Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • what to look for in a tv?
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

Just realised our telly won’t be digital ready (it’s ancient and belonged to someone else) never bought a telly and not sure what’s worth looking for currently. Was looking at richer sounds LCD tvs

this looks good http://www.richersounds.com/product/lcd-tv/lg/42lh2000/lg-42lh20starstar

but how come these smaller ones are more expensive?

http://www.richersounds.com/product/lcd-tv/samsung/le40b530/sams-le40b530

http://www.richersounds.com/product/lcd-tv/sony/kdl37ex401/sony-kdl37ex401

donsimon
    Free Member

Anything with the name Samsung should see you right.

TheFlyingOx

Samsung, Sony, Panasonic and LG seem to be pick of the crop.
    Or you could save yourself £??? and just buy a digibox for about £30.

markenduro
    Free Member

The first one is hd ready which has lower resolution than the other 2 which are full 1080pixel HD, they will look much better close up, have a look at the pixel resolution in the specs tab.

Hairychested
    Free Member

We have a Samsung, it’s great but I lost the manual and can’t work out how I can force it into reading data from a memory stick. My mate’s Philips does it from the off but… I don’t like it’s colours (the same colours look different on our tellys).
    Get a large set, HD ready is good enough for me. Beware, the same model can vary internally if bought from a dealer or Tesco-likes. The mass-produced sets use cheaper components. There was a thread on it some time ago, but any telly forum will give you the info needed.
    FAIW 46″ is better than 36″. I wish I had gone for 40-something instead of the 36″. Next time I will and the current set will become my computer monitor. Kylie will look so good then 🙂

We have a Samsung, it’s great but I lost the manual and can’t work out how I can force it into reading data from a memory stick

You have to press something on the tv & remote at the same time – I’ll have a look shortly and let you know. Be careful though – I tried a firmware update and screwed my PCB.

allthepies
    Free Member

Just realised our telly won’t be digital ready

Any old telly will be digital ready if you plug a cheapo freeview box into it 🙂

fontmoss
    Free Member

yeah found out about digibox at lunch today, sensible but not as fun 🙁

I’ll prob hang fire but if i do get one i’ll big, full hd and through richer sounds 😀

CountZero

I’ll prob hang fire but if i do get one i’ll big, full hd and through richer sounds

Why does it have to be through Richer? This time of year there are sales on, you can probably get a 1080p 2010 model for a good price because the 2011 models will be hitting the shelves, and there are retailers who’ll price match the cheapest price you can find. John Lewis being the obvious one.
    40″ would be my choice, I picked up my 40″ Bravia from Currys for £899, saved around £300 at the time as it was an end of line.

fontmoss
    Free Member

just because they’re consistently cheap and found them useful sales staff

Stainypants

i’ve got two samsungs and they’re great. The newer ones like the 530 have a built in media player which is great you just load up a memory stick or a portable hard drive with films, music and photos.

Conqueror
    Free Member

Samsung LE32C530 32in at amazon

hdtv review LE32C530

In our input lag and subjective gaming tests, the Samsung LE32C530 performed unbelievably well, lagging by only 14ms! Needless to say, this figure makes input lag completely irrelevant on this LCD TV, making it one of the best we’ve ever seen for fast, fluid gaming enjoyment.

Lag this low means you can use it with your pc with no worries.

The Samsung LE32C530 is a bargain in just about anyone’s eyes. It can be had from many online stores – including Multizone AV who has kindly supplied our review sample – for approximately £320, and in-depth testing has revealed that there’s more to be had for the money than we initially hoped for. We can’t think of any comparable displays at this end of the market and highly recommend this display to users who are happy to tolerate the viewing angle and motion limitations of LCD TVs. While it is not the equal of every other HDTV that we’ve rated “Highly Recommended”, the Samsung LE32C530 offers outstanding value for money that earns it a spot in this category.

Get this and save a few bob and put it towards other stuffs.

maxray
    Free Member

We got a Sony kdl one just before Xmas, a 32 inch model. It’s been lovely and the dlna functionality so we can stream spotify or I tunes through it wirelessly is genius. You will also get player and lovefilm built in. Can’t believe we made do with a rubbish 21″ crt for so long!

mav12
    Free Member

john lewis and costco offer a 5 year gaurantee john lewis will price match

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Personally I have always found Samsung LCD colour to be somewhat flat and lifeless. I prefer the Panasonics.

dave_aber
    Free Member

http://www.avforums.com is your friend.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

John Lewis have quite a nice Sony 32″ with built in HD Freeview at £299 in their sale.

haggis1978

OT slightly and don’t want to jump in here but i smell a potential sale 😀 I just got a brand new 40″ Samsung LED TV which i won’t be needing not even opened the box yet which i could sell you. Cheapest i’ve seen it online is £500 inc postage in a sale anyone want it for £475 posted. I will obviously advertise in classifieds section as well to keep any mods happy

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&expIds=17259&xhr=t&q=samsung++ue40c5100&cp=12&wrapid=tljp129339151930424&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=4994852252799724346&ei=ppYXTaC-D5O6hAf674i3Dg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&sqi=2&ved=0CD8Q8wIwAg#

Xylene
    Free Member

Make sure that if they haven’t had the snip they don’t mind tucking it behind them when they are facing you….unless you like the meat and veg swinging.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I like those ones that have pictures that move on them. The last one I bought, I think it was Norwegian, because all I could see on it was snow. 🙁

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I concur that Panasonics lookk better than the Samsungs – Samsungs always look processed to hell and back to me…

Look for good and natural color rendition but be aware that shops have them in display mode mostly which is normally bad.

Sony’s are too colorful (I have one so no bias).

Panasonic from John Lewis with 5 year warranty is my recommendation…

_tom_
    Free Member

When we went looking for a new tv we ended up with a Panasonic LED. Spent ages in there comparing it to various brands/models and decided it had the nicest picture. Found that LED seems to have way better viewing angles than LCD as well, may not be a problem for you but it is for us due to how our sofas are arranged.

Oh and if you’re buying from somewhere like Currys, don’t let them try and sell you an expensive HDMI lead (if you’re hooking up anything else hd) as you don’t need to spend any more than a tenner with digital stuff for the length you’ll probably need.

Samsungs (as any other tv) need setting up correctly out of the box, otherwise the picture can be a bit poor/over processed.

Once set up correctly, you’ll struggle to find better.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘what to look for in a tv?’ is closed to new replies.