Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • What spices needed for Jambalaya?
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Making a pot on Sat. night. Main ingredients will be Chorizo, turkey and mussels/prawns.
    Along with the rice & 'holy trinity'of onions, green peppers & celery what spices will i need?

(made this before but can't remember the spice mix)

Drac

You forgot the holyist of holys, Chillies other than that it's don't really have any spices in.

runswithscissors

Only spices are chillies and chilli powder, also put oregano, marjoram and a bay leaf in mine. The real secret is to use the best stock you can find…..imho.

sprootlet
    Free Member

I use a teaspoon of ground ginger, tumeric and smoked paprika. Add as much (or not) chilli as you like and pop 2/3 bayleaves in when you simmer it.
    To get the rice fluffy, coat it in the juices(fat) of the chorizo and when you've added the stock and its simmering, put a lid on it and don't stir it until the rice is cooked and the liquid has gone.
    If you need a recipe let me know….

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Cheers everyone – just cooked up some live mussels that were going cheap, into the freezer now and they'll be fine with the dish on saturday!

Was going to use creole seasoning blend (made at home) of 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper, 2 teaspoons black pepper, 1 teaspoon white pepper, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, bay leaves to taste (2) and salt.

Might be a bit too peppery though..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘What spices needed for Jambalaya?’ is closed to new replies.