Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What shock is this..
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

New bike. Float ctd with some kind of expander thingy. The guy did mention it but I wasn’t listening. Just want to get the right manual for it re shock pressures etc.
    https://plus.google.com/114302911298598486324/posts/4h92tZzRppn

wysiwyg
    Free Member

No workeh?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

No, workeh fine I just need to play about with the settings and pressure as its a bit saggy. Need to top up. Forks are about right I think – recommended about 80psi for those, I just need to know pressure/weight setting for the rear. I’d assume it’s a standard psi/weight from a list but just to make sure…

mrjmt
    Free Member

cant you just adjust the air to give you the sag you want?

lawman91

its a Fox CTD shock with the new EVOL air can. I used to run my CTD shock with 170psi, but as the EVOL can requires higher pressure I know run at 220psi. I went from the pressure guides on the 2016 Fox DPS shocks, but it seems to be about 40-50psi than you would normally run.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Yeah I could do that, I’m just like manuals and paperwork. I remember RS instructions suggesting pressures that were way off real world that’s all. Wondered if Fox was similar.

Actually… I could do with a new shock pump. Are the Topeak ones any good?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I meant the link didn’t work.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Looks like they’ve Kashima coated the wrong bit . 🙂

Nobby

Looks like the new Float DPS – if so, the manual is HERE

bramblesummer
    Free Member

That looks very odd indeed…….there’s no kashima coating on the rod at all, and the adjustment lever doesn’t look like a 2015 or 2016 model.

It looks like an older 2013 Fox Float CTD with a new air can from the 2015/2016 Fox Float DPS

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Weird innit. I totally wasn’t listening when he was explaining it. Something about volume and it meant to feel better than the original. I’ve messaged him but he’s a fifo worker and up in the mines for a week.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Perhaps a 2014 ctd with 2015 evol air can?

Seems to do the job anyway even if it is a de-stickered love child of 2 shocks. Hope he gets back to me!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Dbl post

aphex_2k
    Free Member

It does have 3 positions on the blue lever. Fully open, locked, and trail in the middle.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Looks like they’ve Kashima coated the wrong bit .

The whole can get’s coated.

And when you think where the seals are it makes sense to coat the can just as much as the damper body, there’s the wiper seal you can see on the outside, the air seal just inside that (both running on the outside of the damper), then inside you’ve got the shaft of the shock with a seal on it so that has to be kashima’d even if you never see it, then there’s the air can, inside which is the seal that separates the +ve and -ve air chambers.

Same on the forks, the seals on the outside only have to keep oil on one side and air on the other. The seals inside have do deal with 100’s of PSI, so having the internals of the stanchions/cartridges coated is actually more important.

IIRC aftermarket there’s only a couple of quid difference between the coated and non-coated versions so it wouldn’t surprise me if they fitted the upgraded can to an otherwise normal shock.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

It might make a difference on the inside of the air can but the outside could be coated in virtually anything and it wouldn’t make any difference . If it did then Kashima coated forks would have Kashima coated sliders as well as stanchions which they don’t .

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Not even any stickers or Fox code…

Well, it works. It’s set at 20% sag and feels fine, both fully open, middle and locked all feel fine.

Is there a “blow off” on the newer Fox shocks so that if it’s locked and there’s a sudden bump/impact?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Fox float ctd with evol can upgrade according to the chap I bought it off, he’s just got back to me

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What shock is this..’ is closed to new replies.