Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • What to do if you been sold a Duffer! By a fellow STW rider.
  • sonofapitch
    Free Member

Waiting for a replying email so won’t be pointing fingers and naming and shaming. Yet!
    What are the general thoughts of the singletrack people?
    Apart from burning at the stake or stoning 😉

higgo
    Free Member

Seatpost?
    Stick it up their ….

Vortexracing

Apart from burning at the stake or stoning

both

unless it’s me of course then it’s obviously a honest mistake 😉

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Depends if they’re a “big hitter” or not, if they are then anything you try and do could have dire consequences.

If not

Then name and shame, send them abusive emails, round up a few other forum members and bully them off the forum. This is a tried and tested technique and definitely makes you come out looking rather smart with your head held high.

stevede
    Free Member

I would have said that waiting for an email in return would be the first thing. Then take it from there. I’ve been on the other end of a dodgy transaction unfortunately having found out today that the ccdb I traded with someone on here has a leaky compression adjuster – i’d only used it myself a handful of times for dh days and was totally unaware of the issue. Now I’ve offered the seller 2 options – a much reduced price to cover the cost of a service or the transaction reversed. No pitch forks needed due to good communication and both parties being genuine, how the classifieds should operate. Hope you get sorted out too.

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Surprise suprise no email.

bruneep

Is this something you’ve “forked” out for recently or something not to “sweat” about?
    *was stalking through your history?

cb

Does no one on here ever talk to one another? If I were spending 300 notes (maybe) on, for instance a fork, then I’d want a telephone number for a pre-purchase chat. Shifty characters can usually be found out this way.

I’d give 2-3 days then begin to get public (initially in a please call me kind of way).

As stevede experienced, these things can get sorted. I sold a frame that had a crack – which I had no idea about because I’d bought it on here and then bought a full bike version of the same thing. Hence the frame was never touched and remained in the box. When the buyer called, I simply refunded him before searching out the seller (to me in the first place) on here. The crack was visible in the pictures he had put up online so he also refunded me. All conducted in a very civilised way.

smell_it
    Free Member

Hope they don’t have a blue P before their user name, there seems to be a diplomatic immunity scheme for one member whose name and reference to the incident cannot be mentioned without the mods deleting the posts. I wonder if this post will last long enough for you to read it……

footflaps

Not everyone reads their email every day, bit soon to be organising a lynch party….

legend
    Free Member

It’s never too soon to organise a lynch party

wisepranker
    Free Member

It seems there’s a few dodgy sellers floating about on STW at the moment.
    Just had a run-in with one myself but thankfully I managed to get my money back. Sadly though, someone else is a fair amount out of pocket as a result of it.

STW need to do something similar to pinkbike with a thread for scammers and dishonest sellers where you can name and shame them and they get hit with the banstick!

Tom83

If I’m selling something (usually a frame, as i can’t make my mind up) I’ll make sure to post photo’s etc. I use the same rule for buying stuff too, i don’t get why people just put “photo’s available on request”. Just stick some bloody pics up!

Hope you get it sorted though!

teamslug
    Free Member

I think cb makes a good point. Why would you shell out big money for something if you have no idea about the character who is selling. A quick call and using your head can save a lot of hassle. Wiseprank has a good point too…don’t want to classifieds on here turning into pinkbike2…And for what its worth I would give the guy the chance to reply ( it is holiday season) before the mud slinging starts cos chances of getting it sorted then diminish considerably.

Rickos
    Free Member

As stevede experienced, these things can get sorted. I sold a frame that had a crack – which I had no idea about because I’d bought it on here and then bought a full bike version of the same thing. Hence the frame was never touched and remained in the box. When the buyer called, I simply refunded him before searching out the seller (to me in the first place) on here. The crack was visible in the pictures he had put up online so he also refunded me. All conducted in a very civilised way.

Exactly the same has just happened these past few days with me and footflaps. All sorted. footflaps = one of the good guys.

footflaps

Exactly the same has just happened these past few days with me and footflaps. All sorted. footflaps = one of the good guys.

As they say, ‘Do as you would be done by’

ojom
    Free Member

As Rickos says = footflaps is a good guy if something goes wrong.

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Let’s hope this guy turns out to be a good guy.
    Refund or repair that’s what I would want.
    Fingers crossed.

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Edit ^ a reply would be nice.

amedias
    Free Member

as people have already said, you need to give him more time to reply.

I sometimes go 48 hours or more without checking mailboxes, and with people going on holiday etc it can take longer.

did you get a phone number before paying, if so maybe try giving him a call…

sonofapitch
    Free Member

24 hours to go.
    Please bring rotten fruit,eggs,fish and potatoes or stones to this public flogging. 🙂

higgo
    Free Member

I wait with basted breasts.

hugor
    Free Member

I can accept that not everybody checks their emails daily like I do but if I were in the middle of a transaction or important matter I certainly would. Its not like the internet is difficult to access.
    Good luck.
    I dont think I could handle the stress associated with an expensive purchase with a stranger over the internet.

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Sorry to let you all down but there will be no flogging!
    He has turned out to be a top chap and I’ll never hear a bad word said about him.
    Case Closed 😉

Rickos
    Free Member

So who is the top chap? Nice to know who the good guys are as well as the scrotes.

hora
    Free Member

So he spotted this topic first then.

unklehomered
    Free Member

But now we’re all worked up with no-one to lynch…

crotchrocket
    Free Member

post history? look and learn

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘What to do if you been sold a Duffer! By a fellow STW rider.’ is closed to new replies.