Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • what sprung tensioner?
  • thepodge
    Free Member

i know this gets asked a lot but its slightly different this time…

I’m running an Alfine on a full suspension frame and with the superstar tensioner I’m not getting much chain wrap on the sprocket meaning its occasionally slipping.

when I did SSWC I had similar problems made worse with different sized cogs.

so does anyone have any suggestions on a push down tensioner that will increase my chain wrap but also handle 2 full links of chain growth and will run a SS specific chain? also the smaller the better as part of the reason for going Alfine is I was always catching the rear mech on stuff.

thanks

thepodge
    Free Member

anyone?

29erKeith
    Free Member
    birdage

Using the singulateor which works fine. Also the double jockey wheel Alfine tensioner was very good.

wwaswas

I’m using a Rohloff DH tensioner on my Giant NRS SS – copes with the chain length changes fine;

thepodge
    Free Member

the surly doesn’t look different enough to the superstar one to make any difference.

I’ll have a look at the rohloff when I get home, I seem to remember them being hugely expensive though.

not sure if the Alfine specific one works with a bug fat SS chain, any ideas?

thepodge
    Free Member

birdage

Worked on mine with 8 speed chain but I can’t remember if I used with 1/8 inch chain. Sorry. Found the Rohloff surprisingly not to be any better than the Alfine apart from looks and weight.

charliedontsurf

This is the most reliable tensioner we know of. http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/4jeri-tensioner-29-p.asp

Also get the chain as short as possible. And set the spring tension. That should do it.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

My problem with the Surly one is that the springs are too weak to get a decent amount of tension on the chain. Charlie; do those 4Jeri ones have a stronger spring?

thepodge
    Free Member

OK, so here is what i have currently.

as you can see there isn’t much chain wrap at the moment, roughly half the cog. as the frame lengthens under compression the tensioner gets pulled up and i gain more wrap but not a huge amount.

Chain growth on the set-up is a fraction over one link so i’m having to run 2 links in all, if i take that extra link out I’m running the risk of twisting the frame / snapping the chain. I suppose i could try find a half link (Charlie, we spoke about this briefly at SSWC, I was the guy who the bike hut owner thought wanted just one side, left or right, of chain) but i don’t see it making much difference.

What i’d like is to always have as much chain wrap as possible and the slack chain to be managed some other way. By the looks of it a tensioner in the style of a rear mech is the way forwards

Oh and for any bodge fans out there, the PCD (Podge’s chain device) on the right is constructed from one old rear light bracket, an old DMR bb mounted jockey wheel and a beefy bolt. its basically to stop the chain flapping about, fitting it around the chainstay protector means its tight enough to stay in place but loose enough that if it does get knocked the chain brings it back into line.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘what sprung tensioner?’ is closed to new replies.