Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • What running headtorch?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Suggestions at a variety of price points please.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Petzl Myo XP, or for cheap as chips look at Alpkit

iDave
    Free Member

alpkit is great value and performance

hijack – will call you later ‘OP’!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Fennix HP10 for Brightness, alpkit for fantastic value for money.

Stoner
    Free Member

trout mini on a head band?

Ayup with head band?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Yep – Petzl Myo XP – brilliant battery life, bright, bombproof.

roper
    Free Member

Just to add,try to find one which has the options of verticle and horizontal support. With just horizontal support they can work their way down your head with jumps or side steps.
    If you need one really bright don’t worry too much about weight and wear it on a cap. The peak will stop it moving and stop any glare coming down in to your eyes.

BadlyWiredDog

Silva do one with a combination of a remote battery box and a mixed spot and flood beam thanks to a combination of LEDs. A lot cheaper than a bike-specific light on a headband and quite effective. If you have a Joystick or similar already, Exposure do headband things I think.

Alpkit Gamma for an economical option, nice touch is the red LED on the back of the battery case – great for back lanes.

surfer
    Free Member

I’ve got an Alpkit and a Petzl, little between them in terms of brightness (My Petzl is the £30 jobby cant remember the model) I did a night navigation course in Elterwater recently using the Petzl and it was as dark as a very dark thing with dark bits on during the night exercise and me and my partner managed the fastest time with a minimum of “oh Jesus” moments so they must be OK.

spacemonkey

I bought some kind of Petzl about 5 yrs ago and it turned out to be completely shit for anything remotely like off-road running. Wore it once > walked around a bit > jogged a bit > fell over a bit > looked at my feet a lot > went home.

Would only consider using it for camping etc.

EDIT: how come the naughty word I wrote still appears? I thought the filter cleaned stuff up, else it was a ban?

Stoner
    Free Member

shit isnt naughty.

**** **** and **** are.

iDave
    Free Member

what about **** though?

molgrips
    Free Member

Thanks, but don’t call me OP whatever you do 🙂

Back on topic, I’m bit concerned that having used bling bike lights all these years a Petzl will seem utterly crap. But I am only jogging trails not belting along singletrack.

I quite fancy one with a battery you can put about your person. Just looked at the Lupine site.. they make lovely head torches but are predictably very expensive…

trout
    Free Member

Good idea Stoner

and it would migrate to the bike helmet too 😆

Hat and model not included

Luminous
    Free Member

Model 401s are head band compatible, the light unit only weighing 116g.

401s can also run from just a two cell battery which can be mounted to the back of the head band.

Use the 401 as a bike light to ride to the event, then remove it from the bike, mount it to the head band and run.

I had a fell runner contact me last year about such useage, he wanted a light to use on the bike to get to the event, then to be able to use it to run with.

My solution was the 401

molgrips
    Free Member

Trout are you selling those?

Luminous, does it come with headband and such?

Luminous
    Free Member

Molgrips.

Yeap !.

woody2000

I may be a little heavy handed as I’ve broken the battery compartment tabs (twice) on my Alkip headlight, either that or they’re not particularly robust! Nice bright light though.

Stoner
    Free Member

a little? Have you got fists like a gorilla?

woody2000

Nope, lovely delicate little hands me 🙂

Just tried to turn the cover to remove and they snapped.

trout
    Free Member

Molegrips

Yes dont see why not and just received 5 headbands to suit .

Oh and the head unit weighs 104 grams 😉
    and 122 grams with the helmet mount fitted

helmet mount not needed for the headband.

molgrips
    Free Member

I see no prices…

trout
    Free Member

Not allowed

BadlyWiredDog

I quite fancy one with a battery you can put about your person. Just looked at the Lupine site.. they make lovely head torches but are predictably very expensive…

Silva Trail Runner
    – remote battery, designed specifically for running by a company with an orienteering background, works well.

If you’re determined to spend money, have a look at the Petzl Ultra – it’s stupidly expensive, but puts out a big floody pool of light that’s ideal for running and has a remote, rechargeable battery.

Fwiw, I’d say for running, spots aren’t necessary, you want good close-up coverage with decent peripheral illumination, being able to see 50 metres ahead isn’t particularly useful in the way it is on a bike.

molgrips
    Free Member

You could always PM me!

Luminous
    Free Member

I see no prices…

Its there on the web page, note the quick release O’ring, easy to adjust angle, etc. Oh and 1400 Lumens
    8)

Cheers

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t want 1400 lumens for running though… I woudl rather a less bright but smaller, lighter and cheaper light 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I just run with a cateye EL135 in my hand, seems good enough. Lent one to my mate who is a keen runner and he had no complaints.

tragically1969
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    I don’t want 1400 lumens for running though… I woudl rather a less bright but smaller, lighter and cheaper light

We still going on this one ? Just buy a Myo XP and be done with it.

Jamie
    Free Member

iDave:
    alpkit is great value and performance

Awww! I have been hoping you 2 crazy cats would get it together 8)

Oh and Alpkit Gamma.

Luminous
    Free Member

Molgrips.

No worries, quality usually doesnt come cheap, smaller can mean less cooling, and lighter ?, then dont forget the ray 3a.

Oh and try to avoid needing a tool kit to adjust beam direction or to mount the light to your bike
    😉

Run molgrips, run
    🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Ray 3a?

anonymouse
    Free Member

Alpkit gamma ticks all of those boxes.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

LED Lenser H7 is decent, 130 or 170 lumens for a couple of hours, longer on a lower setting, £37 from the bay.

antigee

go outdoors has led lenser H7 £45 but says 140 lumens plenty for running – was looking at getting one – the flattish looking design should reduce “bob” which is main problem – as said above wearing a cap helps but means you get a shadow

any experiences ?

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/dalesman-h7-headlamp-p141233

MrSparkle

fwiw, I use my Hope Vision 2 for my weekly night fell running outings. It’s not the most ideal thing in the world tbh, but it’s what I’ve got.

Marko

“I may be a little heavy handed as I’ve broken the battery compartment tabs (twice) on my Alkip headlight”

Battery compartment is the weak point on the Alpkit light. I have three of them, one is in bits, one has a dodgy cap on the battery compartment and one is dead – though I suspect it’s the contacts on the battery housing.

Great light though!
    Hth
    Marko

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘What running headtorch?’ is closed to new replies.