Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What size cotic soul
  • GeeWavetree
    Free Member

for someone who is 6ft 1 and 33" inside leg?

are they the be all and end all of 120mm hardtails? Or is the 853 rock lobster worth looking at/same ball park as the soul?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Prepare for a 'wave' of opinion.

I'm 5ft 11", but long in the torso for my height and ride a medium. I was told that I could also ride a large, but there's no way a large would have been right for me as it would simply have been too long in the top tube. Even on the medium I run a 50mm stem and it's about right; the TT could even have been .25" shorter.

I think most people however would agree you need a large and I wouldn't neccessarily disagree with that, but there might be a case for a medium; it would just depend on your style of riding and what you've been riding before. Certainly on a large you'd be wanting to run a max 70mm stem IMO.

As for whether they are the 'be all and end all' I would say no, definitely not. The market for good quality, long travel hardtails is just too rich, colourful and well developed for one bike to claim dominance.

Having said that, they are truly brilliant and handle like an absolute dream. On moderate terrain they carry speed almost as well as a mid travel full suss bike; they're forgiving and have a lovely temperament. They are quite flexy though, certainly for larger, more powerful riders (I'm 110kg) but that doesn't detract too much from their sweetness and finess.

I was going to sell mine having only had a few months, but I've since realised that it is a fabulous machine for the money and while you could spend twice or three times the amount on something exotic, I can't see it adding much value to the experience.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

You need a large. Speak to Cy.

tomlevell

5'10 and ride a small (Simple). A friend who is about the same rides a medium.

Look at what you ride now and does it feel right then compare.

They are nice but then I've not ridden the recent competition but then I have no need to.

tragically1969
    Free Member

5'10" and a medium here, i had a panic after i had got it and thought i should have had a large, spoke to Cy who told me not to panic, ride it and you will change your mind. He was right, i did, its spot on.

Thats with a 90mm and inline seatpost stem by the way.

househusband

I'd say large – I'm 6'2".

(And RL's are very short frames, btw.)

theboatman
    Free Member

5'9" and a bit, and riding a medium.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

hmm will keep an eye out for a 2nd hand large i think 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

i'm 6'2" – 36" inside leg.

i ride a large Cotic, with a long seatpost, it's just right – i wouldn't change a thing.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

6'2" and have a medium bfe. Have to run alot of seatpost for xc stuff so I d say if your going to be using yours for just xc then go for a large

richcc
    Free Member

I'm 5'10" with 31" inside leg and ride a medium. I bought mine based on a review without riding it but have been really pleased with it, don't feel the urge to change and if I broke it would probably buy another. Having said that there are a lot of frames out there and it would be worth looking around and canvassing opinion before you buy

skiprat
    Free Member

Very similar to you, 6ft 1 1/2" and 33" inside leg. I was in the same position as you. I got hold of a medium and it was ok but i just didn't have the room to move about on it. Spoke to Paul at Cotic and he said go large. Ordered one of the new ones and have to say its great. It fits well, climbs great and does go downhill well too. I run a 90mm stem and inline post.

All in its a cracking bike. Some will say that they don't do this and you can't do that on it, but i have to say that i can do all i want on it and i'm no where near the limit of the bike.

younggeoff

6ft 1" and run a large, just swapped stem from 90mm to 70mm and noticed a big difference it just feels so much more nimble.

epicsteve
    Free Member

5'9" and a bit, and riding a medium.

Same here and it's perfect for me. I'm not especially long of leg and mine has a fair bit of seatpost showing, so I'd have thought that for general riding a 6'1" rider is going to be on a large.

Any excuse to post a pic of my lovely bike…:

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What size cotic soul’ is closed to new replies.