Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What size is your Superfly?
  • Gutterball
    Free Member

After lots of research and a wee test, I’m about to pull the trigger on a Trek Superfly 9.8 X1. Evans got a 19.5 in for me and I had a test ride on Sunday. However, it felt a bit big – I’m putting this down to having not ridden a mountain bike for a year, and indeed ridden a road bike to the shop.

I’d be keen to be reassured or advised by any other Superfly owners – how tall are you and what size do you ride? It does seem VERY long, compared to similar bikes.

I’m 6′ tall, with a relatively stumpy 32″ inseam.

njee20
    Free Member

I’m 5’10” and ride an 18.5″ with a 90mm stem. Find it really comfy. The 17.5″ felt too short to me.

J-R

I am 6′ and ride a 19.5″Superfly. It feels perfect for me and I find a size smaller just a little cramped – although no problems for leg length with a well adjusted seat hight.

julzm
    Free Member

I’m 5’8″ and ride the 2014 18.5″ virtual which is apparently a 17.5″ actual frame size. It feels spot on to me.

Mine is a 9.7. Really wanted a 9.8 but didn’t think I could justify the extra £800 at the time.

Waderider
    Free Member

Not quite the same bike, but I just got a 18.5 Superfly FS9. At 5’10” and 32″ inside leg, I reckon it is a good fit.

pinkwafer

I’ve just bought a FS 9 in 19.5. 6′ 1/2″ with 33″ inseam.

heavy_rat
    Free Member

6′ 1″.
    34″ leg
    19.5 Superfly
    Perfect fit

guystabler
    Free Member

5′ 8” here with a 17.5″ frame. Fits well. Stand over was the limiting factor for me.

Rather than buy a stock 9.8 have you looked at project one custom builds? I found they were better value for what I wanted. Assuming you stick with one of the standard paint jobs that is.

njee20
    Free Member

You can only do the Superfly SL on Project One, so the starting price is much higher. Frame’s a lot lighter though. My ‘normal’ frame was 1300g.

guystabler
    Free Member

Ah yes, thought the OP was going for a 9.8sl.

I weighed my frame before being built up and it came out at 1kg pretty much spot on. So not a huge amount of weight difference as your us a size up too.

Gutterball
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it’ll be close enough. Good on Trek for putting out such a range of sizes.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at these, but more likely the alloy versions (both hardtail and FS).

The FS is reported to be flexy? True or just the media finding something to say?

Would you buy another given the choice between this and any other similar bike?

njee20
    Free Member

I weighed my frame before being built up and it came out at 1kg pretty much spot on. So not a huge amount of weight difference as your us a size up too.

The SL is meant to be <900g, although I know P1 ones are often heavier because of the paint.

guystabler
    Free Member

Mine was a ‘standard’ project one paint jobs, not one of the fully customised ones. The only way they are going to be less than 900g is one of the vapour coated frames in a very small size.

njee20
    Free Member

They were meant to be <900g in Stock 9.9 guise, which is painted. Slightly dodgy ground if you have to get a P1 one to get the advertised weight. One assumes it’s only the U5 Vapor Coat at that too.

iain65
    Free Member

Just ordered a 9.9SL of Project 1, spent a lot of time stressing over size and went for 21” in the end. I’m 6,1+1/2 and felt the 19” was a bit tight for me. I tried the 21 in 9.8SL version and really liked the extra top tube length.

Be aware that the frames measure up an inch below stated size, ie the 21 inch measures in at a 20inch frame size so the 19” will be actual size of 18” which makes a difference if you are between sizes like me.

Delivery date of 2nd April – quite looking forward to it 🙂

Good luck with yours, lovely bikes.

jumble
    Free Member

5’11” 32 inch in seam. Superfly 18.5 with 90mm stem.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What size is your Superfly?’ is closed to new replies.