Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What stem?
  • P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m a bit out of touch.

My current stem, some ‘Lapierre’ branded OE thing is has got some grey/white stuff growing on it, it looks to this non-metalologist like the alu version of rust, anyway all faith gone.

I’m after a tough stem, not DH grade but strength is more important than weight to me. 1 1/8 steerer and 31.8 the other end and less than £50 would be nice.

Anyone know of anything good?

ratherbeintobago

What length/drop etc?

On the basis of the usual STW practice of recommending what you’ve got, I’ve got a 70mm Pro Koryak which seems good enough.

tizzzzle
    Free Member

Truativ Hussefelt every time – cheap, stiff and bombproof

P-Jay
    Free Member

Sorry forgot that, currently got a 70mm- been tempted to go a touch shorter so a 60-70mm.

ratherbeintobago

Pro Koryak, then 😛

benz
    Free Member

Got Hope, Thomson, KCNC, but… On One CNC on my wife’s bike seems pretty good too.

Scapegoat

On One CNC. £20. nice and light.

Superstar Zephyr (looks suspiciously like the On One but comes in bling colours and mix n match faceplates)<£50

Silver Easton Havens at CRC for £30

kayak23

Funn Funduro.

Cheap, light, nice.

rene59
    Free Member

Those funnduros are good stems and great value but note the steerer clamp height is shorter than most others. This may be problem if you trim your steerer for a flush finish and want to change stems at a later date.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I have a Renthal Apex stem and think it’s great. It’s a bit over your budget but I think it’s worth every penny. I have a thing for stems, I can’t have an ugly one on my bike.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Thanks all, I’ll check them all out.

Truativ winning so far, it’s the cheapest and I’m tight AND skint.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

ebay for stems! is one of the few components you can buy 2nd hand worry free. loads of Hopes, renthal duo’s etc <£50

chillidave
    Free Member

The Funnduro is a very nice piece of kit and a nice short stack height. I prefer it to my Thomson X4 I run on another bike (lighter, opposing stem bolts, lower stack height).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What stem?’ is closed to new replies.