Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What softshell – Gore Phantom / Alp X SO windstopper / Endura Stealth
  • charliemort

What’s your experiences? what’s key diffrences etc

The 2 Gore ones seem very similar, think the Alp X is a thinner material?

thanks

wwaswas

Phantom is thicker than a stealth, certainly.

Probably get a longer ‘season’ with a stealth but will need layering up in the colder months.

fathomer

The Alp X is thinner than the Phantom. I’ve got both, though haven’t used the Alp X yet, it is a slimmer cut, even though I’ve gone up a size.

charliemort

ermmm I’m in an XXL Phantom (I’m about 47 inch chest) – Alp x could be snug!

fathomer

I think it’s supposed to be closer fitting but I just found it a little to close in the same size. Good luck!

firestarter
    Free Member

I’ve a Gore oxygen so its lovely 😉 not sure if that helps or not

shredder
    Free Member

I have the Alp X SO normally a L in Gore but needed a XL as more fitted. Great jacket and very versatile, it is quite thin but is effective at blocking wind I see it more as a spring to Autumn jacket.

Hence

Also have a Cosmo for more warmth in a size L as more relaxed fit. Autumn to Spring jacket.

Don’t know if any of that helps

Kryton57

The phantom is a brialliant Jacket and as hinted above I wear mine between now and May. It has an uncanny ability to heat up to a “useful” temp and stay there, without overheating (unless its above 15 degrees or so).

Just been out with my 5yp Phantom sleeveless as it happens.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I have a Phantom SO, and agree with Kryton57 re the excellent temperature regulation.

vinnyeh

I’ve got both the old (N2S Windstopper) and new Phantoms. The old one is a great piece of kit, and made of a really nice fabric, great without a baselayer most of the year (at least in the south), even when wet.
    The newer one is thicker and feels more more softshell like- don”t like it at all, feels a bit boil in the bag on the bike. The cut is a lot looser than I expect from Gore stuff as well.

charliemort

vinnyeh – is the old old the Phantom SO and the new one Phantom 2 SO? 2 SO seems to be what’s in the shops now. When did they change? what’s the difference between old and new?

I’ve got one that is about 6 / 7 years old, which works most of the time

thanks

njee20
    Free Member

I assume he means the old old Phantom N2S (next to skin), which is brilliant, wear mine for MTBing throughout winter. I’ve got a newer Oxygen SO and that’s good, needs a base layer, but is nice and warm – warmer than either of my Assos soft shells, so better for ‘proper’ winter. Less good when it warms up a bit though.

br
    Free Member

I’ve the old N2S Phantom at its a top piece of kit, 3 seasons no problem.

Probably get a longer ‘season’ with a stealth but will need layering up in the colder months.

Disagree, in that the Stealth is a winter jacket. I only wear mine for winter night riding and daytime below 1-2c, and then only with a single longsleeve base. But it is 100% water and windproof and a cracking jacket.

FuzzyWuzzy

As above my experience is very different to wwaswas’s. The Stealth is waterproof but much less breathable than the Phantom (windproof but shrugs off light showers as well). I find my Stealth is too hot to wear when MTBing so just use it when it’s really cold on the road with just one layer underneath. Not tried the Alp-x but the Phantom is very versatile and I’d recommend it as a 3-season softshell but it will wet-out in a lot of rain.

timovery
    Free Member

I bought the Phantom (older model) from Wiggle 3 months ago for commuting. Great jacket, reasonably water resistant (not water proof), and Windproof

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I bought two of the version that has just been replaced.

Small was too small, medium is a little casual in fit for ideal and the front panel hangs a little clear of my chest when riding in prone position.

I have found it very tolerant and useful.

The front panels keep the wind chill off on descents, the thinner rear panels provide for heat escape.

The front zip position can be fettled to allow just the desired wind flow into the jacket as well for cooling if required.

And obviously the arms come off.

I have worn it in some pretty hot weather, and I was out in some heavy downpours last summer but didn’t really seem to notice how bad they were – I came across some older guys touring and with Gore waterproofs on – they said they had sheltered during the downpours but I hadn’t bothered and wondered what they were on about!

charliemort

Ermm interesting

Just got a stealth in the Rutland sale but don’t think it will get much use here in the sunny sarrfff. If I lived in scotch land maybe. Think I’ll stick to mid layer / less hot softshell with shell on top and send it back – nice though

Jamie
    Free Member
    charliemort

booger – only have black in xl. Wanted something a bit brighter………..

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What softshell – Gore Phantom / Alp X SO windstopper / Endura Stealth’ is closed to new replies.