Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • what size cyclocross bike do you ride
  • mav12
    Free Member

one for the tallguys what size bike do you ride and whats your inseam and how tall are you

im 6 ft 4 35/36 inseam about to buy a frame just looking for pointers

i wont be racing

matthew_h
    Free Member

6’4″, not sure on inseam but go to be around the 35″ or so mark.

I ride a 60cm Genesis Vapour

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

6’2″ 34 inside leg. 58cm (XL) Scott Addict CX

STATO
    Free Member

6’4″ Ride a 60cm Surly CrossCheck. Which has a 60cm TopTube

Worth noting not all bikes are same length for a specified ‘size’, my 60cm TIME road bike has a 57cm T-T, so i need to run a gigantic stem on it :0)

EDIT;

i wont be racing

Whimp!

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

1.97m (about 6’5″ish) and I ride a 62cm Kona Jake the Snake. Seems to fit nicely. It looks massive compared to everyone else’s bikes when I go racing though (as do I).

Plenty of people I know ride cross bikes that are a touch smaller than their road frames as they like the cross bike to be a bit more ‘chuckable’.

mav12
    Free Member

EDIT;

i wont be racing

Whimp!

well maybe if i can find a over 50s class

STATO
    Free Member

I race in the NECCL (north east TLI league) and they have three classes, ‘elite’, ‘intermediate’ and ‘sportif’. They put you in category’s based on a magic forumla and a bit of guesswork, so much so that ive been fighting it out for a top 3 position in the ‘sportif’ category, great fun and means i actually attempt to race rather than give up as soon as the whippets fire off the front or lap you!

You dont need to be any good to race, just get out there!

traildog
    Free Member

I am sure your local league will have a V50s class. I race with plenty of over 50s in our league. You really should be racing, it’s good fun, sociable and the point of a cross bike. Doing otherwise is like getting a mountain bike and only riding fireroads on it.

naedeyw
    Free Member

I ride a 57cm road bike and a 54cm cross bike but for me the cross bike is an off road bike, like sponging-machine says, more ‘chuckable’. I’m a short guy on this thread though at only 6ft.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

6’2″ 35″ inside leg and ride a 63cm crosser with a 57cm toptube

You would probably want something similar

cynic-al
    Free Member

jeez as if racing is the be and end all of arms bike ownership!

clubber
    Free Member

I’m 6’5″ 35″ inside leg and find my 60cm Dolan spot on with a 100mm stem

For reference, I ride a 62cm Bianchi road bike which is about 1cm longer in the top tube but has a 4cm longer stem – it is a very long position though but that suits me better for road riding.

And FWIW, racing is just a tiny subset of what CX bikes are great for. They turn rides that would be too tame on an mtb into really good fun.

rossrobot
    Free Member

I’m 6’4″ and have an XL Focus Mares. Think that might be 60cm.

ackie
    Free Member

For reference I’m 6’1″ 34″ inseam and have a 62cm Pro-lite Piemonte which feels a couple of sizes too big for me.

I also have a brand new Santa Cruz Stigmata 58cm frame which is too long in the toptube for me.
    The toptube measurements are for actual not effective. Which they don’t state there website 😥

Anyway

I’m selling both, so if interested PM me.

qwerty
    Free Member

5’7″ here with a 30″ inside leg = 49cm (53cm ett) 😯

traildog
    Free Member

Of course cross bikes are versatile and great. I use mine for commuting on in winter, doing long rides off road which aren’t appropriate for a mountain bike, such as the canal tow paths.
    But just as mountain bikes are very effective as town bikes or forest tracks, the main fun is riding rough terrain to not do so is to miss out on the most fun. Likewise, to miss out on racing if you have a cross bike is to miss out on a hugely fun aspect of owning such a bike.
    Cross racing is hugely accessible and the point is you don’t have to be fast as it all gets lost in the chaos. We have a lady who is over 60 racing in our team, so being over 50 is really no excuse… 😉

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I’m 6’2″ with a 32″ in-seam and ride a 56cm cross and a 19.5 MTB, I couldn’t imagine riding anything bigger to be honest.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

6’4″ 34″ inside leg. Ride a 62cm Kona Jake. If anything I think it is a gnats too big, so have a shorter stem and the seat quite a bit forward.

Only used for commuting (back lanes, towpath, bridleways, farm tracks and country park) with rack, panniers, mudguards etc., and the odd occasion that I ride on the road.

If I was to do a CX race, I think I’d like the next size down. Could be tempted to sell the frame if you want a big one! I could then get a 60cm.

Will be fitting slicks and stripping it down for a triathlon in the summer 🙂

Drac

6′ 3″ with 32″ inside leg and ride a 58cm Jake the Snake. Nice fit perfect for a mixture of on and off road.

mav12
    Free Member

thanks for the input guys just bought a 62cm have to see what its like when its built

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘what size cyclocross bike do you ride’ is closed to new replies.