Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • what to do in London? hidden gems, alternatives, value.
  • 1-shed
    Free Member

Going to London soon, with the family. So far my daughter wants to go to the science museum, other half wants to go to Tate Modern. My son is obsessed with transport so going on the tube,train and buses will please him. I’m happy to see and mooch but prefer to find things that you don’t find elsewhere. Over to you thanks in advance 1 shed.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

London Transport Museum in Covent Garden?

from Tate modern, you can walk east along the river. You’ll go past the Globe Theatre, The Clink (prison) Museum, Golden Hind Replica, Borough Market, The Shard, HMS Belfast, Ken’s Testical and onto Tower Bridge. You can now go inside the bridge for a look around (and a high up glass floor) and the Tower of London is just the other side of the Tower Bridge.

saxabar
    Free Member

You don’t say how old, but how about a tour around Parliament? Wish I’d gone as a youngling.

1-shed
    Free Member

Daughter 15 and quite geeky and proud of it. Son 13 but has learning difficulties, transport is his thing and going on it not viewing it so can you go on a speed boat on the Thames. Where are the hipster hangouts?

tthew

There’s the Thames Clipper service on the river. Like a big fast water bus. Various stops, but cheesy feet’s walk is nice, and you can get on/off next to HMS Belfast on his route.

1-shed
    Free Member

Clipper service sounds good, thanks for that.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

If you’re looking for eccentric and unusual, then Sir John Soane’s Museum or the Hunterian Museum might appeal. The Horniman Museum is not so central, but a lovely place to visit on a sunny day.

If your other half wants to see the Tate Modern, then maybe you might want to try the Saatchi Gallery too. If you’re coming in the next few weeks then the Royal Academy Summer exhibition is always good, and the Serpentine Pavilion normally worth a visit.

There’s a Carsten Holler exhibition on at the Hayward Gallery until early September that looks like it might appeal to kids, got some huge slides and a hang gliding type contraction on one of the terraces. Then, as above, a walk along the Southbank is always nice. There’s normally a food market near Festival Hall, and you can walk across to the Tate Modern.

And if you really want hipster hangouts: Broadway Market/London Fields, Stoke Newington Church Street/Clissold Park, Dalston Yard/Kingsland Road, Boxpark/Shoreditch.

jimdubleyou

Old Operating Theatre and the Clink (both not far from HMS B and Tate Modern) might be worth a look.

I recently did the Thames Rib Experience. It was a work thing so I didn’t pay for it, but pretty good fun.

RoterStern
    Free Member

If you go to any of the big museums just be prepared for hordes of people. I used to live there and I am sure the crowds have got worse.

MrSmith
    Free Member

If you are thinking of going to the Horniman then check the TFL website for engineering on the overground as they usually have works going on at the weekend.
    What about the cable car thing from Greenwich? If you end up there by boat.
    The 19 and 38 new routmasters (there are other routes that use them) go through Piccadilly/middle of town and will be of interest to transport fans.

TiRed

http://www.thegarret.org.uk/ (as above)

http://www.hunterianmuseum.org/ (surgery)

http://wellcomecollection.org/ (always something interesting)

Cable car or Emirates from Greenwich to Excel and back is a fine ride.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

There is a bar on board , just in case you need sustenance! It may be worth heading out to the Thames barrier. An awesome construction.

Go up the monument. 300 or so steps and quite a view. Free too.

brooess
    Free Member

Check the schedules for Herne Hill track and the Olympic Velodrome, there may well be something on

zippykona

War museum and Richmond to Kingston boat.

scotroutes

A bit “out-there” – Highgate Cemetery. They do tours but you can wander round at your own pace and enjoy some peace and quiet.

db

Your son might like;

An Amazing Amphibious Adventure!

1-shed
    Free Member

Thanks for your ideas so far it’s appreciated.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Boat from Waterloo to Greenwich, then cross the river by cable car and get DLR to Stratford and have a mooch round the Olympic Park.

globalti
    Free Member

Bethnal Green Museum of Childhood. (I recognised some of my own toys in there!)

Visit Us

The secret rose garden in Regent’s Park; nice for a picnic.

Maroush Express on Edgware Road for superb Lebanese food. Not cheap but definitely worth it.

maccruiskeen

transport is his thing and going on it not viewing it so can you go on a speed boat on the Thames.

If its the one I’m thinking of its pretty exciting as public transport goes and frequent stops zigzagging along the river so plenty of stuff to observes happening and geek out on. I’m absolutely certain the guy checking the tickets when I got on was Terry Tibbs.

tthew

Final thought from me. Last time I went I had a glorious few hours on my own while SWMBO and the Teenage Dirtbag went to the theatre. Hired a Boris Bike and rode from St Paul’s to the Limehouse Basin then did one of the Strava curated routes. A running one as the bike ones are proper all day rides. An idea of you get some free time.

Boris Bike ride

winston2005

Museum of London (near to St Pauls)

&

Docklands Museum (Canary Wharf)

Are both good in my opinion, just back today from London and my daughter 5 enjoyed both museum. I should think there’s enough for the old kids also.

mogrim

With a 15 and 11 year old girls, favourites* include:

Museum of London
    V&A
    Camden Market (this one is definitely a winner!)
    Kew Gardens
    IWM (war museum)

* “favourites” depending on the mood little miss 15yr old mogrim is in, of course.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Go up ‘The Monument’ (tall column, commemorating fire of london) it’s only £4 for adults.

allyharp

Thames Clipper from Westminster or London Eye down to Greenwich always ranks highly with everyone that comes to visit me.

senorj

If you’re there for two days ,I would split it.
    Day one ,a.m.Tate modern ,clipper to embankment ,transport museum in covent garden ,northern line to Camden market for street food tea/dinner.
    Day two science museum & v&a .or natural history museum if you run out of things in the other two.
    If it’s vhot when you’re there and you don’t fancy being inside,behind kings cross ,10 min walk@ Granary Square,off a5202 ,Goods Way ,there is a brilliant massive water fountain thingy that’s brilliant for splashing in for an hour or two.
    regents park is also ace& very near Camden .

djglover
    Free Member

I think you have most transport heritage covered with the transport museum and science museum. On our last trip we ventured out a little to Hampton court palace and it was a superb day out, the twins are 6 and were totally enthralled. Highly recommended, kew gardens is another great option away from the centre.

A few alternative recommendations,museum of Brands, Notting Hill and Highgate cemetery, fascinating victorian tombs!

Final edit, one of my six year olds took part in one of the street performances in covent garden, it was absolutely hilarious!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Enjoyed Eltham Palace, art deco house quite south.

Wee museum by th Roterhithe ttunnel east ish.

Design Museum.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘what to do in London? hidden gems, alternatives, value.’ is closed to new replies.