Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What Smartphone?
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Contract with a crap phone coming to an end and want to get a smartphone. Looking today, theres a few Galaxy phones that look good (S, S II, and there was another I can’t remember the name of), various HTCs, Nokia N8 etc etc.

Not wanting a mega expensive monthly tariff, £20 would be the max which seems to give me a fair bit of choice.

What do people reccommend? Anything I should really avoid?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

A long-shot here, but why not try the STW forum search function?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I went to phone shops and had a play with as many phones as possible, then searched the web for reviews of the ones I liked in order to see if there were inherent problems with certain models/OSs. I doesn’t really matter much what other people like as it’s you who has to use the phone every day.

singletracksurfer

HTC desire – like everyone else now 😉

Cougar

On that budget with the given criteria, I’d recommend a San Francisco from Argos and a SIM only + data deal from your provider.

GrahamS

HTC desire – like everyone else now

Not sure I’d buy an HTC Desire now – there seems to be some question about whether it will be getting the Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) update as it doesn’t have enough memory:
    http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/no-android-2-3-update-for-htc-desire-965805

flyingmonkeycorps

I just got a Desire HD on Orange for £20 a month, but it is a 2yr contract. 2.3 is out for the HD already, though if you have an Orange branded one you’re stuck with 2.2 for now.

Cougar

there seems to be some question about whether it will be getting the Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) update as it doesn’t have enough memory:

If you follow the link on that page to their FB page, it seems they’ve retracted that statement now.

It’s irrelevant anyway; the mod community has had Gingerbread on the Desire Classic for months.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Motorola Defy – you won’t scratch it or worry about chucking it in you bag when out for a ride, and it should be within budget.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Motorola Defy. Not the latest-and-greatest spec but most people won’t know the difference, it’s smaller and lighter than many and it’ll maybe take a knock a bit better too.

Garry_Lager

Defy. MTB friendly and good all round. OS is an old version of android if you care about such things. I paid £120 up front and £10 a month on T-mobile, 2 yr contact (data-oriented contract, not a phoner or a texter) – but deals change all the time.

GrahamS

If you follow the link on that page to their FB page, it seems they’ve retracted that statement now.

Update: HTC are now saying they’ll have to chop some apps out to make it fit within the Desire memory.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/htc-will-have-to-cut-apps-for-desire-2-3-update-966876

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

got a sony xperia, i like it. bit annoying that orange/sony will not update it to the latest android os but its a minor gripe. poormans iphone really.

retrorick

UK Defys have just been updated to 2.2.2 today :-). My defy survived a 1hr 15mile commute in pouring rain yesterday in the back pocket of my cycling top. Happy with the cost and performance, there are some ‘cheap’ dual cores out there now but would they withstand the rain?

Rick.

Northwind

All that chat about Desires and Gingerbread is for the old vanilla Desire, doesn’t affect the S, etc- mine shipped with Gingerbread. And it does seem a very nice bit of kit, so far it’s done absolutely nothing weird at all, battery life is decent, peformance seems more than adequate…

clubber
    Free Member

ditto for my desire s. switched from an iPhone 3gs and pretty happy. It’s not quite as slick but it also has some better features – widgets being a big one for me.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What Smartphone?’ is closed to new replies.