Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • What to do with a whole chicken that isn't a roast dinner?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

More questions!

Today I bought a whole chicken today (purely because it was cheaper than the couple of breast portions that I need to make up some bland chicken and rice for our poorly puppy).

Anyway – I need to cook it tonight so I was going to make it our dinner then pick over the leftovers to make the puppy’s food up.

So what can I do with it that is simple, quick and tasty (bearing in mind the chicken itself can’t be seasoned really).

I am stumped.

wrecker
    Free Member

Cut bits off for puppy. Curry the rest.

withersea
    Free Member

Slow cooker recipe with some veg, but it might be to late in the day for that.

Otherwise cut it into sections and cook most of it with some peri peri sauce and leave one section for the lucky puppy.

benp1

Roast it, as it’s easy – whack it in the oven for about 90 minutes depending on the weight

Then make stuff with the leftovers – pie, risotto, casserole, pancakes, fajitas, wraps, pasta, curry etc etc

woody2000

Personally I’d roast, then pick it to bits and turn it into a curry/stew/whatever. Give pup his share from the plain chicken

johndoh
    Free Member

But we want to eat our bit tonight so I won’t have time to cook it *then* start doing something else with our share…

I am currently thinking that I might cut out the breasts, cook the remaining bit in the oven for puppy and doing the breasts oven-cooked with some mozzarella + herb mix over the top and serving with oven-cooked mixed veg.

theotherjonv

Don’t just do the breasts, go the whole hog. Pretty easy to do, the wife regularly does it compared to the price of the various portions.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc24qgr0Pd4[/video]

jamj1974

Separate dog portion and marinade quickly with tandoori spices or jerk. Then grill. Serve with rice and salad. Job done.

jekkyl

go out for dinner you fussy sod. 😛

MSP

Fire it from an air cannon.

imnotverygood

Speaking as a vegetarian I think you should allow it to free roam in your back garden and let it lead a happy, fulfilling and satisying life.

johndoh
    Free Member

He seems quite happy in his shrink-wrapped plastic packaging right now so I might just do that.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Let it run free?

mattyfez

Mix the leftovers with a bit of ketchup, then drop it off the top of the nearest highest building.

Then have an accomplice on the ground video the reactions of passers by.

Or, make chicken sandwiches.

spectabilis
    Free Member

Shove a beer can up its arse.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Favorite chicken recipe here is poached chicken with star anise . It’s insanely good and you get liters of liquid gold for soups and stuff afterwards. It’s a Really Huge Twatingstall recipe

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/mar/13/star-anise-recipes-hugh-fearnley-whittingstall

Failing that freeze it and throw it through a window?

verticalclimber
    Free Member

roast it, cut meat off then boil carcass for stock to make soup.hmmmmm

jambalaya
    Free Member

As above cut it up for different receipes. However it you want to cook whole thing not roasted you can make Pot au Poulet – basically poach the whole bird slowly with veg / herbs and you have a simple dish with a broth (however lets face it curry/jerk is more tasty !). Dish is cooked quite slowly, water barely boiling. Various recipes online inc from Raymond Blanc.

verticalclimber
    Free Member

hmmmm jerk chicken

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Roast it and buy a tin of Chum for the puppy .

jimmy

Spatchcock it, a nice marinade, grill ‘ till crispy outside juicy inside.

Mmm-mmmm grilled chicken

cloudnine
    Free Member

Spatchcocked.. Quickest way to cook it BTW.
    Just wanted to use the word spatchcock.
    Ffs beaten to it by 4 seconds

ransos
    Free Member

Spatchcock it, a nice marinade, grill ‘ till crispy outside juicy inside.

Even better on the barbecue…

glasgowdan
    Free Member

As with fish, chicken is much nicer if it’s ‘just’ cooked and no more 🙂 I assume you have had your dinner by now, but if you want an idea for next time I like to grill thin slices of breast under a super hot grill for just long enough to cook them and dip them in mayo or chilli sauce and have with pasta and olive oil 🙂

jimmy

Even better on the barbecue…

Tandoor ftw

Ffs beaten to it by 4 seconds

I don’t know why I find this so funny

RustySpanner

johndoh
    Free Member

Well I did as I mentioned above – cut out the breasts and oven baked with mixed veg to make some random Italian-esque thing.

Tasted nice enough for a made up thing and I’ll be doing similar again.

slackboy
    Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You have wasted a potential gorgeous roasted chook, opting fur some random non descript vegetalian nonsense? Dear oh dear…..

deadkenny
    Free Member

David Cameron has some ideas on what to do with dead animals. Though pork is preferred.

beefheart
    Free Member

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘What to do with a whole chicken that isn't a roast dinner?’ is closed to new replies.