Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What simple GPS?
  • duckman

I am doing my ML in July.I really need to work on my micro navigation.All I need is a GPS that will give me my grid ref.That way I will be able to check pacings/timings etc.Any suggestions or recomendations?

stevomcd
    Free Member

Basic Garmin eTrex will do just fine. Although you can do your checks just by reading some distances off the map (e.g. count paces over a full km), you don't really need a GPS.

Did my ML fairly recently too, I'd suggest practising by navigating to small terrain features and evaluating your pacing/timing based on that. Much more like what you'll be assessed on.

It all goes out the window when you're wandering around the Cairngorm plateau in the dark in 2ft of snow anyway… bringing back memories of my assessment there!

EDIT: It's worth paying a wee bit extra for one with an electronic compass. This makes it much easier to follow the GPS to a pre-programmed destination. Obviously, this is a no-no at ML, but if you go on to the higher qualifications, you can/do use a GPS like this.

cp

you allowed to use GPS on ML???! blimey

stevomcd
    Free Member

you allowed to use GPS on ML???! blimey

Definitely not! Useful for practising with though. During our night-nav, the assessor ran a GPS the whole time and showed us the plot when he gave us our feedback.

cudubh

Toying with getting a Garmin Edge 500. Does anybody have any experience of these?
    Just noticed the Edge 500 specific thread!

glenncampbell

Hi Duckman,

I am trying out the memory map adventurer 2800 which arrives tomorrow (YAY!) from tredz for only £199 so worth a look with OS maps! If you want my etrex vista which does all that you need in great working order for £30 posted please let me know!

duckman

What exact model of vista is it/Just so I can check it out.Thanks

glenncampbell

Hi Duckman,

It's a Garmin etrex Legend – monochrome screen; blue casing – link to look at here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-eTrex-Legend-GPS/dp/B0000C4G4Q Garmin don't make it anymore – I bought it 5 years ago when I started my ML too as a map backup on gps position, distance travelled from base point, electronic compass etc. I ended up doing loads more MTB and scuba diving so never really used it and never completed the ML either :-(. I was going to ebay it tomorrow so first dibs to you. I never loaded maps to it (total faff and expensive) so a good check on where you are and travel data but not too much else to be honest!

flatfish
    Free Member

try looking at the geko 201

stevomcd
    Free Member

glenncampbell:

If you haven't already sold your GPS, I'll have it!

househusband
    Free Member

May I suggest the eTrex H; very accurate – and very sturdy. Only £68.40 at Amazon at the moment.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

u need dps not gps ;p

el_boufador

I have a gecko 301 – it's great. Nice and small – unobtrusive on the bars. Altimeter is very useful. You can get them for ~ 50 quid on ebay (last time I looked)

glenncampbell

Stevomcd – Unless Duckman says otherwise (first dibs are his!) GPS is yours – done!!! will mail in profile.

Duckman – if you're still looking I'd suggest you look at the MM GPS. I took the adventurer 2800 out today and it's great. Mine cost £199 from http://www.tredz.co.uk and with the PC software and pre-loaded maps of most UK national parks it's a great, cost effective solution when compared to the Garmin edge GPS's. Not as technically accomplished but good all the same and really worth a look.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What simple GPS?’ is closed to new replies.