Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What should I be looking for when buying a 2nd hand full-susser?
  • thered

An Ibis Mojo as it happens with DT Swiss forks

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

cracks

snowpaul
    Free Member

hi there,

I would do the basic checks – seatpost moves up / down ok – check for play in headset and that the gears work ok and if you can get a chain checker tool to see how worn the chain is… spin wheels and check disc rotors for any rub / check pads and tyres

Then waggle wheels to see if theres any play in bearings / any play may be the wheel or the shock bush / linkages – test for that by taking wheels out and then move the linkages etc – you will be able to feel if the pivots are tight / worn..

check the shocks work and no obvious damage or movement – inquire into service history – re forks ask when last serviced / any receipts etc – maybe budget for a service or replace the odd part… see if the shock and fork accept air ok…

do visual checks on the frame for any damage / cracks – pay attention to headtube area – see if any bad chainsuck – check dearaileur hanger and the condition of the jockey wheels = gives a good idea of wear – make sure pedals arent wrecked… go with your gut feeling re sale

cheers

paul

justy
    Free Member

wheels

mooman
    Free Member

2nd hand FS with DT Swiss forks?

Best keep an eye out for new forks and new rear shock service in the very near future..

DT78
    Free Member

Do you know the rider/ how well they treat their kit/ miles they do? Definitely budget for shock and fork services if not done in the last 12-18 months. Check chain wear, could need new drive. Check all bearings, shock mounts. Look for cracks.

deus

Don’t believe the bearings and shock in very good condition claims on ebay, mostly it’s lies IME….

Northwind

I always budget for bearings tbh- though I’ve bought I think 5 used full sussers and only one needed new bearings immediately, it’s good to anticipate it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What should I be looking for when buying a 2nd hand full-susser?’ is closed to new replies.