Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • What The ****? Sheep on an MRI scanner??
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

I've just seen the local east mids news, is it April fools day again? I swear I've just seen a sheep (actually a ram) on an MRI scanner so farmers can see the best ones for breeding! I had to wait six weeks to get my knee scanned!!!!

bruk

Pay for it up front and lots of tests can be done quicker. Most private medicine companies utilise NHS equipment out of normal hours (and pay to use it)

That said looks like this was a mobile scanner from the Scottish Agriculture College and is an ex NHS one at that.

£85 is bloody good value though!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I assume he paid for it where as you are waiting in line for all of us to pay for it!

BTW Some rams are worth upwards of £15k so it is probably worth it too

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I saw that this morning on TV. They never did say what they were actually looking for in the scans of healthy sheep. Which made the whole story pretty pointless imo.

bruk

You can measure fat/muscle/bone ratios very accurately to pick out the ones with lots of lean muscle to selectively breed from them.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Ah, fair enough, they never said that – just that they were looking for "the best ones for breeding".

Although I would have thought that just a good prod, would have provided a fair bit of information about the quantity of "lean muscle" – no ? 😕

It seems to work for humans, and it would have saved on the costs of scans.

Still, I can't imagine farmers would be wasting money on scans – if they weren't needed.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Dr P loves the zoo, ask him to tell ya about it 😀

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘What The ****? Sheep on an MRI scanner??’ is closed to new replies.