Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • What size frame do I need? Caution: Road bike content.
  • bradley
    Free Member

I want to purchase a road bike, it’s going to be second hand off fleabay probably so I need to know what sort of size I need. My MTB frame is 17.5, anyone have any idea what road-bike frame would be?

Thanks in advance..

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

54cm or 56cm probably depending on arm/leg length and top tube length required.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I’d say 54.

TiRed

What’s your height and inside leg? Assuming you are about 5’6″ to 5’9 and a 28-30″ inside leg, you’ll be looking for a 54cm frame (sometimes referred to as a “Medium”). Any taller and you’ll need a 56cm.

bradley
    Free Member

Cool, I thought so. I just want the option to ride from my door with a bike instead of having to travel 45 mins every time to the Chilterns for some good riding. Thanks.

Gribs

It depends on the geo but I’d guess at about 52cm with a sloping top tube or 54cm with a horizontal one. I’ll base this on your mtb being a medium. Top tube length seems to me the only thing that really matters on a road bike as standover isn’t an issue at all.

jwmlee
    Free Member

Estimated frame calculator here. A number of others on the web.

Probably not helpful but recommend at least sitting on the bike on a turbo trainer or better still ride the bike.

Ideally you want a bike fit as it’s more critical to have the correct size in a road bike due to longer periods spent in a single seated position.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘What size frame do I need? Caution: Road bike content.’ is closed to new replies.