Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • What to put in a speculative covering letter…
  • flyingmonkeycorps

I have some “inside information” that a job will be coming up soon, on more money than I’m on, and within walking distance of home too. I have a friend who has some influence there who will put in a good word for me too.

So far so good.

The trouble is, the post itself will be something of a step back career wise – moving from managing and producing publications (whilst being spectacularly underpaid) to an AV Technician role (which I’ve done before).

I also happen to know that the place offering the new job spends a LOT of money outsourcing design and photography work, which is pretty much what I do here at the moment.

So my thinking is I should write to the new company, outlining my skills and experience (both in the area that I know it to be advertised, AND in what I am doing / want to be doing) with a copy of my CV… But I’m really struggling with the covering letter.

Help!

wwaswas

Can your mate not take your cv to whoever and say what he thinks you’ll bring to the company and ask that they have a chat with you?

I’d probably respond better to one of my staff brining in somethign and talkign to me than a letter from a stranger for a job I’ve not made ‘public’ yet?

flyingmonkeycorps

That might be a good idea. I was thinking about getting said friend to have a chat to the Bursar and tell him to expect a letter, but I suppose there’s no harm cutting out the middle man!

aracer
    Free Member

Agreed – not what you know, but who you know. My covering letter for a recent job application (for a non-advertised job) was very informal, but then I know the MD of the company.

Trimix
    Free Member

Personally I would not write, I got there in person and speak to them in a less formal way.

Letters are very easy to ignore, bin, not read, go to the wrong person at the wrong time.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘What to put in a speculative covering letter…’ is closed to new replies.