Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What to use to prevent cables/hoses rubbing against my frame?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

Helitape or thicker stick on patches?

bassspine
    Free Member

mbuk free stickers 🙂

italspark
    Free Member

put the bike in the garage then dont ride it like all the muppets that have been complaining about the snow on this forum

bananaworld
    Free Member

Go fixed and brakeless.

No cable rub and all the cool kids will worship you.

Ambrose

100 x 10 mm strips of innertube. Concertina them and pierce with a nail so that you have a series of holes running along the strip. Thread onto the cable. Repeat as needed. Not particularly neat, tidy or attractive but will do the job.

Or do what sensible people do- run full outers.

_tom_
    Free Member

My frame came with some kind of stick-on pad that goes on the frame. Seems to work ok and doesn't look offensive.

Ewan
    Free Member

Park stick on puncture repair patches – cost about a quid and they're transparent.

james
    Free Member

Second park tool puncture repair patches, either use a whole one on the frame, or cut in half and wrap around the offending outer cable/brake hose

I use middleburn cable oilers on my gear/seatpost cables to push any crud that gets inside the (full) outer cables with WD40. I've positioned them along the length of the outer such that the rubber O-ring seal touches the head tube sepearting the outer cable from touching the frame when the handlebars turn

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Ambrose – Member

100 x 10 mm strips of innertube. Concertina them and pierce with a nail so that you have a series of holes running along the strip. Thread onto the cable. Repeat as needed. Not particularly neat, tidy or attractive but will do the job.

Or do what sensible people do- run full outers.

How would that prevent cable rub?

oldgit
    Free Member

It's a slow day at work today

Christowkid
    Free Member

Bontrager do little rubber 'tubes' that have soft rubber inserts, to 'grip' the sides of headtube, so preventing movement of cables. Got some put on when current frame built up, but lbs only put them on 2 out of 4 cables for some reason. Not totally impressed with bonty tubes.
    Found my other calbes starting to rub slightly so wrapped self amalgamating tape on cable to sort of do same as bonty tubes. The tape being rubber is softer than the plastic outer cables, so might help.
    Found self amalgamating tape being recommended on here. Try a local hardware/plumbers. It's black rubber tape that sticks to itself. Useful for wrapping round the chainstay to help protect against chainsuck.
    Great shame bikes don't have something I've seen on some custom builds – 2 little metal stainless type strips running vertically either side of down head tube, about 2-3mm wide. They just hold the cables off the paintwork so preventing rub. Ingenious!

Q

cynic-al
    Free Member

B&Q clear tape.

Ambrose

Because they are more likely to keep their shape once routed.

Duane…
    Free Member

Helitape is best.
    http://www.helitape.co.uk 😉

leonthepro
    Free Member

Industrail velcro. Just use the hook side on the frame.

LINKY

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What to use to prevent cables/hoses rubbing against my frame?’ is closed to new replies.