Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • What to check after hacked Hotmail account
  • higgo
    Free Member

My sister’s had her Hotmail account hacked. While away from home, with her computer switched off, she’s started spewing out loads of emails to everyone in her address book.

The account was automatically blocked by Windows Live and she’s just had it reset with a new password.

So what else should she check?
    I’d be concerned about:
    1) accounts with a similar password
    2) keylogger?

Olly
    Free Member

mine went at what may be the same time (friday night)

As i understand it, her account hasnt been hacked.
    the server it is hosted on got hacked, and was used to send spam emails from all the accounts, to all the contacts.

there is a possibility that they COULD look at your password, and emails you have sent and recieved, as they full access to the account, depending on the specifics of the hack.

HOWEVER

if they’ve been using the server for spam, with thousands if not tens of thousands of accounts in there, they probably aren’t interested, and havent bothered.

i changed my password which should correct it all, and am going to rely on the theory that dilution will mean i will be ok (as ALL my accounts use the same password, AND login, *cough* including singletrack *cough*

higgo
    Free Member

Thanks Olly – useful info to know it may have been the server rather than her individual account.

edit: though I’m not sure what I’m doing taking advice from someone who (a) uses the same password for everything and (b) advertises the fact.

enfht
    Free Member

Fella I work with had his hotmail account hacked last week too.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘What to check after hacked Hotmail account’ is closed to new replies.