Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What to look for in (and recommendations for) road shoes?
  • tomhoward

I’m considering going full retard roadie and getting a pair of proper shoes, but not sure on what I should be looking for really. I’m looking for something fairly comfy, but doesn’t compromise on out and out performance (I’m no racer, just don’t like compromise). So, what should I be looking for, and what shoes are good? Budget is flexible, I don’t mind paying for stuff as long as it works! Currently using basic xc shoes on SPDs

All help appreciated!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Shimano are always great value and last forever and a day like their pedals. Just go with best you can afford. I know its a bit late now (fingers crossed) but Shimano winter boots are the dogs, keep that in mind for next winter.

hairybiker84
    Free Member

I tried all sorts on and couldn’t find any that were really comfy until I found the Sidi Five, way more than I wanted to spend but well pleased with them.

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve always like shimano. Just pick something that matches your budget. There isn’t much difference in the pedals so I’ve never been tempted to go above 105.

Fit is important as is a stiff sole. Couldn’t get on with fizik shoes despite some amazing offers because of the high arch.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I quite like Look Keo pedals, but the cleats are soft as anything, shoe wise, just buy something that feels comfortable. If you spend a bit money, you’ll get ratchets and carbon, instead of Velcro and plastic. Velcro and plastic works just fine.

Lightweight road shoes can be REALLY well ventillated. So bear that on mind for anything other than winter riding.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

The best piece of advice I can give you is choose some that are thermo mouldable.
    The difference in comfort is amazing.

I use the entry level £80 Spiuk Brios and it’s been faultless. I had SWorks before that which were equally impressive but twice the price.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Try as many different types on as you can. Fit is really really important. Trial and error with cleat setup I found but you will get there.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I use Specialized carbon soled ones with BG foot beds along with exustar (look copies) pedals and they’ve been faultless and very comfortable.

Had the shoes for over 4 years and they’re as good now as when I got them, they’re white too which is a given for road shoes.

Just don’t get bright yellow ones unless you are of course a world champ :mrgreen:

hooli

I would say go and try a few pairs on and find something that fits your foot well. Your foot stays in the same position for a long time so it needs to be spot or you will be in agony after a few miles.

cinnamon_girl

I’ve noticed that some men’s roadie shoes are pointed. Some time ago I did start a thread on recommendations for wide men’s shoes for my unladylike hooves.

If you need wide then Northwave is good but some are pointed.

PiknMix
    Free Member

If your a size 44 drop me an email, I have some top end Specialized carbon road shoes that are very nearly new and that you can have for cheap.

dantsw13

I don’t race my roadbike, just for extra fitness. I’m currently using a set of XTR SPD’s and my Northwave mtb boots. I quite like bring able to walk into a coffee shop without looking like a penguin!

Is there any reason to get proper roady shoes/pedals?

theflatboy
    Free Member

Don’t buy white ones is my advice, having just tried to clean my disgraceful looking pair.

nickb

I’m a big fan of the Specialized BG range (road and MTB). Had various pairs for years and had no problems. My Spesh Defroster winter boots are a more comfortable ride then my older Shimano ones – the BG alignment stuff seems to work (for me at least).

Nick

steve_b77
    Free Member

theflatboy – Member
    Don’t buy white ones is my advice, having just tried to clean my disgraceful looking pair.

That’s why you wear overshoes when it’s grubby out

theflatboy
    Free Member

Someone should have told me that six months ago 🙁

BigJohn

Get ones with the smallest soles you can find.

That will reduce your carbon footprint.

rOcKeTdOg

😆 @ bigjohn

brakes
    Free Member

my thoughts:
    – stiff sole (usually carbon/ composite).
    – ratchet – shoes stretch over time and having just velcro doesn’t cut it in my opinion. I’d like to try the Boa lacing system on my next pair too.
    – some of the more expensive shoes are for racing so they’re minimal/ light/ airy – and may not be that durable.

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

@ picknmix – slight hijack 🙂

PiknMix
    Free Member

Spirit of the forum and all 😉

tomhoward

Thanks all, I had been worried that spending more would get me a shoe that was mega stiff and racy, as opposed to comfy. Good to know that isn’t necessarily the case. Off to specialized to try some out at the weekend I think!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What to look for in (and recommendations for) road shoes?’ is closed to new replies.