• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by juan.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What to feed frog spawn?
  • ski
    Free Member

Got a large tank full of the little things [thanks Nan!], plus a huge bunch of oxygenating plants, rock for when they want to rest.

Question – Been putting a odd bit of tropical fish flake in which they are mopping up. am I setting them up for a big fall doing this?

I know we will have to release them back soon, but the kids are loving them, so is the big kid me 😉

mrmo
    Free Member

tadpoles are cannibalistic, or vegetarian.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

I thought it was illegal to remove frogspawn from their natural habitat.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

They own you now
    They will never leave
    They will eat your food
    They will eat your furniture
    They will eat your family
    They will destroy you
    You are doomed

Possibly, I may be confusing them with something else

uplink
    Free Member

Your frog spawn is/are tadpoles

Elmo
    Free Member

Cannibalistic or vegitarian?!

Either end of the scale really!?

No happy medium?

grizzlygus
    Free Member

Try scolded lettuce, crushed cooked peas, anything like that which can be easily eaten – I doubt whether they can handle anything as tough as the canadian pond weed in the pic. Then when they enter the carnivorous stage, give small cubes of beef tied to cotton thread and allowed it to dangle in the water. And also watch them turn cannibalistic 😯

I think it’s great for kids btw 8)

ebygomm
    Free Member

My mum feeds her tadpoles raw liver!

It’s pretty cool to watch though, they just surround it and suck at it until it turns white.

Frozen lettuce is also meant to be good.

dr_adams
    Free Member

we fed mealworms….

mamadirt
    Free Member

Websites recommend boiled? lettuce and then ham once they’ve grown legs. We’ve not had much luck in nursery with the little fellas over the past couple of years – this year though we’ve been sticking with goldfish flakes and it’s like a mad feeding frenzy when we drop a few pinches in – we’ve not lost any yet (toddlers neither 😉 ) and have a massive tank full so must be doing something right.

johnhoo
    Free Member

well you could feed it to a pond full of golden orfes, blue orfes & shubunkins.

Oh, my mistake; my local frogs appear to have already done that 😉

*btw there are that many tadpoles that several dozen make it out of the pond every year, despite the best efforts of my piscine friends

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Shubunkin.

Got to be the best name for a fish, ever.

coffeeking
    Free Member

They’re definitely not veggies, our tadpoles (and we’ve been “rearing” tadpoles for decades) eat raw and cooked meat, and fish flakes when young. They do rather well on it too, our small pond (10ftx3ft) annually has 40+ frogs returning. But remember not to remove the transparent spawn casing stuff too early – that is their main food source even when they’ve hatched.

Not illegal to remove frogspawn/tadpoles, nor toadspawn. Newts are a no-no though.

johnhoo
    Free Member

shubunkin – piebald goldfish

grizzlygus
    Free Member

Not illegal to remove frogspawn/tadpoles, nor toadspawn

Touch the spawn of the Natterjack toad, and I’ll cut your hands off 😯

juan
    Free Member

It depends how you are going to eat the frog once mature 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What to feed frog spawn?’ is closed to new replies.