Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What to do with old saddles?
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve got an ancient Titec Beserker saddle that’s ripped up and generally not very nice to sit on. Obvioulsy its destined for the bin, but can the ti rails be recycled? Does anyone take old saddle rails (and shells) and re-cover them?

letmetalktomark

Strip all the padding off for that über light xc racer look 8)

davidjones15
    Free Member

Keep it, you’ll kick yourself when you find out you need it.

ajantom
    meehaja
    Free Member

hello, I’ll have a go at recovering saddles if you’re letting it go for a nice price?

_tom_
    Free Member

I had one of those saddles, took it down to the tip with a load of other old nackered bike stuff..

JoeG
    Free Member

That Retrobike thread has inspired me. I just recently retired a WTB Laser SLT saddle due to the cover being worn through on a few of the edges. So tore off the old cover tonight. Tested some Elmers spray adhesive that I had around; don’t think that it is strong enough, though. Will look for leather, glue, etc. next time I’m out.

avdave2

haggis1978

Ive recovered a few saddles before. Contact adhesive is good for it. depending on the shape at the rear of the saddle you might have to watch out for kinks in the leather and definitely definitely dont get leather that is too thick

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve got a Selle Italia SLR Ti saddle sat at home doing nothing, its in good condition too, not sure whether its worth anything for sale though.

JoeG
    Free Member

Ordered some leather from ebay for $7.50 which should be enough to do 2 saddles. Went a huge craft store (an extremely scary, very female oriented environment) and got a tube of contact adhesive.

I plan to use a spray adhesive on most of the saddle, and the contact adhesive to secure the edges.

ononeorange

Would generally moist and muddy condititons not kill the adhesive quite rapidly? Genuine question – not trolling.

jameso

^ maybe not, i’ve used 3M spray adhesive for foam grips on ti bars and they don’t move, ever. superglue and uhu both failed before that.

also, seamgrip is fantastic stuff for outdoor + fabric use – thermarest repair kits use it and it’s saved my torn rucsacs, holey thermarest (9 repaired holes now!), unglued saddles etc.

JoeG
    Free Member

Both the spray adhesive and contact cement that I plan to use are solvent (not water) based, so I’m not expecting any problems.

shifter
    Free Member

How about re-railing – anyone made one good saddle out of two dodgy ones?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What to do with old saddles?’ is closed to new replies.