• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by lunge.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What to see and where to eat in Barcelona?
  • aka_Gilo
    Free Member

It’s our 25th wedding anniversary on Wednesday so the wife and I are off to Barcelona tomorrow for two nights to celebrate.

We’re staying right in the centre, so what are the “must do”s? Also, we’ll be looking for a nice restaurant for Wednesday night – any recommendations.?

Thanks

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Passadis del Pep.

Unless ;
    A – You’re not hungry
    B – You don’t like seafood

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Gaudi Gardens for sure, if you’re in a car find the hospital car park that’s next door to it. It’s pay and display and empty. The rest of the city is a nightmare for parking.

mactheknife

Sagradia Familia and Casa Baillo.

I booked my tickets before i went which saved mucho hassle.

aP
    Free Member

Parc Guell is ok, but horribly overrun by yoots.
    Fundació Juan Miro is excellent.
    Fundació Antoni Tàpies is also very good.
    The reconstructed Mies van der Rohe Barcelon Pavilion is interesting on the way up to the Miro gallery.
    Gaudi buildings are all interesting – but all very congested.

bails

Parc Guell is ok, but horribly overrun by yoots.
    Fundació Juan Miro is excellent.

In contrast, we went about 6 months ago and really liked Parc Guell. Had a lovely wander round and then ate lunch on the benches at the top looking out over the city.

And we didn’t think the Miro place wasn’t worth it. The only good thing was the mercury fountain. MACBA was better if you like modern art, but I think you’ve got to really be ‘into’ modern art to like either of them. If you can look at the singed frame of a canvas that’s been set on fire and think “wow, that’s incredible” then the Miro place is for you, if not, give it a miss.

La Pedrera is worth a trip, as is Sagrada Familia. Basiaclly, if Gaudi touched it then it’s good.

We were there for a week so had plenty of time to wander round, so for us the walk up to Montjuic was a nice way to spend a couple of hours. But you can get a bus up there if you wanted to speed it along.

For food, head towards Placa Del Pi and just find somewhere in the little side streets. Although we ended up at a fantastic Italian called Via dei Mille near the junction of Carrer d’arago and Passeig de Sant Joan. The house wine was Amerone, we drank a bottle of it for about €10, and had a stunning pizza for about €8 each. No other English people in there, just Spanish and Italians as it’s away from the main touristy area.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I would go on the tour bus that goes up to the mnac, lovely grounds.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Thanks all. Good call on booking tickets in advance, hadn’t thought of that.

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

Can’t remember the name but the fort on top is nice to visit. Can get there on the open top bus then on the gondola.
    Walk along the prom is great too

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Spoonik – one of the coolest dining experiences I have ever had. Amazing food (fine dining, slightly off the wall Heston-like at times) and very cool venue and hosts. Was drinking with the owners/chefs until 3am… The 3 chefs have worked in about Michelin starred restaurants between them to get experience before opening their own. Good value too.

http://spoonik.com/index.php/la-experiencia

Tapas 24 – fantastic Tapas eaten by the locals and recommended by the chefs from Spoonik.

http://www.carlesabellan.com/mis-restaurantes/tapas-24/

Sagrida tickets cheaper online and you avoid the massive queues – you can just book on your phone the same day and still avoid queuing.

I loved the Picasso museum and pretty much everything about the whole place. Only recently surpassed by Copenhagen as my favourite city break destination.

lunge

We ate at a little place called Santa Gula that was absolutely awesome, and dirt cheap too. Highly recommended.
    We also did a bike tour that was really good too with Mikes bikes (may have got that wrong).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What to see and where to eat in Barcelona?’ is closed to new replies.