• This topic has 66 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by SiB.
Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • what to do when dog attacks your dog…..
  • takisawa2

Use as much force as necessary to protect your dog, even if that means killing the other owners dog

This.
    Not afraid to say I’ve lashed out at a few when I had dogs, some years ago. I was younger & braver (dafter) then though. I used to always take some old handle bars with a single grip left on.

Bars were only 500mm then.
    You’d do some damage with these 900mm risers they use these days. 🙂

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Unfortunately, most of the people like that use the dog as an extension of their egos or use the dog to deliberately intimidate people because they’re weak, bullies.

That was entirely the impression I got. A lab attacked our dog last year, entirely unprovoked. The owner wasn’t fussed about it, neither did he make good on his offer to compensate/contribute vet bills – the ‘shoulder shruggers’ of life seem to think that ‘dogs will be dogs’ – except it’s their dog and more importantly their ownership that is at fault.

Similar to the OP’s experience, our little rescue dachs was attacked by a mad terrier that ran out of a property under a hole in the gate. Not thinking I whacked the dog with my walking stick. And hard. It limped off shrieking, prob broke its leg in hindsight , I felt bad immediately but I just wanted to get it off so didn’t think about the force just reacted. No owner present but I can imagine their response might not have been understanding :-/

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

pepper spray

Pepper spray is a firearms offence in the UK.

bedmaker

You need to chuck a poisoned steak over the fence…. and hope the dog owner has it for dinner 🙂

Then kill the dog with fire too.

yorkycsl
    Free Member

My wife & I had just left Podgy Paws in Keswick with out 4 month old labradoodle & a woman was outside with a huge dog that clearly was not under control & she had a look of panic on her face, we tried to steer clear as we went past, the dog lunged at ours & swiftly had it by the throat, I grew up with animals on a farm mas a lad & have always been comfortable with animals, swifty I turned & got my wife out of the way & then grabbed the dog by its head & twisted it severely, dog yelped & let go of ours, woman in question was in tears, said oh it usually has a muzzle on as it’s done it before, well why the F&ck didn’t it now on a busy day in Keswick, my thoughts are if you own a dog with a known history of biting / going for other dogs or people then get a muzzle on it, if ours did it would wear one. A minute later husband appears from Booths, looks at me with Anger ! she’s crying, says oh it’s our dogs fault, he comes close & I then tell him in no uncertain terms what his wife admitted to re dogs behavior, however words exchanged & if you’d like to have a word in private i.e sort it out man to man then lets go, hmm ok he then shuts up backed down & apologized, later in the afternoon, there they are in Keswick square with a muzzle on the dog, he looked at me with a very sheepish look on his face, Would I do it again, Yes I would because I will protect either my dog or my wife however if my dog bit some one then I would admit to it take steps to resolve it sensibly, if you own a dangerous dog with a history then do something about it.

moose
    Free Member

if you own a dangerous dog with a history then do something about it.

And that is just about the crux of it. IF your dog as a behavioural issue you have a responsibility to ensure you attempt to treat it, or manage it if, like in my case there are issues with brain function.

Whenever we take Dillion anywhere new, or when I’ve taken him to BDS rounds, he’s muzzled. This is more for his protection than any other dogs. He will react with aggression when he’s scared, there’s just as much chance of him snapping at the wrong dog and having a beast cause him some damage.

He’s got better, but as we have to revisit his training every couple of months and start from scratch each time, it’s a constant thing. But these are the things you must do, but many do not bother. With the right training, you can train any dog from the right age to be a respectful, well mannered and well natured dog. The effort required though is often more than individuals want to contribute.

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Well said Moose couldn’t agree more, we have had a doggy trainer to Oscar & though not as much as we’d like, done training with him & now a year old not snapped once, we did Honister dales head back over maiden moor Ispy down the lake recently, glorious weather & decided to let him go for a swim, a real water pooch, get the boat back to Keswick, lots of small noisey kids patting him and one who wouldn’t stop tapping him on the nose much as I tried to stop this kid his mother just laughed it of, Oscar just looked with bemused a look on his face as if to say oh do bugger of & he never growled got pissed of once & I think as you rightly say moose it’s training that does that.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

malven….that would break heart….only thing I could think of worse is a woman holding a dead kid….the sexist in me hates seeing women upset.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

He said he would contribute to vets bill…..after telling me life was v tough and reason was fence had gaps in was because he couldnt afford to fix it. Mind game??

Yeah make sure he does. The guy whos dog attacked ours agreed to pay half, and then he stopped answering his phone when I sent him the payment details/vet details.

Times they are-a-changin’… 😕

chewkw
    Free Member

Many years ago in the far east I tried to break up a fight between my landlord’s dog and the Japanese neighbour’s Japanese Spitz. My landlord’s dog was a large mongrel (local dog) and when the Japanese Spitz ventured into it’s boundary the mongrel attacked it.

It was a savage attack that I was determined to stop and while I was searching for a big stick to break up the fight (mongrel was gaining upper hand throughout), the fight continued on from top of the hill until the semi-jungle foot hill, I could hear the Japanese Spitz “crying” and by the time I jumped onto the foot hill (over the fence etc) the Japanese Spitz was already very dazed and the final bite in the stomach by the mongrel was the last straw then one “yelp” from the Spitz the fight was over. The Spitz was motionless.

After that it was my turn to torture (more like beating the hell out of it) my landlord’s mongrel for the next several hours beating it as much as I could, ya I was on “fire”, until the mongrel dared not even looked at me. One stare from me and it would find a hiding place.

When the landlord came home he was surprised that his dog was so timid when I was nearby and would hide from me. Ya, I beat the crap out of it whenever the landlord was not around. This continued, whenever the landlord was out, until I moved out from the house but the mongrel was fine except that it dare not stay in court yard when I was alone in the house or whenever I was around. (most dogs in the far east are left to roam the street and once I was able to save a pregnant neighbour’s cat nearly being torn apart by four other mongrels on the same street but not sure if the cat survive but it was bleeding from the mouth by the time I alerted the owner).

Luckily, we lived in an area where dog meat was not consumed otherwise we would have dog stew.

😈

project
    Free Member

You need to chuck a poisoned steak over the fence…. and hope the dog owner has it for dinner

Then kill the dog with fire too.

Some prat has been leaving poisoned sandwiches and meat around the wirral way and also putting tin tacks in them, some pathetic dog hating people out there.

Can of deoderant squirted at fighting dogs also stops them, the polioce use a co2 fire extinguishjer , but theyre a bit to heavy to carry on a walk, although you could hang one from a st bernards neck instead of a whiskey barrel.

Hope doggy makes a good recovery.

anagallis_arvensis

This thread makes me glad I’ve got a lurcher any dog wants to eat her has got to catch her first!

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

There will allways be exceptions but some breeds just have a killer instinct bred into them over the years and no matter how much training,the potential to attack is still there

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Still have flashbacks to my young springer spaniel getting flattened by an English Bull Terrier and having her throat being held tight.

Me and 3 mates literally kicked 7 shades of shite out of that dog for what seemed like forever. One guy came with a tree branch and rammed it in the dogs mouth while we just kept on running up and booting the dog wherever we could kick it. Eventually its jaws were prised open and my springer, shitting itself was still alive.

The English bull terrier just collapsed in a heap. There were mitigating circumstances re the attacking dog and I got in a lot of trouble off my dad after I explained the holes in my dogs neck and all the blood. End of the day we just panicked and attacked as best we could.

Friend of the family used to have a little staffie which was very well natured but seemed to attract trouble from other dogs. She took to walking with an old horse riding whip to ward off the other dogs (her dog was always on lead).

Aright, I am having flashbacks again

nach
    Free Member

thegreatape – Member
    I’m sure as a child I read in the SAS Survival Handbook that you should poke your finger up its arse in this situation.

This is something I’ve heard too, a pit bull grabbed the throat of a friend’s labrador at a dog training class, and it’s apparently exactly what the trainer did. She said the dog let go instantly.

BigDummy
    Free Member

So, the general consensus is that the OP’s dog need not DTFU, but the OP should defeat the other dog in battle and/or with anal fingering?

Fair enough. 🙂

nach
    Free Member

It was early, I meant to be a bit more sympathetic to you OP. I’ve seen a woman weeping and screaming “help me” (people did) after a doberman savaged her dog in a park. Given the massive differences in breeds and reasons people own them, DTFU advocates should do something else that ends in TFU.

I did wonder if there was a sob story behind a house with a broken fence and loose dog, and the one you related is very believable nowadays. I wouldn’t worry about whether it’s true or not. Provided my dog was okay, I would buy him a rope and some kind of anchor point and take them round (or some things to patch the fence with). I know it seems counter intuitive, but it wouldn’t be expensive and it goes right around any claim of poverty whether it’s true or not. If he’s actually poor it’s an act of compassion and good for your neighbourhood, and if he’s just lying and can’t be arsed, it’s something else you can tell the council.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Not read all of this, so forgive if someone has posted.
    Amazon sell strong bleach. Decant some into an atomizer. Spray at attacking dog. It’ll take 2 or 3 goes before it will associate your dog with bleach. Ranty man sounds like a bit of a dick and not likely to do anything, but people don’t react well to bleach spray either.

CheesybeanZ

Are you seriously advising/ encouraging someone to spray bleach in an animals face ????

Cougar

Most of the entire thread makes for pretty depressing reading, TBH.

nedrapier

I’ve seen a woman weeping and screaming “help me” (people did) after a doberman savaged her dog in a park. Given the massive differences in breeds and reasons people own them, DTFU advocates should do something else that ends in TFU.

Yup. A mate’s dog was very nearly killed the other week. 50m of surgical thread and hundreds of staples in a miniature schnauzer.

The Power of Positivity

Pigface
    Free Member

My staffy got set up on by two Alsatians and the owner just stood there, I don’t think I have ever kicked anything so hard in my life. The dog yelped and started to go back to its owner, the other one let go and retreated as well. The owner says to me “No need for that” to my shame I lost it, was screaming obscenities and had him by the throat. He spluttered sorry and I let him go. He got about 10 feet away and suddenly became billy big bollocks saying he was going to have me and I need to watch my back. Poor Badger had about 7 puncture wounds on the back of his neck. Vet checked him out and he was fine.

Saw the bloke about 3 months later and he turned round and pretty much legged it.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Are you seriously advising/ encouraging someone to spray bleach in an animals face ???

yup, we had one near my house, which is why i bought the bleach. sprayed at the dog once. didn’t have to do it again.
    funny that if a dog cowers at the sight of you, the owner tends not to be in a hurry to engage with you either.

jam-bo

to my shame I lost it, was screaming obscenities and had him by the throat

wondering if you see the irony in this post…

binners

You should just get a cat. Or a number of them. They’re miles better than dogs. You don’t need to worry about this kind of thing, for a start. They just blood-curdlingly batter each other in the early hours of the morning! But it seems like they’re all equally as up for a good ruck, so nobody gets savaged.

One of ours came in the other morning with 3 ripped out claws embedded in his head. He didn’t seem particularly bothered by this. Mind you… he’s a rescue cat, and is absolutely ****ing nails!! 😀

Pigface
    Free Member

jam bo In hindsight I do, believe me 🙁

SiB
    Free Member

Some interesting reads and good advice, thanks for all of them.

48hrs on so have obviously calmed down a lot and time to think, decided I’m going to get muzzles for my two although I don’t like the idea of them not having the ability to defend themselves if ever needed (yep, DTFU would help but see above posts re aggressive dogs!). Depending on size and proximity of other dogs mine either come back when called or have a bark and run at the other dog…yes, I guess thats ‘out of control’ and to the other owners could be regarded as aggressive behavior. I would be mortified if they bit another dog and when I have no control this could quite possibly happen. Lesson learnt but on the wrong dog!! They’re more inquisitive and lively than aggressive but just aren’t too sociable unless its a familiar dog.

Dog is fine btw, kept wound clean and sprayed with antiseptic, scabbing up nicely now. I just wish I had read the superglue method of closing the cut, it looked perfect for the job but I left it too late and the cut wasn’t pushing together easily and there was a good chance the glue would have gone in the open wound. Off to vets later for their annual jabs so I’m expecting a slapped wrist and why I should have come straight to the vets speech.

Nach…that’s what I’m going to do, big rope and anchor point to take round for them, hopefully it’ll get used, I shall definitely be walking that way more often to find out.

Mum is a daily walker round these parts and she has had run ins with him too but luckily she doesnt have a dog with her so it was a case of the alsation just barking at her (on the public footpath) and scaring her. Its happened to her before with same dog and on all occasions the dog has just let its presence be known and gone back to its garden ….still not a good situation and could be completely different with unsuspecting person. Anyway, she contacted the council this morning to report it again, I’m sure i would have, one day soon?

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘what to do when dog attacks your dog…..’ is closed to new replies.