Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What should I put on my DSLR shopping list?
  • sharkattack

There’s been a few photography threads on here recently and there seems to be no end to the knowledge and experience on offer so I thought I’d post my own questions.

I bought a Canon 300D when it was the first DSLR under a grand. It was a revelation at the time and I got a lot of use out of it. I even managed to cover the cost of all my kit with the occasional magazine feature. I’ve not bothered with it for years and having brought it out of retirement, its limitations compared to modern stuff is depressingly obvious. Having just sold my car I really fancy investing in some new gear starting with a body.

So I already have a grasp of practical knowledge but I have never paid any attention to gadgets and hardware and I’m baffled.

I already have a Canon 17-55 f2.8 USM, a Canon 70-200 f4.0 USM and a 430ex flash (that I never learned to use properly) and a couple of decent tripods.

Is the Canon 7D still the boss of its category? It’s been out ages but there doesn’t seem to be a replacement on the horizon. I don’t want to spend much more than a grand on a body but it MUST be a Canon. I have a feeling it will be more than enough to get me back into the swing of things. I really like the look of the 5D mk3 but I’ll see if I can make a 7D can pay for itself first!

What do I need to use off-camera flashes? It’s something I never got around to experimenting with and I have no idea what hardware is involved. I gather that it’s easier and cheaper than it used to be with the 7D having some kind of built in transmitter but how does it work?

I need some lenses to fill the gaps in my range. Open to suggestions of peoples favourites.

I need a backpack. I like the F-stop stuff because it’s like a ‘proper’ backpack that you can ride and hike with unlike Lowepro I have. They are top dollar and I can’t find anywhere to get a look at one first. Can anyone recommend anything good?

I’m open to suggestions for toys really. Are there any cool gadgets I should be aware of? I really want to get into the video side of things but that’s totally new to me. There’s loads of cool looking rigs and microphones etc.. available but not really sure where to start with it.

Lets pretend I’m going to spend all the money I got for my car on camera gear (I’m actually not!!) and I’ll whittle it down from there so that’s a £4000 starting point.

Wow that’s quite an outburst I just had. Any suggestions appreciated as always!

molgrips
    Free Member

a 430ex flash (that I never learned to use properly)

You should learn to use the kit you have before shopping for more shiny stuff…..

As for boss – well depends on what you want, doesn’t it?

You can spend £2k on a body and kit lens, a cheaper body and a whole slew of different creative lens options, or a mid range body and a really nice fast telephoto for wildlife, for instance.

If your answer is ‘dunno, I just take pics of my mates on bikes’ then get an Olympus TG-1 and a new bike.

davidjones15
    Free Member

5d.

McHamish
    Free Member

I’ve got a 7d, I wish I’d bought the 5d.

sharkattack

I never really learned to use the 430 flash because I never needed it. I did mostly motorsports stuff like rallying and motocross and the flash wasn’t useful but the IS lenses were brilliant.

I’m not just looking to throw a lot of money at “shiny stuff” I’ve got a very clear idea of what I want it for. Just fishing for suggestions since I don’t keep up to date with all the toys

sharkattack

I’ve got a 7d, I wish I’d bought the 5d.

Mind if I ask why?

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Without sounding harsh learn to use what you already have and then you might know what else you need or what camera you want next

The 7D has just had a big firmware update which added some handy new features.

What gap do you think you have in your lenses?

All I can see is possibly a wide angle plus the 17-55mm is an EF-S lens and won’t work with a 5D

vinnyeh

I’m not just looking to throw a lot of money at “shiny stuff” I’ve got a very clear idea of what I want it for.

Which is what? More mx? Landscapes? Naked women?
    Not much use suggesting a nice macro if you’re going to be shooting circuit racing. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve got a very clear idea of what I want it for.

Can you tell us a bit more about what it is that you want to do?

Although a 5D would be ‘top of the range’ so to speak, there’s no way I’d get one. Far too heavy to use and carry, for me. So it’s not simply a case of something being the best.

sharkattack

Without sounding harsh learn to use what you already have and then you might know what else you need or what camera you want next

People are getting the wrong idea from my flash comment, I just never really needed to use a flash!
    I know how to use a camera, it’s something I’ve been paid for in the past and would like to start building an up to date portfolio.

I posted this purely to get a peak inside peoples stash and see what kind of stuff they’re using and why.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well, I don’t use Canon, so I can’t be specific. But basically I just went for as many different kinds of lenses as I could find to give me as many creative options as possible.

Great fun, it is 🙂

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

The list of what you could buy is almost endless

Do you want crop or full frame is the first question, no point me suggesting a wide angle 10-22mm if you want FF

Also need software, something like LR4 if you shoot RAW

What do you call a decent Tripod, might want to spend out on a nice CF model with a decent head.

More detail needed before further suggestions can be made especially re the subject matter

Cougar

I need some lenses to fill the gaps in my range. Open to suggestions of peoples favourites.

Nifty fifty should be in there, for certain.

Macro lens? Circular polariser? Remote shutter release? An ND filter or two? A Pod? A good book?

molgrips
    Free Member

If I had that kind of wonga and wanted to do motorsport photography I’d be investigating gimball heads.

And I wouldn’t get FF either since you’d lose out on telephoto reach, wouldn’t you?

dropoff

Yeah uh so what was the question again ?

sharkattack

Yeah uh so what was the question again ?

Basically I put way too many words in my original post. I think I gave Mr. Grips the impression that I am a clueless amateur with money to burn and he wants to educate me.

I really only ‘need’ a body and a backpack. No way am I going to spend all of my “wonga”

I just wanted you to show me your toys!

Still sold on a 7D so far so no full frame for me. Had a look at a mates 5D and 7D side by side and there’s a noticeable difference in heft, no so much in quality.

I’ve heard good things about those 50mm f1.8 lenses and for the price it would be rude not to have one. ND grad filters are on the list as well.

molgrips
    Free Member

In that case, what you want is a Lowepro Photo sport 200.

I do.

Also if I had the money I’d bid on this, and if I had even more I’d pick up one of these.

Although if I won the lottery it’d be this. Sorry – got carried away a smidge there.

sharkattack

Thanks for that I just checked the Lowepro website. Blimey they’ve really started making an effort! Worlds away from when I last checked.

jad
    Free Member

Had a look at a mates 5D and 7D side by side and there’s a noticeable difference in heft, no so much in quality.

I’ve just sold my ef-s lenses and 7d body and bought a 5d. That statement would be other way round for me. The 5d is heavier but not by much and almost identical in size. Image quality is better no doubt but the huge plus is the low noise at high ISO. There’s no doubt about it that the 5d is a better camera in almost very respect but it is much more expensive!

dropoff

Ok so after the clarification here’s my 2 pennys worth. Forget the 5 and 7d’s and put your money into a 1d. A grand (cost of a 7d) will get you a perfect low shutter count 1dmk3 and that will walk all over both of the above bodies in terms of focusing, image quality, handling and reliability. This will leave you with a fat wad to purchase some really nice glass to compliment your new body.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Had a look at a mates 5D and 7D side by side and there’s a noticeable difference in heft

I have both (7D and 5D MKII) and have to disagree with you on that statement, hardly any difference in size and weight Size Comparison Website

butcher

Isn’t there a 6d out now too?

It does sounds to be more than what you need though. How about something like the 60d, where you have a much nicer layout than the 300d, and video, high ISO, etc. Massive improvement on what you’ve got, but doesn’t break the bank.

The modern equivalent of your 300d would be the 600d, but you have to remember too the technology has came along a fair way since the 300d, so even that would be a nice improvement. I much prefer the controls on the XXd series cameras and above though – they step out of the point and shoot market and into a market that wants a useable camera, in my opinion.

dan74
    Free Member

If you want a crop sensor body i’d only go for the 7D if your shooting fast moving objects and need a quick burst (Motor sport, Birds in flight)
    It’s af is very good at tracking
    A 60d will give you just as good results iq wise as the 7d and i found the 60d to be less noisy at high iso than the 7D (i’ve owned both)and it’s a lot lighter
    I now own the nikon D7000 and i personally prefer it to the Canons as you get a better af than the 60d and better iq than either of them 8)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What should I put on my DSLR shopping list?’ is closed to new replies.