Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • what the best fast rolling, light weight road clincher?
  • asterix
    Free Member

looking for a light, fast summer tyre

glupton1976
    Free Member

Michelin Pro Race 4?

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve always found Michelins Pro Race tyres good but this is almost like asking what the best beer is. No one ever agrees 🙂

amplebrew

No personal experience, but my work partner swears by Ultremo ZX tyres.

BenjiM

Ultremo ZX are very quick IME

asterix
    Free Member

there’s just so much choice and no-one can try them all.

I’m trying to lose a few grams (current 4 Seasons are 225g) so looking at:

Michelin Pro Race 4s
    Vittoria Diamante Pro Light
    Swalbe Ultremo ZLX

any views would be v welcome, cheers

phil.w
    Free Member

Ultremo’s are amazing but I won’t use my ZX’s except for racing. I switched to Ultremo DD’s as they are more puncture resistant for only a little performance drop.

If you’re not doing high mileage in them or really want the few grams weight saving then the ZX’s are great.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I’m riding Ultremo ZX and think they’re lovely. Only done about 1000 miles on them including a week in Majorca but they grip beautifully, and aren’t showing any signs of nicks or splits.

lunge

If you value speed over puncture resistance the open tubular tyres are bloody great. I have some Challenge Forte’s and some Veloflex Masters that are awesome, very fast, supple and light. Not overly hardwaring though. Ultremo’s are good as well but my last 2 pairs have split and had to be sent back for a warranty claim.

dannybgoode

I can only second lunge – check the Veloflex range out – simply to most gorgeous (if a little fragile) tyre I have ever ridden.

Records more robust than masters and Pave (or Black same tyre) more robust again but slightly heavier

Really very very lovely…

Cheers

Danny B

The-Beard

Conti GP4000s black chilli, awesome tyres. Wear well too.

crikey
    Free Member

Conti 4000s for general mucking about, but Vredestein Fortezza Tricomps for serious stuff; they don’t last as long but grip in the wet too.

plop_pants
    Free Member

I’ve used Pro race 4s and 3s. The 4s’ sidewalls are thin and are not as
    robust as the 3s. For that reason and the fact they are cheaper I still use 3s. No noticeable difference (to me) in performance.

clubber
    Free Member
    ransos
    Free Member

I have Pro Race 3s. Good tyres but seem a bit vulnerable to cuts from flints, glass etc.

asterix
    Free Member

thanks everyone. I am a cheapskate too so in the end I went for a pair of ProRace 3 Lights reduced to £16.28 each

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘what the best fast rolling, light weight road clincher?’ is closed to new replies.