Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • What to do on Mull and Skye?
  • rapidrob95
    Free Member

Got a week on the Isle of Mull, followed by a week on Skye coming up, wondering what peoples top (non-cycling) attractions are? Not really into the seemingly obligatory whisky distillaries 😆 Also, anyone know if there’s road bike hire on Mull?

scotroutes

Geology. Volcanoes, petrified trees, black beaches, amazing corries and ridges, coral beach, Fairy Pools, boat trip to Loch Coruisk, Iona, Staffa, whale & dolphin, sea eagles….

rascal
    Free Member

Rucksack and walking boots.

frogstomp

Drive / ride / walk around and gawp at the scenery!

legend
    Free Member

Basically as above but wouldn’t bother riding on Mull* as loads of the roads are busy singletrack

*on road anyway

rapidrob95
    Free Member

Walking boots will hopefully see a lot of use,loch coruisk sounds like a good shout too! I do dabble with mtb’s too, any experience of routes and/or hire companies or is it not worth the hassle?
    Cheers for the suggestions so far

goldfish24

Mull is awesome, true sense of the word. Can’t remember what I even did there, just wandered around in the walking boots I think.

We did do a mountain bike ride round the forest heading north from Tobermory (mostly cos that’s where we were). It was good. That was smooth forest tracks and coastline, probably preferable to the roads – I wouldn’t call the roads busy but they are single track all the way.

Even if you’re not a bird/wildlife nut (I am), I’d recommend doing a bit of background reading on, for example, what a white tailed (sea) eagle is, and what other wildlife is on the island because it’ll be all the more exciting when you inevitably see it.

Then you must must take the ‘sealife surveys’ boat tour from Tobermory. Other companies operate tours but these guys are the best. We saw minke whales, seals, otter, harbour porpoise and were very lucky to be chased by dolphins back to the harbour.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Calgary beach is nice, as mentioned Iona and Staffa is a good day out. Coming back on the boat from Staffa a load of dolphins started following us, crystal clear water and you could see them swimming under the boat, quite brilliant and I’ll remember it for a long time. Tobermory is nice too, try scallops and chips from the van at the harbour. I did do some mtbing, we were staying in a cottage on the Glengorm estate, it was ok, nothing special just a bit of exploring. This was before strava and wotnot so there could have been some great stuff I just never came across.

whitestone
    Free Member

Trying to think of a busy road on Mull …. Nope, you’ve got me there.

The only time you’ll get any traffic density is just after the ferry from Oban arrives. Five minutes later there’ll be the thin end of naff all.

scotroutes

^^^ pretty much my experience too.

legend
    Free Member

ffs, busy for a single track road. Obviously not busy compared to somewhere on the mainland 🙄

joshvegas
    Free Member

Trying to think of a busy road on Mull …. Nope, you’ve got me there

Knock to Calgary last weekend I think I used every single passing place.

globalti
    Free Member

Go to Decathlon and buy a wetsuit.

Then buy this book:

gordimhor

Day trip to Ulva.
    Isle of Ulva

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

the road back from Fionnphort after the Iona ferry deposits busloads of tourists. Visited Iona, the abbey was ok, but there was someone doing horse-draw trps round the island, wish I’d done that.
    On Skye, there’s a glass bottomed boat out of Kyleakin which is worth a trip.
    the Fairy Pools are worth the easy walk

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

..and, as I say on every one of these threads – visit shinty.com and see if there’s a game on. Skye Camanachd aren’t in the top division so entry is likely to be free, but I have been charged as much as £3 for a top division game.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

On the other hand, it’s where I had my closest shave ever. I got used to having the swoopy singletrack tarmac to myself, got complacent, and suddenly found myself face to face with a Spanish motorhome. That was a bit tricky, take care.

rapidrob95
    Free Member

Thanks for the input all, I shall report back on the busy-ness of the roads! All good suggestions, hadn’t thought of taking the wetsuit though for sure!
    Got a boat trip booked, as well as an on-land ‘safari’, and I know a white tailed eagle from a crow so should manage in that respect

CountZero

and I know a white tailed eagle from a crow so should manage in that respect

About the difference between a Cessna and a C-130! They don’t call the Eagles ‘flying barn doors’ for nowt. 😀
    Enjoy, the Scottish islands are places I really want to visit, especially Skye and Mull, I’m a push-over for wild and beautiful country, add in good sea-food and drink, and I’m happy as a pig in shit! 😀

dovebiker

Currently camped at Arisaig having been at Fidden Farm last night and heading to Skye tomorrow. Surprised at amount of traffic on Mull at moment – previous visit was July but the cockwombles in their Audis trying to bully their way through were out in force. The road on the south west from Salen in closed due to bridge repairs at Knock. There is a bike hire place in Salen but not sure what ‘stock’ they have. Lunch today at Ulva Boathouse was disappointing as not everything was fresh but the lobster was nice. The best boat trip is from Ulva Ferry to Treshnish and Staffa rather than from Tobermory.

Waderider
    Free Member

I live near and regularly work on Mull. Road equivalent tariff has increased car traffic on many islands.

Moe

The Gallery at Calgary is worth a visit …… especially the cafe!

+1 for Ulva …… another nice cafe there!

Really nice restaurant between Dervaig and Calgary called Am Birlinn

Ben More is a challenge if you fancy a good climb.

Love the place, just so relaxing.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Do a boat trip to the puffins on the treshnish islands. Usually includes that famous cave on Staffa too!

rapidrob95
    Free Member

Got back on Saturday, weather couldn’t have been better, lovely time. Saw otters, sea eagles, golden eagles, puffins on lunga, Short eared owl, marsh harriers etc etc.
    Will update with photos when I have them sorted out.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘What to do on Mull and Skye?’ is closed to new replies.