Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • What things (consumer goods) could we all live without?
  • rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Inspired by the plug in air conditioner thread, what things do people buy that we all KNOW are totally unnecessary?

My personal pet hate is Oatso Simple.

My wife pointed out to me once on a mums forum, someone asking for something that would be like porage but which could be prepared in just a few minutes, to which the obvious answer is "porage"

And yet, someone has come up with the amazing idea of putting oats into little sachets and charging £20 a kilo for them, instead of £1 a kilo in a big bag.

What hideous examples of the marketeers dark arts get your goat?

druidh
    Free Member

My pet hate is people that can't spell porage.

A Gold Star to you sir!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Chip shops that charge for poxy little pots of ketchup.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cling film
    Fabric softener
    Air freshener
    Low fat cheese ( its just cheese and water)
    tumble dryers
    dishwashers

Adam_85
    Free Member

Old films on Bluray

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

microwaves

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

microwaves

I find mine very handy. Defrosting at the last minute, reheating left over pizza ect…

FoxyChick
    Free Member

dishwashers
    ready meals
    airfresheners
    pre-chopped vegetables!!!!!!!!!!! 😈
    Dairy "lunchables"
    satnavs
    margarine
    mobile phones(we used manage somehow 🙄 )

Hairychested
    Free Member

Geared bicycles with suspension.
    Microwaves.
    Digital cameras.
    Mobile phones.
    Computers.
    Tesco/Asda.

billybob
    Free Member

satnavs are brilliant – on your own in a car in a strange city no more getting lost.

Agree with dishwashers/tumble dryers

Convenience food twice the price, 8 x as bad for you & none of the flavour.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I can spell porage, I just can't spell porridge.

Come on, some of these are too controversial (usefull). I think a very good argument could be made for a dishwasher or a microwave.

I'm thinking more about things like de-icing aerosols.

Hairychested
    Free Member

satnavs are brilliant – on your own in a car in a strange city no more getting lost.

Have you actually used one? Jeez, never getting lost?! 🙄

djc1245
    Free Member

car
    mobile phones
    tumble drier
    dishwasher
    supermarkets

aP
    Free Member

TV,
    dishwasher,
    mobile phone,
    tumble dryer,
    car,
    juicer,
    toaster,
    gaggia,
    low fat anything,
    cheap flights,
    estate agents,

aP
    Free Member

David Cameron,
    football,
    rugby,
    skiing,
    telesales,

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Sat-navs aren't just something we can live without but something we should live without!

How many SN users have to use the it everytime they go somewhere now, even to the same place they went last week, never ever learning the route just moronically following the instructions of Homer Simpson, Mr T, choose your annoying voice.

nuke

If people are going to post lists of objects, it would also be interesting if they also said if they do or don't live without them.

The ones that annoy me are the silly kitchen objects…
    doughnut maker, popcorn maker, chocolate fountain etc (of which I have none)

:edit: and I just found you can buy…
    http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/P~147912~Giles+Posner+Peanut+Butter+Maker 🙄

nickc

Dishwashers I could live without I guess, don't want to though, thanks all the same. You could say the same thing about most household appliances I suppose.

hels
    Free Member

You have seen my list on the thread that started this, all mentioned above.

I hate Sat Navs too, moronic, and I have travelled loads. Stopping to ask for directions in a foreign country is just part of the fun. And have seen some amusing signs out venturing on my road bike in Scotland. On the roads around Selkirk "Sat Navs incorrect, road unsuitable for motor vehicles" so followed it and can confirm, you would have to have your brain removed to follow a Sat Nav up there in a car. Wonder why they put the sign up ?

I nearly got rid of my TV a few years ago, if it wasn't for Battlestar Galactica I might have done it. Gave up that battle, but the microwave is out the door as soon as it breaks.

Can't bring myself to but anything overpackaged, or overpriced cleaning products. Yes I am one of those annoying people that goes up to the supermarket counter with my fruit and veg unrestrained… weirdo !

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

No microwave, no sat-nav.

I'll fight to the death for my dishwasher though!

FoxyChick
    Free Member

nuke…the only things I use on my list are a mobile and margarine.
    I hate marg., but it's sometimes easier to spread on sarnies than butter when it's cold! (See, we don't have the heating on in the morning, when we get up and out of the house!!) 8)

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I still don't think you're trying hard enough.

Chocolate fountain is a good one, but most of the other things might be thought useful by someone.

Also, most generic items like "toaster" don't get pushed at us by marketeers, although a closely related item that should definitely be on the list is the George Foreman grill. It serves no purpose. The simpler and just as effective griddle pan was already available when it was introduced.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Hell's teeth…it's chuffin' Sunday morning…I don't want to have to try hard at all!! 🙄

😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

haha hels i do that – fruit and veg rolling all over the conveyor belt 😀

I do like my microwave though for heating stuff quickly (that ive made previously and froze) after rides

I would have been tvless (has been for past 5 years ) but the girlfriend wanted tv for when im out riding haha

pressure washers – they did keep me in a job for years though 😀

hels
    Free Member

Here's another one I can't believe nobody has mentioned:

Bottled water (although do buy it for camping/races but keep the bottles and refill them heaps)

Flavored drinks e.g. coke etc (rot your teeth and the water tastes nice in Scotland)

nickc

Interesting to see who has a family and who's single or just a couple.

trail_rat
    Free Member

14 litres of tesco value water under the seat in my van – doesnt go off .

people slag me for buying it "comes out the tap free i can fill bottles" – leave it under the seat for long time(between races) and it will taste nasty and have plenty bacteria in it !

pod coffee machines should be destroyed !

Coyote
    Free Member

Quite like the dishwasher, like a magic cupboard where you store dirty dishes until it's full, press a button and hey presto! Clean stuff! Didn't I also read somewhere that it, if used in this way, it is also much more efficient than washing your two plates, two forks, two knives, two spoons and two cups every time you use them. I also find my tumble drier very handy too thank you very much.

Sat-navs however I don't see the point of. Quick bit of research before setting off will assist you to find your destination with ease and also help develop your sense of direction thereby enabling the process next time.

ddmonkey

Satnavs,
    Satnavs,
    Lady Gaga,
    Ready grated cheese,
    Breast implants,
    All gossip magazines and lads mags.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I'll give you my tumble drier (well washer/drier to be precise) when you take it from my cold dead hands 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

This thread should be dedicated to Reckitt Benckiser the advertising blurb is makers of products that 'delight as they make life's daily routine easier and better'.

The truth, as told in an interview there, is we create consumer desire for things that people don't really need.

I'l not buy any dishwasher tabs without a powerball now FFS.

peteimpreza

With Coyote on the dishwasher.

Ditched microwave years ago.

Ready meals and processed foods.
    Low fat options.

Bunnyhop

Bottled water is an absolute pet hate.
    Children taking all these packaged items to school in their lunch box. In my day ( oh no here we go again) a lunch box contained, sandwiches, a piece of fruit, maybe a small chocolate bar and we were all given a plastic cup for tap water at the table. The children now have so much junk, fruit juices in cartons and bottles, cheese dippers in containers, dairylea type things in foil etc.

Hels – I'm with you, all my fruit and veg is bought loose at the greengrocers, put straight into my bag at the checkout. What is it with these people who put bananas, pineapples, mangoes, in fact anything with a natural skin on, into a thin plastic bag before they get to the counter.

Bunnyhop

ddmonkey – it is strange watching films from the mid 1980's and anything before, as most of the women don't have breast implants and look normal.

Any cosmetic surgery that is performed to make one look younger, IMO is something we could all live without.

druidh
    Free Member

Bunnyhop – Member

Any cosmetic surgery that is performed to make one look younger, IMO is something we could all live without.

Agree – especially as some of us just don't need it.

Nick

What's wrong with dishwashers? Lots of studies have shown that they are significantly more efficient (i.e. use less energy, water and detergents) than had washing, but only if they are used full and you don't use the
    drying cycle.

Sat Navs vs trying to use an A-Z? not hard to see which one is safer and quicker.

druidh
    Free Member

btw – Sat Navs also help reduce fuel use.

dyna-ti

Supermarkets that want to charge you 5p for a bag,just after youve spent £200 with them
    Is that a pisstake or what.
    and
    Adverts
    for instance- Activia
    they say its sooo good for you and prove it with a study that says 'Based upon two pots daily'
    So we have to buy 14 pots a week to stay healthy
    What utter tosh 😡
    Eat a sandwich with a microscopic bit of mould on it and you've achieved the same thing.
    Anything antibacterial 😈
    Thats a F***ing joke too.

Rio

So the weather's so bad that people are reduced to talking about useless consumer goods on a Sunday morning!

Mrs R is a fan of Lakeland who seem to be an emporium of consumer goods you didn't realise you didn't need. I'd nominate half of the content of their shops. Recent consignees to the back of a drawer include a toothpaste tube squeezer. Who thought of that?

Don't understand people's aversions to dishwashers – what's wrong with something that does a job better than you could do by hand using less water and energy?

trail_rat
    Free Member

how about you just dont use carrier bags then ? then you wont feel bad about paying 5p a bag for them

my shopping goes straight into my panniers

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘What things (consumer goods) could we all live without?’ is closed to new replies.