Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • What short travel XC bike…?
  • ssmith1979
    Free Member

Wife is a racer type. Does a fair amount of off-road triathlon, x-terra etc.

Obvious choice is Scott Spark, but want to make sure we are not missing anything.

Anyone got anything they would recommend? Or even better seen a super bargain somewhere?

Ideally carbon (but not essential) and definitely 29″…

Thanks in advance!

SirHC

Specialized Epic, Trek Top Fuel, Giant Anthem

bigbloke
    Free Member

Full suss? Or Hardtail?

New Anthem 29 looks a good bet. Orbea Oiz also good bet (owner here), Orbea have an outlet on they’re site selling off 2017 stock.

slugrider
    Free Member

Devinci Atlas Carbon

slugrider
    Free Member

I happen to have one for sale in medium.

Best bike be ever ridden, only selling as I now have another one!

ssmith1979
    Free Member

Sorry should have made it clear full sus.

@Slug – linky?

Like the idea of Orbea – will take a look.

Slightly bargain led so deals will be attractive…

steve_b77
    Free Member

KTM Scarp in spec level of her choice

teamslug
    Free Member

Cannondale Scalpel. I have one but my next will be a Orbea Oiz, I have an occam at the mo.

jdavidge
    Free Member

Canyon Lux seems decent value

tomhoward

Pivot Mach 429SL

everyone
    Free Member

Another vote for the Orbea oiz. Looks amazing and is fast as owt.

Did I mention that it looks amazing?

richardk
    Free Member

Another vote for the Oiz here

Kryton57

Anyone got anything they would recommend?

Scott Spark :D. It is as very awesome at the single track review states. 15% off at Pedalon at the moment.

kallie
    Free Member
    singletrackmind

Rocky Mountain Element
    Whatever you buy , get lightweight tubelss wheels and sell the stock ones as brand new.
    Especialy if your young lady is sub 70kg.
    I think with 29ers the wheel upgrade has more impact than anything else
    Set of Rocket Rons or Ralphs and your all good

jonnyrockymountain

Really loving my Top of range carbon superfly 9.9, got it at 22lbs, with XX1, am Classic race wheels, and carbon bars/post/stem, and I like it better than my 2 previous 100mm travel XC bikes turner czar and salsa spearfish, although they were still very nice

slugrider
    Free Member

Kryton57

Is that a USWE pack I see JRM? How do you rate it?

padkinson
    Free Member

Well in keeping with the theme of recommending what you’ve got, get a Trek Top Fuel! I had a Rocky Mountain Element last year and that was also brilliant, although the suspension action wasn’t quite as refined.

I’d generally recommend one of the ‘new school’ of XC race bikes, with longer top tubes, slacker angles etc. So Top Fuel, Spark, new Anthem, Pivot, and probably a few more I haven’t mentioned.

jonnyrockymountain

Kryton, best packs ever, the fit is superb, no movement at all, that’s the smaller U3

aidensmith
    Free Member

cp

I’ve got a 2013 Anthem X 29er – love it. So so fast.

chakaping
    Free Member

Kona Hei Hei looks ace, only had a very brief spin on one myself tho

ssmith1979
    Free Member

All really interesting and useful, thank you.

May well end up with a discounted ’16 Spark from Westbrook Cycles – although the Orbea is also a lovely option. Sadly doesn’t seem to be many deals about on anything suitable.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Mtbmonster are doing 10% off 2018 bikes including the Oiz, can choose some spec on it. I used Mtbmonster for my purchase last year and were fantastic to deal with via phone. Discount code is SAVE10 enter it in coupon codes at checkout.

http://www.mtbmonster.com/

dirkdestijl
    Free Member

The new FELT Edict 1 is just sublime in its ride handling and spec – The new Edict platform is certainly worth considering – as a brand its well under the radar in terms of exposure and having test rode many other 2018 short travel XC full sussers this one does it for me. Google for some fine reviews (Bikeradar has one I think). I had a good deal from my LBS on mine and I recall seeing a Bike shop in Glasgow (Cyclelane?)was also doing an attractive discount on the Edict range

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘What short travel XC bike…?’ is closed to new replies.