Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • what tool do i need?
  • chris_mbuk
    Free Member

ok so ive just dug out an old frame i want to sell and i need to get the cranks off it the cranks are similar to these

http://www.simpsoncycles.co.uk/product.php/566/shimano_alivio_m410_alivio_square_taper_chainset_8_speed_42_32_22t_black_170_mm

ive only got the thick allen key and the parktool crank remover, when i take the top caps off both sides of my crank arms i see a square underneath with a small hole looks like i need to screw something into it? i think my tools wont do the job for that, what tool do i need thx

chris_mbuk
    Free Member
    scaredypants

if it’s a sq taper then the top caps you removed are probably the crank retaining bolts that screw into the threads you can see

now you need a crank extractor (assuming the inside of the crank arm has a large thread cut into it), or a trip to a bike shop wiv a packet of biscuits and a winning smile (are you ever going to use the tool again ?). Or you could just ride it a getly for a bit with the bolts out and cranks may just fall off (might damage the tapers though)

Edit: yeah, that I’d expect.

WHere do you live ? Someone on here might lend you one

julianwilson
    Free Member

What model number is your park tool crank remover? CP22 and CWP 7 will both be fine, as will the x-tools one you liked to in your 2nd post.

In order for people to have conficdence in your frame you will also want to get the bottom bracket out too. Cartridge bottom bracket tool is what ou want, lots available for a few quid. I wouldn’t buy a frame with a bb still in cos I would have no way of knowing if it was stuck in (it happens) or if the bottom bracket threads were trashed (that happens too!).

funkynick

Just be careful.. the Park crank tool I have came with two different sized ends, one for Octalink/ISIS, and one for square taper… you need the smaller of the two for square taper.

scaredypants

yeh, wot JW said about the BB – and my bet is it’ll be a bugger to shift.

Do you have the relevant BB tool ? Make sure you find a way to “clamp” it on as otherwise v likely to slip & do some damage (to your knuckles)

get onto park website to confirm thread directions etc unless you’re already sure

(or trip to a shop with biscuits plus a bit of cash ??)

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

model of my tool id ccp-44 ?

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

ill take it to the bike shop tomorrow it will be easier, he will prob do it for free as i took my wheel today and he trued it a lil for free cause im his best customer xD

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘what tool do i need?’ is closed to new replies.