Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • what tool for cutting braided hoses?
  • swoosh
    Free Member

got som enew brakes with braided hoses problem is that the hoses are super long so need cutting down before they throw me from the bike while wrapping themselves round a tree or branch. so what tool do i need to cut them down?

jonathan
    Free Member

A really good cable cutter and a nice firm action – something like this Park one. Something similar should be available from any good hardware/tool place.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Used the Park one on mine. Did it very well too

uplink
    Free Member

or cable cutters

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

yup, did mine with cable cutters too

more here

convert

This has to be the hardest and most annoying job I’ve done on a bike in years. Well, not the cable cutting bit, but getting the olive and end off my hope hoses and then managing to fit them back on again. Total pain in the butt.

jonathan
    Free Member

Yep – getting the olive over the braids is super-annoying.

In terms of recent jobs I’ve done it’s almost as annoying as refitting the circlip into Hope mini levers… I think I nearly stabbed myself to death with my crappy circlip pliers in desperation 😉

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

leave the olive on and try and reuse if it’s a Hope one, like convert said, it isnt much fun

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Goodridge fittings are easy.

FieldMarshall

Did this for the first time myself last night on my Moto V2s having swapped brakes between frames.

Tried twice using a hacksaw but just kept getting really fraid braiding and nearly impossible to get olive on. Wasted about 3 hours.

Bit the bullet today and bought some side cutters from LBS. Best £20 I have spent. Cut clean as a whistle and olive went on a treat first time. Although I still had to cut off plastic sheath on hose to get olive on.

Probably wont need cutters again for sometime, but sometimes having the right tool is so much easier.

boobs

Put some masking tape where you are going to cut and chop it with a chisel. It’s how we do our braided hoses at work.

Mrtrotter
    Free Member

usually use a sharp junior hacksaw.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘what tool for cutting braided hoses?’ is closed to new replies.