wheels rides very similarly to the Trucker, perhaps a little slower steering and a slightly more relaxed feel than the Surly overall.

Really? Aren’t they both 700c?

Any way I feel duty bound to give a Tour De Fer warning

I have ridden this years drop bar bike and it is very, very long.

I did a bit of googling and this years drop bar bike is using last years flat bar frame geometry. I’m not sayin it can’t be made to work but it seems to have 20mm more reach than any other drop bar frame I that I’m aware of. So as they say “Try before you buy”

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Cotic Escapade? Got mine a month ago and use it for touring and commuting. Lovely lively ride and well sorted geometry.

RustySpanner

The Surly has 26″ wheels on a 50cm frame.
    The AWOL is a small.

The Surly definitely has lighter steering with less of a self centering effect.

Tried both the 2015 and 2016 (flat bar) Tour de Fer, but found both had quite a bit of toe overlap, on the small sizes at least.
    Found the Vagabond better in this respect.

The Spa, AWOL and Disc Trucker didn’t have the same issue.

thomthumb
    Free Member

vaya – i don;t love mine: but it’s a great tourer.

I want a more lively ride – probably a proper cross bike or a more lively gravel bike. I think my vaya and I are about to split. I’m sure i’ll miss it though.

what size pometamine. interested in a frame swap?

skink2020

After many years of faithful service, my Dawes Audax touring bike has failed at the bottom bracket.
    I’ve ordered a sonder Camino Al as a replacement. I think it’ll work out well. Like the look of the geometry(which except for the long seat tube, looks similar).

velosam
    Free Member

That salsa looks lovely. But in terms of touring bikes I think spa offer great vfm.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

2105 Ridgeback Panorama Deluxe?

http://www.paulmilnescycles.com/ridgeback-panorama-deluxe-road-touring-frameset-reynolds-853-frame–520-fork-3282-p.asp

I saw a thread somewhere featuring the frameset fitted (alternately) with three different-sized wheels/tyre combos from 26″ MTB with biggish tyres, thru 650b and 700c, so must be versatile.

Reynolds 853 tubing in that ‘Raleigh Stowaway’ metallic bronze/green is nice as.

2016 is not ugly either (met burnt orange)

*Edit: Those pics (scroll down) http://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=106675&sid=9534ce710f9377fa37aa1f6b04f5063b&start=120#top

highlandman
    Free Member

How about a Shand Stoater custom?
    Have cake, and eat it. For a price…
    That’ll build up onto a very lively tourer frame if you want that, yet still be capable of crossing continents.

epicyclo

scruff9252 – Member
    …However the ride is dull…

Put a carbon fork on it. Makes a huge difference.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What Touring bike frameset?’ is closed to new replies.