Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What shoes for flat pedals?
  • cupra
    Free Member

Merrells are not very good, so have been looking at mp66 and am40s, any opinions or other options?
    Cheers.

crazymoon
    Free Member

Five tens. really grippy

cupra
    Free Member

any particular ones? Do you know how they size up? Thanks.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Shimano AM40s here- cheaper, don’t take 6 weeks to dry out after a rainy ride (they’re actually great at keeping the water out), not quite as grippy but certainly grippy enough.

Also, if you’re using them for XC they have a stiffening plate for the sole to help put the power down.

cupra
    Free Member

XC it is yes. Thanks.

crazymoon
    Free Member

i like these

http://fiveten.com/products/footwear-detail/78-ba51c

but have a pair of

http://fiveten.com/products/footwear-detail/40-camp-four

for walking and a bit of winter biking. they are alot mare grippy than any vibram soled shoe. i have a pair of gravis flat shoes that i normally wear on the bile but the soles are too thin really as you can really feel the pedal after pushing hard or after a long day.

Whitish
    Free Member

Whatever trainers are too old to wear otherwise, basically. Currently some Etnies.

cubemeup
    Free Member

5 10’s all the way!!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Am40s all the way

yunki
    Free Member

Whatever trainers are too old to wear otherwise, basically.

I tend towards buying Vans for specifically this reason..

sambob
    Free Member

AM40’s here, pretty warm, the lace cover keeps most of the grit out, and take less time that 5.10’s to dry out. Mine have coped with a year of peak district grit and are still in really good condition.

Northwind

I’ve got a pair of 5 10s, a pair of AM40s, and an old pair of Vans. The 5 10s have the most grip for sure, but all 3 have more than enough, they all do the job

The 5 10s were the most expensive and the worst made- I think winter killed them, the cardboard insole disolved, the inner linings wore out and the sticky outer sole has come loose from the main sole. They were fine while they lasted though poor in wet weather, someone on here calls them the world’s grippiest sponges. Not good value, I’d buy another pair if there wasn’t better out there, but there is.

The AM40s are better in every way bar grip. Better in the wet, better made, choice of stiffener inserts, and more durable. I’ve used mine as much as I’ve used my 5 10s and they’re still going strong, the sole is quite torn up but they’re working fine. Being able to remove the insoles and footbed to dry them out is a real bonus.

Both the 5 10s and AM40s are ugly as sin but the AM40 is less bulky

The Vans are fine, not as good at anything as the others but still good enough. Mine are very flexy, you can feel the pedal through the soles which is good and bad- but stiffer models are available. The problem with Vans and other skate shoes is you don’t know exactly what you’re getting, I’ve got another pair of Vans which are rubbish on the bike.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I asked the same question a while ago. I ended up getting some DC’s from TK maxx. Any skateboarding trainers are supposed to be good for flats and will probably cost you less if you go to the right place.

rewski
    Free Member

AM40s are ugly boxfresh, bit like golf shoes, get them dirty and then they’re well skillz, they have a cool lace cover and padded inner ankle, wore them out today in the snow and kept me snug, super grippy with my easton flatboys.

If there good enough for Danny Mac.

doug_basqueMTB.com

AM40’s. Don’t find much difference in grip between them and my 5:10’s but 5:10’s lasted 6 months whereas AM40’s are still going strong after 12 months. I put a review up on my site if you want to see the details. AM40 End of Season Review

cupra
    Free Member

Thanks all. I see the am40 has now been replaced by the am41 in less gopping colours!

Northwind

Not sure if that’s better or worse tbh. The AM40s do wear in nicely. If you want ugly, try my MP90s.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=22336

Got a cheap pair for winter shoes, one size up from my normal for thick socks… And they’re actually very good, got most of the benefits of the AM40, except for the fact that they’re the worst looking shoes in the world. And also, inevitably, they’re incredibly good at shedding mud so they’ve remained pristine white.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What shoes for flat pedals?’ is closed to new replies.