Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • What to do in Central London for 2 hours with the kids?
  • lodious
    Free Member

Got two hours to kill in the big smoke on Saturday afternoon with Mrs and two kids (aged 8 and 4). Any ideas?

porterclough
    Free Member

Science museum?

MisterT

natural history museum defo no.1.. go see the dinosaurs… brilliant! (and free)

or science museum and go see the ardman annimation exhibition (sp)

and if you want some fresh air after, head north up along exhibition road up to kensington gardens, and grab a great coffee in the tennis club (open to the public) – you get nice space, away from the madding crowd.

tang
    Free Member

as mister t says.

tails
    Free Member

depends where abouts you are? Are you catching/waiting for a train. As it will take longer to get across town than you may think. I like tate britain, although your kids will like the dark box at the tate modern.

takisawa2

Head to Kensington for the Science Museum. Simply brilliant.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Can't disagree with the above suggestions for the Science or Natural History Museums (I can still remember my trip to the science museum as a kid). But, being close to Armistice Day, perhaps you could go to the Imperial War Museum (went there recently, really enjoyed it) or (if you have no objections to it) London Zoo.

aP
    Free Member

Where are you starting from and the where do you need to end up after your 2 hour slot?
    You'll find it very difficult to do most of the above in that time, and unless you can give more information its very difficult to suggest anything.

clubber
    Free Member

Agree with the above. Also the London Aquarium is brilliant and fits nicely with a trip on the London Eye

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ohh yes – the Aquarium would be good. Every time I walk by I want to pop in but no-one else shares my fascination of fish!

BigJohn

I would have said Science Museum or British Museum too.

But how about Hamleys toy shop or Harrods, (or Brick Lane Bikes) or if you're really open minded – Old Compton St.

My favourite thing in the British Museum is a little stone carving in the Ancient Egypt section. Its like an exaggerated caricature of a turtle – huge body, teeny head, flippers and tail. It made me laugh out loud (LOL) and then I felt this huge connection with somebody who made a joke 5,000 years ago, and I still "got it".

teagirl
    Free Member

Hamleys, your kids will love you forever and there's a cafe. 2hrs isn't enough in the museums unless you know exactly where you're going IMHO.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Two hours is plenty enough time for an 8 yr old (and especially a 4 yr old) in a museum.

teagirl
    Free Member

Like I said, if you know where you are going, given the crowds.

grazedknees
    Free Member

My kids favourite thing at that age was either Hamleys or interactive zone at the science musem(lots of buttons to press! or London zoo or duck tour or aquarium or the Imax theatre.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Sorry but I don't agree with that – the attention spans of most children of that age means a couple of hours will be fine. They won't exactly be reading every notice and studying the works – they will be running around and glancing at stuff as they fly by.

snaps
    Free Member

London eye?

edtheluenose
    Free Member

chelsea stadium tour supposed to be quite good, no footy this weekend due to international break. get the tube to fulham broadway, turn right out the station 300 yards on yer left

MisterT

the queues for London eye can be a killer… last weekend it was 30mins queue to buy the tickets and then 45mins queue to get into a pod. that will kill 2 hrs, but I wou;dn't want to queue for that long with a 4yr old.

concequently I threw money at the situation and bought fast track tickets, cutting out the queues.

lodious
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions, looks like it either the science museum or hanleys then!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Sit in traffic.?

tonyg2003

Considering the forecast for Saturday, not queuing for the Eye in the rain.

I'd say the Science or Natural History are first choice if you've not been before.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Presumably your 2 spare hours won't start and finish outside the Science Museum, so I wouldn't bother with the Science Museum – it deserves more than 1-2hours to do it credit imo.

MacDonald's ?

simon_g

As said, where are you starting/finishing? Just Hamleys and the science museum are about half an hour away from each other. If you're going in/out from one of the main stations there may be other things to do that don't involve spending time sat in a tube train!

lodious
    Free Member

We are getting train into Euston at midday, then watching a show at the Garrick at 2:30. Looks like the weather is going to be pants 🙁

iBike
    Free Member

With a 4 year old in tow – Nat History possibly better than science museum – Dinosaurs, blue whale, insects, earthquakes – keep both of them amused… Sci museum great too, but might want to wait for younger one to get a little older…

alpin
    Free Member

brick lane. a bit of culture.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

If you're coming into Euston and only got 2 hours spare, not worth going to the Kensington museums. British Museum is fairly close to Euston

simon_g

British Museum is ideal then. Wander down through Russell Square, go round there for a bit then it's only another short walk down to Covent Garden to the theatre.

kimbers

nat hist is much better for younger kids than british or science

about 30 mins from euston, including walking to the museum from the tube through the tunnel

so only an hour to go round, but dinosaurs are great

aP
    Free Member

You'll be really pushing it to get to Kensington and back in 2 hours. As said above the British Museum is about 10 minutes walk away from Euston and then its not far to the theatre afterwards.

Bimbler
    Free Member

If you're coming into Euston and going to the Garrick afters I have to concur that Kensington is a stretch. The British Museum is great but not so sure for a 4yo – although the building itself is aces

jahwomble
    Free Member

if you're coming and going from Euston, the Wellcome museum of medical oddities is about five mins walk from Euston and my kids love it.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘What to do in Central London for 2 hours with the kids?’ is closed to new replies.