Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • What The Greens' Got Wrong
  • Spongebob
    Free Member

Watching the Channel 4 film on the matter now. I’m sure this will be a good topic of debate.

Watch this space.

Garry_Lager

Episode 1 of a 176 part series no doubt.

cranberry
    Free Member

Episode 1:

Complaining about someone having a slightly bigger car than average, whilst bringing children into the world – which unless you are the drunk captain of an oil tanker is the most environmentally unfriendly thing you could do.

Episode 2:

Nuclear power.

Junkyard
    Free Member

episode 3:
    Global warming ….my arse

Epsiode 4:
    Consume your way out of global catastrophe

Episode 5:
    Nucleur power the new green energy source

Not like you bob to only watch programmes you will agree with you are usually so open minded on these sort of things. Have they got one after about why labour are tutterly sh1t …tv heaven for you perhaps the latter will be on sky somewhere?

Spongebob
    Free Member

I’m feelin the love Junkyard! 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

😀
    Is brokeback mountain on now 😯

molgrips
    Free Member

Not very impressed with C4 recently. I’ve stopped watching it.

KonaTC

To save anyone watching it; simplistic view

Nuclear power + GM Food = good or Coal Fired Power Stations + Starvation = Bad

Malaria = Bad, DDT good in small doses = Good as it saves lives

Spongebob
    Free Member

The real issue is we have too many people in the world and the rate of increase is frightening. One day there will be insufficient land to grow food for everyone. I can’t imagine what that will be like.

Regarding finite resources; if only people would modify their behaviour to slash their consumption, but this is the last thing on most people’s minds. Self-gratification is what makes people tick, not the future of the human race.

Governments like the tax revenue, so only pay lip service to a reduction in consumption. Of course they love to invent new green taxes, but from where I stand nothing they are doing actually reduces the waste.

At a micro level, I just returned a hire car today – a 2L Diesel automatic which struggled to do 40mpg. I am so pleased to get my 1.9L diesel car back which can easily do 65mpg. I was talking to my neighbour about the useless MPG of this newer car and he laughed because he owns two cars with large engines. If he gets 24mpg he counts himself lucky. Why buy such wasteful vehicles? Ego? Self-gratification? Insecurity? Why do governments allow these gas guzzlers to be produced?

I hate driving and do negligible miles now, but i’m sure my carbon footprint is huge compared to someone living in the third world. We really shouldn’t have personal transport, but once an infrastructure is implemented, economies become dependant on them and it’s nigh on impossible to reverse the process.

It’s a worry all this consumption, but updating to green technology costs a lot of money and most of what we can do here in out little corner of the planet is really going to make little difference to the big picture.

Things are really messed up and I can’t see how we are going to fix what is a global issue.

My bet is no adequate action will occur to combat this matter until it’s too late.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

1 nuclear power station in the arse end of cumbria (yes I live here) or 5000 turbines in your garden and lights off on clear frosty mornings

You Decide

(Ok so I was never an environmentalist but I did live in the real world)

Spongebob
    Free Member

Is brokeback mountain on now

Does that sort of thing float your boat?

luked2
    Free Member

Exactly what Spongebob said. Except that additionally, governments are all too wrapped up in economic woes and our (mostly self-inflicted) war-on-terror to care one iota.

Perhaps in a few thousand years time aliens from Gliese 876 will wander around the ruins of our former civilization and marvel at what we achieved, and yet wonder where it went wrong.

molgrips
    Free Member

Why buy such wasteful vehicles? Ego? Self-gratification? Insecurity? Why do governments allow these gas guzzlers to be produced?

See the car experts thread from yesterday. I got a right pasting for questioning this. It apparently doesn’t matter, because even though we are all emitting too much collectively, we don’t need to cut our emissions individually because it won’t make any difference to total emissions.

governments are all too wrapped up in economic woes

With some justification to be honest. If the economy tanks then nothing progressive will get done. If it completely collapses there’ll be a whole lot of human trouble to deal with. Unless it really really collapses, in which case we’ll all die which would be good for the environment, but bad overall.

tazzymtb

A group of environmentalists across the world believe that, in order to save the planet, humanity must embrace the very science and technology they once so stridently opposed.

In this film, these life-long diehard greens advocate radical solutions to climate change, which include GM crops and nuclear energy. They argue that by clinging to an ideology formed more than 40 years ago, the traditional green lobby has failed in its aims and is ultimately harming its own environmental cause.

As author and environmentalist Mark Lynas says, ‘Being an environmentalist was part of my identity and most of my friends were environmentalists. We were involved in the whole movement together. It took me years to actually begin to question those core, cherished beliefs. It was so challenging it was almost like going over to the dark side. It was a like a horrible dark secret you couldn’t share with anyone.’

Junkyard
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    1 nuclear power station in the arse end of cumbria (yes I live here) or 5000 turbines in your garden and lights off on clear frosty mornings

You Decide

Your family going ot bury the waste in your backgarden for the next 500,000 years?

tazzymtb

the human race will have wiped itself out well before 500,00 years!

or

the nasty bad evil science men may actually find a way to reprocess the waste and do something useful with it in the future.That’s the joy of scientific research rather than looking back to the dark ages.

noteeth
    Free Member

may actually find a way to reprocess the waste

Perhaps flying pigs could tow it into space?

tazzymtb

are you a research scientist in the field of nuclear physics?

200 years ago generating energy for use in horseless carriages by burning the refined liquid remains of dinosaurs was equally proposterous.

unfortunately we’re kind of **** regardless so we an either wring our hands and wail about it, or try and find a way forward that will actually meet the energy requirements of the continuing population explosion.

The other option is to cease all aid to countries where crisis/famine occurs and let the world population drastically reduce which will have the biggest impact on the planets environment.

noteeth
    Free Member

are you a research scientist in the field of nuclear physics?

Don’t need to be a research scientist to spot a large white elephant.

Dealing with high-grade nuclear waste is of a different magnitude to the invention of the internal combustion engine. IMO, of course.

Still, I’m sure people are working on it.

Tenuous
    Free Member

may actually find a way to reprocess the waste

Perhaps flying pigs could tow it into space?

Either that or use one of the various designs of fast breeder reactors that don’t produce long-lived waste. Not to mention being massively less wasteful of fuel.

tazzymtb

they already reprocess nuclear waste and have been since the 50’s to recycle as much as possible with current technology. It massively reduces the volume of the waste and the toxic leftovers are easier to store, although they are still exceeding dangerous. The main issue with reprocessing waste is the threat of terrorism due to fact that fuel cells can still be used to make bombs even when they don’t have enough output for a power station.

It’s not a complete solution by any means and renewable energy has to be the answer in the long term, but well planned nuclear energy may be a usable tool to meet the energy shortfall for now?

Junkyard
    Free Member

The other option is to cease all aid to countries where crisis/famine occurs and let the world population drastically reduce which will have the biggest impact on the planets environment

the problem is the rich western world using disproportionate amounts of resources – see the USA consumption levels ,co2 outputs etc. That would not work and is as well thought out as your useful radioactive waste products scenario – there is wishful thinking, optomisn and stupidity do you know which one you are yet on the later issue?#
    EDIT:

The main issue with reprocessing waste is the threat of terrorism due to fact that fuel cells can still be used to make bombs even when they don’t have enough output for a power station.

NO the cells can be reused for fuel but is not weapons grade – here have reference from the pro lobby here is the quote for you

Arising from a year’s operation of a typical l000 MWe nuclear reactor, about 230 kilograms of plutonium (1% of the spent fuel) is separated in reprocessing. This can be used in fresh mixed oxide (MOX) fuel (but not weapons, due its composition).

http://www.world-nuclear.org/education/wast.htm

here have a get out clause did you mean dirty bomb?

noteeth
    Free Member

fast breeder reactors

And how does new & all singing/dancing technology help us with existing waste?

Not trolling – just interested…

Edit: “It’s not a complete solution by any means” – exactly.

Kit
    Free Member

Until renewables are able to provide a base load to the National Grid (and assuming the population of the UK, for instance, wants constant power) we have to carry on using coal and gas, with nuclear. When the coal runs out in 150years, we’ll have found something to provide us with sufficient constant energy. Until then, bridging technologies such as carbon capture and storage are crucial.

tazzymtb

junkyard-as an environmental scientist, I’m probably a wee bit further up the path of understanding than an uneducated tree hugging crusty, but hey I’ll be stupid if that helps to propagate your view of the world

tazzymtb

dirty bomb you buffoon, not a nuclear bomb, jeeze do i have to teach you about terrorism as well?

Tenuous
    Free Member

And how does new & all singing/dancing technology help us with existing waste?

Not trolling – just interested…

Why should it?

Mind you, theoretically you could probably dig up old waste and use it as fuel, but it’s almost certainly too expensive an option.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i edited without reading that though I assume you will choose not to believe that.

molgrips
    Free Member

‘Being an environmentalist was part of my identity and most of my friends were environmentalists

This is what pisses me off. ‘Environmentalism’ isn’t some kind of cult where you wave a flag for its core beliefs. It’s something you have to integrate into your life. Making out that science and progress are evil and bad is just stupid, and does not help anyone.

Any sensible person could see that GM could have massive environmental benefits. And to be honest, they do. It’s just the smallminded zealots who go around dressed in alien suits making idiots of themselves.

Don’t need to be a research scientist to spot a large white elephant.

It helps to see solutions to the problem though. (I think you mean elephant in the room btw).

richmtb

Climate change is real and dangerous but…

When environmentalists refuse to take into account advances in technology and science, what they are preaching becomes dogma.

Nuclear is a perfect example of this. Rather than embrace how far the technology has moved on environmentalists drag the debate down using the tactics of fear.

The sorry fact is that climate change is now such a reality that nuclear accidents are a better alternative than continuing to pump CO2 into the atmosphere

epicyclo

It’s not that what the greens want is wrong, it’s the unintended consequences.

Eg, clamp down on pollution in western world companies = good.

But then the companies go broke or shift to importing goods from far eastern companies with no/minimal environmental safeguards.

All that has happened is the pollution (and the jobs) have been shifted to a different hemisphere.

There should be some sort of trade tariff to equalise product costs from overseas companies with local that accounted for the damage being done.

Environmentalism has helped bugger our economy but simply shifted where the damage is happening.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Tazzy Do i need to smack you about like an ill educated buffooon till you have learnt some manners?
    😉

tazzymtb

unfortunately there is a tendency for both sides of the “green issue” to have zealots that cling to their dogma without actually looking for a solution. what is needed is for open debate to look at all the possible solutions and to recognise that there will have to be a nasty messy compromise somewhere in the middle as an interim step towards the future.

Junkyard- Sorry didn’t mean to get you all flustered and grumpy but this is such an easy wind up/trollage area I get a bit cheeky 😉

molgrips- I quite like your prius

noteeth
    Free Member

Why should it?

As in – any new, all-singing, dancing technology…

I think you mean elephant in the room btw

“White Elephant” as in potential taxpayer-funded clean-up costs, subsidy etc – although also conceivably a large elephant in the room, in that people seem to be unwilling to talk about it…

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Not like you bob to only watch programmes you will agree with you are usually so open minded on these sort of things.

As you seem to be also Junkyard

molgrips
    Free Member

unfortunately there is a tendency for both sides of the “green issue” to have zealots that cling to their dogma without actually looking for a solution

Human nature innit.

Personally, I’m pro nuclear. Yes there’s waste, but it’s got to be easier to deal with than the waste from traditional power, which tends to float off into the atmosphere and bugger up the climate.

molgrips- I quite like your prius

It does far to many miles tho. Wish I could keep it and myself at home all week.

tazzymtb

which tends to float off into the atmosphere and bugger up the climate.

especially when you consider that emission discharge limits are not set by what is good for the environment but rather what large industry lobby groups say is an achievable goal or else they’ll take their ball somewhere else.

Junkyard
    Free Member

As you seem to be also Junkyard

A fair point that I expected to be made much earlier.I guess we all do this to some degree.
    I do read stuff and listen to stuff I disagree with but I dont watch much tv.

Tenuous
    Free Member

Personally, I’m pro nuclear. Yes there’s waste, but it’s got to be easier to deal with than the waste from traditional power, which tends to float off into the atmosphere and bugger up the climate.

Not to mention that coal contains trace amounts of uranium and thorium, which gets concentrated and pumped out in the fly ash. Pretty sure there are studies showing that coal power stations actually produce more radioactive waste per unit of energy produced than nuclear ones.

avdave2

Mind you, theoretically you could probably dig up old waste and use it as fuel, but it’s almost certainly too expensive an option.

I did read recently that the metal content of many older landfill sites means they could become economically viable to dig up.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘What The Greens' Got Wrong’ is closed to new replies.