Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What small chainsaw for fire wood
  • Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Looking for a chainsaw for cutting up firewood. I don’t have an external power supply so it would need to be petrol or maybe (rechargeable) battery operated. Any recommendations?

jimjam
    Free Member

I can recommend the Husqvarna 436 Li if you go battery. Feel free to pick my brain.

benji
    Free Member

36″ bow saw, get some exercise, get warm and stop making so much dam noise.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’ve got a Stihl MS171 – Seems to fit the brief well and has been a good reliable machine so far.

z1ppy

I have a Stihl MS171 it’s reportedly the most dangerous type of chainsaw, due to it’s small size, as you can wave it about with one hand 😯
    Though years old and still going strong

timbur
    Free Member

A chainsaws not dangerous. The person on the trigger is!
    Same as a car :O)

djflexure

Got an MS181 here which is fine with a small (12″) bar.

CountZero

Bow saw for cutting down the logs, axe or maul for splitting them. Quiet excercise, think of it as good upper-body development. 😉

thecaptain
    Free Member

Small stihl sounds fine but if there is any chance of more general use a larger one might be worth considering. I just spent a few mins on the beach cutting up driftwood (carefully, with a helper to check for walkers and dogs etc). Plus as I’ve mentioned before, friends with trees to deal with… I’ve got a larger stihl with 16″ bar (I think) and don’t regret it.

drlex
    Free Member

And since no-one has mentioned it so far, please get PPE with the ‘saw and wear it, else I’ll post a link to the bumper book of chain saw injuries.

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve got a 14″ Ryobi, which cost very small money. Serious chinsawists will scoff but it works fine for the occsaional tree or branch. It wouldn’t withstand professional use.

timber

Basic Stihl or Husqvarna, don’t go for big bar options, they only stress the saw. 13 or 15 inch bar will be fine for most things (we use 15″ bars felling 70 foot conifer).
    Relevant file kit and some wise words.

andymac
    Free Member

Make sure you use gloves with a bow saw. I didn’t and partially severed a tendon!

joat

I echo what timber says. Normally run 13″ at work, so can cut up to 2′ trunk fairly easily. Any bigger than this and you ought to be getting some training (if not before).

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Make sure you use gloves with a bow saw. I didn’t and partially severed a tendon!

I’d recommend a full suit of armour with a bow saw. I came pretty close to losing a finger with one.

jimjam
    Free Member

I’ve got a 13″ bar and I don’t think I’ve got the skill for a job that would require anything bigger. Smaller is more maneuverable and makes the saw easier to transport too which was a consideration for me since I use the saw for trail building/clearing where I don’t want to attract attention.

sierrakilo
    Free Member

Stihl 181 with 14 inch bar…… Log splitting Maul ………plenty of windblown Oaks during the last year = Almost Free heating for next 2 winters ….. Result !

granny_ring

I’ve got the same as what he said. ^
    Apart from the vast supply of oak….. 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What small chainsaw for fire wood’ is closed to new replies.