Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • What to do in Amsterdam….
  • catatemygoldfish
    Free Member

…other than the usual attractions?

br
    Free Member

Evening canal boat ride with dinner?

HansRey

brouwerij ‘t Ij

bigyim
    Free Member

We found lager Valium and magic mushrooms led to an interesting excursion. The main highlight being my mate locking himself in his hotel room trying to separate the darkness from the light and my other mate hiding from snipers which were on the rooftops.

Sam

Van Gogh museum, particularly if weather’s not great. Otherwise I can just wander around those canals all day. Stop in at the occasional cafe/pub/coffeeshop as your preference might dictate.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

went there not so long ago and most people go there to smoke weed as it is Amsterdam.. and being ” non weed smokers ” there is practically nothing to do and if you do find something decent to do its expensive so don’t bother going, and most of it is a sh*t hole lol

Dogzyboy
    Free Member

Heineken experience?

swisstony
    Free Member

hire a bike?

vrapan
    Free Member

Visit Screaming beans if you care about a decent cup of coffee 🙂

hels
    Free Member

Anne Frank Museum. Excellent, very thought provoking.

pastcaring
    Free Member

don’t get mugged at gun point! although amsterdam has changed a lot since then…

RustySpanner

Rijksmuseum is stunning – go and see ‘The Night Watch’, could easily spend an entire day in there.

As has been said above, the Anne Frank house is very moving, as is the Resistance museum. The Van Gogh museum is also a time thief.

It’s a stunningly beautiful city, and autumn is the perfect time of year for slow, relaxed walk around, stoned or not.
    Get a good guidebook and visit some of the ‘Brownhouse’ pubs. The food is great and a stroll around the Red Light district is always a bit of an eye opener. The original Bulldog cafe is a very safe and interesting place if you’ve never done the ‘Coffeshop’ thing, and the little shop down the road always has nice truffles in stock. 🙂

Can be a bit pricey, but there are a couple of little supermarkets in the city centre if you fancy having a picnic in the park. There’s one near the Nieuwmarkt, just ask one of the locals.

shedfull
    Free Member

The ship museum’s very good but, if you dropped me in Amsterdam and said “do what you want for a day”, I’d get on a train to Utrecht (much nicer town) or go to Arnhem to the Airborne museum and the “Bridge Too Far”.

yunki
    Free Member

krijg de keleren

richmars

I think it’s just called ‘The Amsterdam Museum’ Worth a few hours.

dans160
    Free Member

La Vie en Proost. I may have spelt that wrong, I wasn’t really paying much attention.

dans160
    Free Member

DO NOT photograph the pretty ladies in the windows.

Tracey

We are going next week for 4 days so will use some of the recomendations

Townfox
    Free Member

Depends on who your going with as to what to do..

If your with the wife –

Heineken factory tour is alright..

“Mikes bikes” tour of the city is good too, meet at the park then takes you all around the sites of the city..

If your with the lads –

You’ll have a ball, Mushroom shop to start with then head to Rembrandtsplain, the best area for bars and clubs..

Love Amsterdam its a top place..

PeterKinsella
    Free Member

Nord See Kust route for a pleasant ride if you fancy some exercise 🙂

coastkid
    Free Member

jump on a train east to Zwolle…lovely town, great pancake restraunt beside the canal and good cafe`s (not coffee shops :wink:)
    nice scenery there and back to enjoy on the train aswell,
    lots of bikes there too… lots and lots…

or even better get a bike and train it to Swolle and ride the dyke road alongside the river ijssel to daventer and return by train…
    proberly one of the most scenic parts of Netherlands 😮

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU3uwQNvs0g[/video]

nickc

How did the Germans ever miss her? There are signs practically everywhere for her house….

Rubber_Buccaneer

Hire a bike is a good idea. Not because I saw any great rides when I cycled there years ago but so you can marvel at what proper provision for cyclists is like.

Then it’s down to the usual drugs, clubs & window shopping around the red light district for the pure entertainment value. I’d also recommend going to a sex show for the sheer ‘I can’t believe they do this’ factor.

I enjoyed my few days there, great place & great people was my experience.

AndyA
    Free Member

[/quote]dans160 – Member
    La Vie en Proost. I may have spelt that wrong, I wasn’t really paying much attention.

I’ll 2nd that

Macgyver

Rent a bike and just pootle around. Pretty nice places here and there.
    When I went riding there I just about saw this head passing the otherside of a car. Well the top of a head viewed through the car windows. Cool I thought, recumbant bike. Nope, it was a midget on a little bike 😉

HansRey

also, another for heineken experience. Go for a walk around the dark side (leather area)… that’s certainly thought provoking. There’s a brewery bar in the red light area, at the train station end.

Mushrooms are hard to find, but i was offered enough E to last a week (shame i don’t touch that stuff). Be careful with any spacecakes, their varieties are stronger and generally served in greater quantities in ‘Dam than elsewhere in NL.

For a touch of sophistication (dutch style), and away from the tourists, visit Utrecht and ‘s Hertogenbosch (a.k.a. Den Bosch).

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

The main highlight being my mate locking himself in his hotel room trying to separate the darkness from the light

Ha ha! Did he succeed?

edhornby

the stedelijk (the modern art museum) is good too, and I think it’s free…. it’s at the other end of the plaza where the Rijksmuseum is

Xylene
    Free Member

Mushrooms were replaced with truffles due to tourist casualties, truffles were the last way to get around the mushroom definition

fubar
    Free Member
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘What to do in Amsterdam….’ is closed to new replies.