Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What size Inbred?
  • GiantJaunt
    Free Member

There’s a lot of useful info on the ‘On One’ web site but I’m just wondering what you lot think as I’m a bit of an odd size. I’m about 6′ 3″ with inside leg of about 35″ and long arms too.

My current Hardtail is a 19″ Schwinn which I find both too low and too short with a standard seat tube. Effective top tube (horizontal) length is 56 cm.

The 18″ Inbred top tube is 60cm and the 20″ is 61 cm which is a whole 5cm longer than on my Schwinn. The dilemma I have is I don’t want to end up with a bike that’s too big and stretched out (XL/20″) or one that’s too low (L/18″). So it’s either the 18″ with a longer stem and seatpost or the 20″ with a shorter stem. I’m leaning towards the XL but think the L might be more fun.

Sorry if all those stats are confusing! Are there any tall gangly Inbred owners out there and what size did you go for?

Thanks.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

i am not tall or gangly but at 5’10” with a meagre 30″ inseam i have both a 16 and 18 inbred. I would imagine that you would find the 18 too small.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Thanks that’s useful to know.

Picto
    Free Member

5’10” with 32″ inside leg. Ride an 18″ inbred. Tend to agree with the above, 18″ would probably be too small for you.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

OK thanks. So what do you think to the bike? Is it slack enough for black routes and other steep moments? I’d mainly use my FS bike for the really rough stuff but would want to take the Inbred sometimes too. I can’t afford a 456 btw.

angryratio
    Free Member

6ft2 with a 18″ bred

I’m a 34″ inside leg.
    To be honest i should probably be riding a 20, but, it feels so nice on the fiddly stuff offroad.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

You’d probably be better off with a 456 – a touch burlier and more able to run longer forks, but there’s a recent post on On One’s facebook page of some guys who did the Gravity Enduro DH at Ae a few weekends back… on Inbreds. 😯 Could you go frame / fork only and build one up from bits on here maybe to keep the price down? The new frames are exactly the same price (£169 for the 456 or Inbred).

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

gonetothehills – Member

Yeah I’m tempted to do that as well but was thinking I can get a whole Inbred bike on the cycle to work scheme with really nice spec. It’s a tricky one. I was thinking the Inbred might give me a nicer hardtail experience and I can use my big bike for big mountain days. If I built up a 456 with random bits I might end up spending loads anyway and end up having a heavier bike although I do have some spare forks. Hmmm decisions decisions. I’ll check out their facebook page, sounds like a laugh!

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Im roughly your height and rode a inbred and 456 for years, but never felt totally happy, perched up high with the saddle up. last year changed to a 29er and the difference is amazing, finally a bike that is in proportion and fits. 29ers might be the flavour of the month on STW, but for me been tall they suit just right.

jonb
    Free Member

Another 5’10 with an 18″ I think a 20″ would be better for you. The extra cm won’t make a huge difference in the TT and they are supposed to be run with short stems. IF you go for the 18″ I think you’ll struggle to get a long enough seat post.

What’s your current stem length? Most people seem to run 70mm or less on a 456/inbred

coffeencake
    Free Member

rustler
    Free Member

Try a 29er if you can. I’m only 5’9″, but my 18″ fits perfectly. Never felt at totally at home on my 16″ 26er Inbred. Someone coined the phrase sitting in, not on a 29er.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

OK cheers. I like a short stem anyway and there’s a 60mm option if I go for the full bike. Still not sure though as everyone say’s I should go for the 456! I wish I knew the head angle of my Schwinn though then I’d have something to compare it too. The Inbred looks slacker in the pics and if it is I reckon I’d be happy with that.

pickle
    Free Member

I’m 6’2″ with an inside leg of about 33 and i ride an 18″ inbred. seems just right for me.

The inbred is only designed for 100mm up front so go for the 456 if you have longer forks.

duckman

6″2″ 34 inside leg,long arms. 20″ inbred Or 21 in a 29er (my current on-one)

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

The inbred is only designed for 100mm up front so go for the 456 if you have longer forks.

The second generation Inbred can take up to 120mm forks.

duckman – Member

That’s about the same as me. Does the 20″ feel like a good fit?

duckman

Trust me on this one,I have owned an 18 as well, too wee.Go for 20″ IIRC it actually sizes up a wee bit smaller than the website suggests

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

OK cheers. I’d probably put my 120mm forks on it. Any idea what the head angle is with 120mm forks?

coffeencake
    Free Member

Gangly inbred owner… 6’3″ and a bit, 34″ and a bit trews. If you want it for steep fun-ness get an 18″. Used a 20″ normal inbred (not 456) for the last four years on mostly lakes trails. It’s fun and great for long days out. But on steep stuff it’s not quite right. With shortish forks (uturns at 110) the angles are a bit steep and with longish forks (uturns at 140) the bottom bracket is high. Now using an 18″ ragley … requires a bit more post but goes up fine and is considerably more fun on the downs. Hope that helps.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

6’3″ and a bit & 34″ inside leg here also.

I’ve been running an 18″ Inbred over the last year. with the log TT and riser bars with a long seatpost it’s fine for me. All day rides do hurt a little, but I’ve got no complaints

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I think I’ll go for the complete Inbred then I can get a 456 frame in the future if I feel the need for the extra slackness. They’re doing an Inbred frame with interchangeable dropouts soon so I think I’ll wait for that.

emac65
    Free Member

Lanky 6’1″ & a 20″ Inbred fits me just right,has 115mm Reba’s & they are mighty fine on it too….

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What size Inbred?’ is closed to new replies.