Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What singlespeed race frame?
  • sl2000

I'm building myself a lightweight single speed and having problems finding a frame.

I was going to buy a Scandal, but they seem to be no more in slot dropout guise.

I can't find anything else to even consider.

I don't really want to use a tensioner, and I'm not sure if the forward components or trickstuff EBBs work OK.

Anyone have any suggestions please?

njee20
    Free Member

Have you maybe thought that it's because race bikes are designed with gears in mind!?

What about the Salsa one, is it a Mamasita or something?

tinsy
    Free Member

How weird is that last year I bought a 2nd hand one as I wanted std dropouts and they only had slots!! If you not in a rush give it time maye the slots will come back, perhaps ask them at On One…

sl2000

@njee20 I'm not aiming to be up with the likes of you, but I fancied something a but lighter than my trail bike for the occasional race I do enter. And thanks for the Salsa tip. I've added a 'Juan Solo' to the 2nd hand frames I should look out for but Salsa don't seem to be making a current light regular-wheeled SS.

@tinsy On-One say they'll have a Carbon frame in come March/April. I wasn't in a rush, so I'll wait for that if I have too.

wwaswas

Sideways are selling this, it looks raceable.

julianwilson
    Free Member

gary fisher superfly, but not suure if they are importing them over here at the mo.

njee20
    Free Member

for but Salsa don't seem to be making a current light regular-wheeled SS.

Aah yes, I was thinking of a clown-bike come to think of it!

On-One Carbon hardtail looks pretty spot on frankly.

mtbfix

Endorfin Singlespeeder SL if you have £799 burning a hole in your pocket. That bit different and colour options.

s8tannorm
    Free Member

My Carver SS weighs nowt … depends if the whole 69er thing suits.

Black
    Free Member

Ibis Tranny

White 19 Ti/carbon

cynic-al
    Free Member

Custom steel is the only way.

JoB
    Free Member

i've been racing decidedly un-custom Kona Explosif and Unit 2-9 slidey-dropout frames for, oooh, a while now, not overly light in the scheme of things, but not heavy neither

i have also used them for 'Just Riding Around A Bit' as well, so they're quite versatile beasts

phildowling
    Free Member

Rather pleased with my Niner one 9 🙂 No lighter frame available at the moment, although i think their Carbon thingy beats it now.

EBB though but the best i've tried no slip yet 🙂

JamesP
    Free Member

+1 for the Niner clown bike. Rode one in the US this year and it was awesome. Better with the Niner carbon rigid fork though.

Heavier but in 26" Dialled Love/Hate?

sl2000

Thanks all! Plenty of fine suggestions.

Some of the prices seem a bit steep – a Kona Explosif is £550! I'd hope to get something considerably more flash for that price.

So far the Endorfin Singlespeeder looks best but at £800 it's stretching my budget.

I've no objections to a proper EBB – I'd maybe prefer one over slot or sliding dropouts. I've never used slot and had difficulty with the sliding on a Kona.

If anyone has any more (26" wheel) suggestions please keep them coming.

sl2000

Heavier but in 26" Dialled Love/Hate?

This is my main bike, and I'm happy with it, but it's built up heavily and I'd like a lighter option.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What singlespeed race frame?’ is closed to new replies.