Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What small, decent (manual?) camera?
  • nicko74

Another what digital camera question, but this one slightly different from the last couple.
    I’m after something small-ish – not DSLR, and ideally pocketable – that allows the options of (basically) manual shutter release. In other words, when I press the shutter button, the shutter opens – no auto-focus, flash charging etc. Obviously those elements do have their place, but on the various point and shoot compacts I’ve had, even sports mode or its equivalent doesn’t mean “take picture now”.

Apologies for the complete lack of technical jargon (1/10), but that’s what I’m after; budget is probably up to about £350 or so, although flexible, and if it happens to be a good starter camera for ‘proper’ photography, of looking at shot composition, shutter speed etc, then all the better.

Teach me oh wise ones….

BARDSTER
    Free Member

I have a Cannon S-95. It seems to be one of the smallest on the market with the options you want. A mate who is a mountain Guide recommended it. Apparently Bonnington, Leo Houlding and Andy Cave use it.
    I have been really happy with it. Easily fits in a pocket. Often take it running, biking and ski touring.

Bez

The Ricoh GR meets your requirements, a great camera if you can (or prefer to) live without zoom. Any camera with a fixed or manual focus mode should have near-instant shutter release if you use that mode.

A small sensor camera may not be a perfect match for what you want, though, since the effective depth of field on a small sensor is very large, so aperture has relatively little effect on the resulting image. You may do well to look at the cheaper Micro 4/3 cameras (or secondhand ones – LCE generally have a few).

They’re not in pocketable territory, though, unless you have huge pockets. The main candidates I’d class as pocketable would be the GR and the S90/95/100. YMMV.

nicko74

Thanks, will check those out.

DezB
    Free Member

Canon S95 seconded.

molgrips
    Free Member

Obviously those elements do have their place, but on the various point and shoot compacts I’ve had, even sports mode or its equivalent doesn’t mean “take picture now”

You are aware of pre-focusing and metering, aren’t you?

Even with a non-manual autofocus mode you can get instant shutter release.

There are loads of great cameras at that price – I’d go for an Olympus XZ-1 cos I like Olympus and they have always given you loads of control of your options, and it’s got a fast lens and a large sensor with fewer megapixels giving much better low light and/or action capability.

ski
    Free Member

Love the Ricoh GRD range, owned the origial Ricoh GR-1 and traded it for the first digital version, the GR-D. The standard wide angle lens is a real jem.

At work we use Ricoh GX-100’s which is the zoom version, small enought to pocket and offers raw file messing if you are into that sort of thing.

Quality is good enough for our work publications.

singletracksurfer

what about the Pentax Optio WG camera?

I’m only asking because I’m interested in getting one 😉
    What do people think of it?

Milkie
    Free Member

Canon S95 or the new S100. Canon G series is also worth a look, manual is a lot easier than an S95/S100.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Leftfield choice – pentax MEsuper, but it’s not digital, but it does let you play arround with the depth of field much more than a digital camera, i’d forgotten how far down you have to stop the lense to get anything but the subject in focus!

But any compact will let you do the focusing/metering with half a shutter press, then take the picture instantly. Certainly a lot quicker than I could do it manualy. I only use the manual modes on my camera for specific stuff, and it still usualy takes 2 or 3 shots to get the result i was looking for.

mintimperial

Another vote for the Canon S95 here, it’s cracking. I have an S90 and it’s ace – I’ve had a play with the S95 and it’s just as good, but with better video.

chiefgrooveguru

I have an Olympus XZ-1 and it takes great photos – really nice lens and sensor. Everything looks more real than with my previous camera, a Fujifilm S9500. It tends towards longer exposures on automatic (keeps the ISO very low) so you have to work a bit harder with manual stuff to get sports photography happening but when you get that right it performs. Nice HD video too.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What small, decent (manual?) camera?’ is closed to new replies.