• This topic has 24 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What television for £500 ?
  • sputnik
    Free Member

At the moment I am going for the Samsung UE40D5520.
    Spec: Full HD 1080, LED Backlit with 100Hz Clear Motion Rate.

Got a wonderful review on TechRadar. It is not 42″ but 40″ , not that it bothers me.

Any other ideas for a telly around £500?

xcgb
    Free Member

Could get a bike for that……..

sputnik
    Free Member

…what tyres for a £500 bike 😉

thekingisdead
    Free Member

I got the Samsung you’re looking at. Can’t fault it, best I could find for the money.
    Oh and if you’re buying from richer sounds, check its the proper o.e model, they almost sold me a lower spec model with the same model name.

Drac

Go for that one but from John Lewis, take a print out of Richer Sounds page with the price and they may well match it.

sputnik
    Free Member

King, I’m planning to buy from John Lewis, free delivery and 1 extra year guarantee . Thanks for the warning though!
    Edit: Drac , you must have posted a couple of seconds before I replied 🙂

xcgb
    Free Member

take a print out of Richer Sounds page with the price and they may well match it.

Do this, on a stereo they actually beat an amazon price by £10 not just matched it for me

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I think I looked at that one and there were not many inputs on the back

sputnik
    Free Member

FunkyD, it got 4 HDMI, 1 SCART and 2 USB.( + ethernet, CI slot)

Milkie
    Free Member

Looks good, HD Freeview and Smart TV. 😉
    Samsung make lovely TV’s. Good for gaming too!

scuttler

Got the 37 inch version in August?? last year after a fair bit of research and love it. Be aware the to connect it wirelessly you need the Samsung dongle at about 35 quid. I’ve also subsequently bought the 200 quid Yamaha soundbar because all tellies of this type have crappy sound as they’re so thin.

mudshark
    Free Member

I saw some great deals at http://www.currys.co.uk when I looked a few weeks ago.

Drac

Be aware the to connect it wirelessly you need the Samsung dongle at about 35 quid.

There’s 3rd party ones too, been looking at the Samsung TVs too.

Cougar

I think I looked at that one and there were not many inputs on the back

HDMI to amplifier. What else to you need? (-:

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Last year’s Panasonic 42” plasma is on sale at £499 with Comet (or it was) – my brother got one and is very happy with it.

RS4KEV

mastiles_fanylion – Member
    Last year’s Panasonic 42” plasma is on sale at £499 with Comet (or it was) – my brother got one and is very happy with it.

Reduced to £460, bought one last week, very nice.

stevehine

Can’t go far wrong with a Panasonic plasma – I just picked up a 50″ one for 579 from currys/pcworld (P50G30) – it’s bloody lovely.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Check it has all the internet apps you want. When I was shopping for a new TV not all the Samsung ones had iPlayer, which was the main reason for getting a “smart TV”.

Kit
    Free Member

Clearly I bought my TV 5 years too early – £1100 for a 37″ telly without all the fancy internet stuff!

sputnik
    Free Member

Panasonic plasma @ £500 is also a consideration. Mate of mine bought one and can’t speak highly enough of it. The Samsung is still top of my list at the moment.
    Kit, isn’t it like that with all tech stuff nowadays?!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Reduced to £460, bought one last week, very nice.

Yeah that’ll be the one – I knew it was around that price – he got his last week too.

Alphabet

I’m fairly sure that’s the model I bought a couple of months ago from Currys. I love it. I didn’t worry about wifi directly on it as I just plug my laptop in via hdmi if I want internet on it.

soundninjauk

I’ve got a Sony smart tv, and instead of spending £50 on an overpriced wireless adaptor that (according to reviews) could only find the wifi signal when you duct taped it to the router aerial, I went for one of these

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

We got the Samsung. Top rated by WhatHiFi etc. Why buy from John Lewis though? We went with Richer Sounds and can’t fault their service. Plus huge 10% industry winning warranty was a big plus. By the way, it comes with LoveFilm, iPlayer etc. No apps that id want are missing.

Drac

John Lewis price match and you get a 5 years warranty included in the price.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What television for £500 ?’ is closed to new replies.